Giving away wealth

Discussion in 'General' started by camram, Oct 29, 2011.

1. I was reading Forbes and Gates says he will give all his wealth away after he passes. He said it would "ruin" his kids.

Well, if he feels it ruins people, why not give it all away right now?

2. He means it would "ruin" his kids because he feels his kids wouldn't ever work a day in there lives if he just up and gave them a couple billion dollars each.

3. Because he worked for that money. His kids didnt

4. If I was his kid I'd be pissed lol.

I've often thought of sending Bill Gates a letter and being like "Just hook me up with like 5000$ to pay off my fines so I can get back on my feet with a clean slate." It'd be literally like him giving me a penny.

5. His kids are still getting a good amount. I think hes giving them like 1% which is still a few million

6. So it's okay to work for it and then having a spending vice but spending then working is bad?

7. Maybe he shouldn't have been a crappy parent and instilled a work ethic in them, then he could leave more behind without worry that they'd never work.

8. You should work for your money.

Here's 50 billion dollars tho

9. I dont care who you are. If you suddenly get a few billion dollars, you aint gonna give a god damn about working.

10. That's what I'm thinking. The first thing you're gonna do is live the fuck outta life for a few years. Probably most of your years. When you get older and start worrying about silly stuff like legacy, then you might start giving yourself things to work on. It will always be optional, though, so it isn't even really fair to call it work.

11. Not necessarily true. Wouldn't you love to go to school just for whatever field you want, with no risk of if you dont end up getting a job in it when you finish? You could go and pursue anything you wanted instead of "something practical and guaranteed" to help you not end up in the gutter.

If you would just live one big party than you probably weren't raised the best, I'm sure a ton of people would live out an active lifestyle of accomplishing things, taking money and creating something out of it, instead of just buying stupid shit and doing basically nothing the rest of your life. There is a human drive to be something.

12. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oVcEL-agZw&ob=av2e]Atmosphere - National Disgrace - YouTube[/ame]

13. If you want to live a billionaire lifestyle, mansions, private jets, etc. you're gonna have to work to maintain it.

14. I guess you forgot the age old saying of "Money corrupts"

Sure Id love a few mil, but getting a few bil? Even I can admit that much money would fuck me up

15. I'm with the guy above. If I was given a few bil, I would try to accomplish things more difficult than if I didn't have money.

Heck that's an awesome idea of like going back to school for a major you love. I would start playing the trombone again.

16. If you had a billion dollars even, you could do basically anything you wanted for the rest of your life.

Say you're 21 and you get a billion dollars.
    Say you live to be 80.. that's 21,535 days in 59 years.
    1,000,000,000$ into 21,535 days is 46,436$ a day.

You could buy a ferrari every 2 days until you are 80.
    I don't think they would have any want to work...at all.

17. if i was born in an earlier year like before all these inventions ...

fuck i would have all these inventions like the internet

18. Well just to clarify, I doubt anyone in the world has a bil in cash even. That would just be very irresponsible. No bank is going to insure that much money. Plus, if you have it in cash like at home, everyday you are losing a large chunk of money on interest.

19. The thing with a massive amount of wealth (and the thing I think answers the question: why not just give it away right now?) is that wealth begets wealth. If you get a ton of money you probably can't even hope to spend in any expedient way, you can certainly afford as one of your first acts to acquire the help of someone who will help you turn your vast wealth into even more wealth.

While I appreciate the guy who broke it down to daily worth, it doesn't even scratch the surface. While you have the 40-odd thousand per day, the rest of your money can be expanding itself in value. Even if you bought the ferrari every two days, you'd probably still be making almost enough money to offset the expense.

Wealth in the service of more wealth is in a sense wasted.

20. 46,436$ a day? thats a lot of fucking pot :bongin: