Glass blowing: Where to start?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Bigjim, Dec 12, 2011.

1. So I've been interested in learning to blow glass for a while. And seeing what people have been able to do in their first year has inspired me. But I just don't quite know where to start. Can anyone offer some advice?

2. Start by trying a search haha.
    Sorry not trying to be a dick but if you just search glass blowing there will be most the info you need. Theres a few blowers on the forums that are happy to help people and inform them. Also could check out talkglass.com theres alot of blowers on there and start up info

3. Well, first off i'd make an account on talkglass.com and start reading. If you access to classes, jump on it. I've taught myself everything i've done so far with just youtube and forums, but it takes a lot more trial and error. I'd read on forums for a good month or two before you decide to delve into this further. It's a very expensive hobby.

You're looking at about maybe $300 in hand tools, $100-1000+ for a torch, $300-700 for a kiln, then maybe another hundred or so for books and whatnot. Then you have to buy glass, my first order costed a little over $250 to get enough stuff to get me started and last a little while. So basically you're looking at $1000+ for start up.
    Check out my progression thread.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/toking-tools/940773-budlover1234s-glassblowing-progression.html
    Goodluck man.:smoke: