Giving my mom my kidney

Discussion in 'General' started by purproller420, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Hello fellow blades. A couple of months ago my mom was diagnosed with kidney disease/failure. As of right now her kidney function is down to 10%. Because of my mom's size she is forced to limit herself to 40 grams of protein a day. For those of you who arnt familiar with normal protein intake, thats what i eat in a meal easily. Everyday i calculate and weigh every single one of her meals. It hurts me inside everytime i see the disappointment on her face when she sees her meal.

At first, we were thinking of using my kidney as a last resort, in case her name doesnt come up on the waiting list soon enough. But shes been talking about visiting her parents in the philippines, which she cannot do due to the possibility of her name being called. Both my grandparents are in their 90's and my grandmother recently had a stroke and now suffers from alzheimers. I dont know how much longer my grandparents have, so im about to donate my kidney to my mother as soon as I am done detoxing (drugs&alcohol is not allowed 6months prior).

To be honest im scared as hell. Surgery is not really on my to do list haha. Is anybody on the city also a donor? If so, how has your life change since?

2. Damn dude. Positive vibes coming your way for sure. I don't know anyone who would do that for their mother.

3. I'm so sorry to hear that man. I'm not a donor nor do I know anybody who is but stay strong and make sure you take extra good care of your body after your kidney is gone.

4. [quote name='"gobble wobble"']Damn dude. Positive vibes coming your way for sure. I don't know anyone who would do that for their mother.[/quote]

My mother raised me as a single mother. She did everything she could to keep me and my two brothers happy and healthy. It would be selfish for me to not help the woman that supported me in everyway possible.

5. Best of luck to you man, I've had major surgery but not voluntarily, and not for my mother's sake.

Hope everything goes well :smoking:

6. [quote name='"The innovator"']I'm so sorry to hear that man. I'm not a donor nor do I know anybody who is but stay strong and make sure you take extra good care of your body after your kidney is gone.[/quote]

Thats what im also worried about. Im really physically active, so im worried this may hinder me.

7. I am an organ donor but I have not done any donating... as I would be deceased.

I do, however, donate blood on a regular basis. Yay universal Donor.

8. Respect, it's great to see people like you still out there

9. your amazing, what a noble and loving sacrifice.....positive vibes going your way.

10. [quote name='"Emblazened"']Best of luck to you man, I've had major surgery but not voluntarily, and not for my mother's sake.

Hope everything goes well :smoking:[/quote]

What happened to you? Just the thought of surgery gets me anxious haha

11. Sorry to hear it. But you're gonna be her hero man. Feel good about this

12. + rep man, in real life and in the city.

13. [quote name='"KillerKush"']I am an organ donor but I have not done any donating... as I would be deceased.

I do, however, donate blood on a regular basis. Yay universal Donor.[/quote]

I am also a donor. Situations like my mothers is a big reason why i decieded to be a donor in the first place. Why let my organs rot in the ground instead of possibly saving anothers life.

14. Brave as fuck

15. Word. Hospitals in general freak me out

16. I've had two heart surgeries, once as just a baby and once when I was 15.

Sternum sawn open and everything.

Surgery is serious shit man, make sure you are in good health going into it, and again I wish you the best

17. "As of right now her kidney function is down to 10%"

Sounds like they both are in rough shape

18. Good vibes man sorry to hear that about your moms man

19. Amazing! Hopefully she alright!

She will!