Glass bowl: screen or no screen?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by njhippie, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Use a bong and even better an ash catcher and just snap it through or get a glass screen

2. Clear glass with screen

3. used to do that all the time, works like a charm =]

4. glass screen FTW

5. Glass screens are the best invention ever.

I will never use a metal screen.

The bowls on almost all my pieces require a glass screen anyway. The holes are all about [ _ ] that big

6. No screen's I love snapping my hit's.

7. To the people that usescreens on glass pieces: Dont be foolish!!! The way that a bong filters properly is that the still burning ash falls in the water to produce extra filtered vapor/smoke. If you use a screen, only the burning smoke passes through the water and you dont get even close to maximum filtration. Plus if you have a pull out bowl its for the better so you can shoot up oxygen into your lungs more efficiently.

8. I rather have a screen that is well fitted. I hate ashes! It kills my high!

9. wtf are you talking about
    never heard that before

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nearly always.

I always keep a stock of glass screens around as long as my Headshop keeps them in stock, but they get lost frequently. My pipe can do without a glass screen but I use one anyway, yet the bong basically requires a glass screen.

I did used to have a glass pipe which I broke the hole when cleaning it, and has to use a metal screen over that... gave that pipe away shortly after though.

11. I've only been smoking for a couple months but I have never used a screen. I get ash in my mouth all the time ahaha perhaps I should invest in one.

12. ^^^ what he said...use that bigger bud. and just pay attention to what your doing and your not gonna pull anything through...but contrarily i use a screen (i grind all my bud up [lets you pack the bowl bigger :hello:])

13. wow i didnt know so many people were anti screen, lol. i always use screens, in everything, i buy like 10 packs for a few dollars from the local mart, i use em in my bongs and pipes, everything, they are practically free and last for awhile. plus with my adhd and tourettes im always subconscious about wasting weed. i have used glass jacks but they always melt or fall out of my bowl and break, or get plugged, screens work so well! i smoke in wooden and brier tobacco pipes often and they have bowls that hold 2+ grams, so i put my screen 1/4th of a way down the bowl and it hits amazing!!

14. unless you are using a glass screen, you shouldnt be using any at all. especially metal/aluminum.

15. ok. why not then? what are the cons?

16. i would definitely like to know your sources behind this information as well. i use brass and steel screens on regular occasion for my bongs and such, i dont want to pull plant matter into my percs and glass screens don't cut the mustard for me. metal screens let no plant matter through, if i wanted to, i could pull most of the bowl through with a glass screen.

so please sir, enlighten us all as to why we should not use these devil metal screens as you say.

17. My glass bowl has a built in glass screen, it's great!

18. If there is no screen in the bowl (pipe), then I will have to drop an un-ground nug chunk in it and hit it carefully. If there is no ash catcher on the bong, then I will drop a screen in the bowl.

I hate sucking ground weed ashes into my mouth.

I can understand why everyone is hating on metal screens. Why all the hate for glass screens?

19. I use glass screens myself, really like the daisy, the roor screens (for roor bowls) and the disc screen personally, always found they work the best over the minefield or star types. I do find you get a better hit with a screen and medium grind herb, as if you do not use one and you grind your stuff, you still need something to stop the grind from going down the stem and usually it does not have as good a throughput than a bowl with a properly fitted glass screen. My experience anyways.

20. I think it usually depends on the pipe (the hole in the bowl, at least- large/small), but it helps keep your pipe from getting nasty and clogged with chunky resin, at least in my experience.

The pipes that I use screens on look nicer (When you can peer through your pipe, it's all smooth, opposed to chunky and black, it's more of a clear/amber/brownish color), and in my opinion, have a better taste than the ones without. And of course, less scoobs (whatever you call them, ash in your mouth). Also, easier to clean when you boil them, because there's less of the solid buildup that you have to try and worry about pulling through the mouth or the carb, the smoother (almost liquid like substance) will typically boil right off. Plus, you don't have to scrape your shit to keep smoking out of it just in case you're not in a position to boil your pieces, but you do have to scrape off the screen - still, in my opinion, a lot easier than scraping your entire pipe with a paper clip.

Of course, I only use glass screens. A lot of headshops will sell a couple of them for a buck or so.