girlfriend becomes a bitch on NFL Sundays

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by MaltedGrapez, Oct 3, 2011.

1. I started dating this girl at the end of my junior year of college and we moved into together in california (i'm from boston, my parents divorced so i really had nowhere else to go) after our senior year. So we've been living together essentially since the end of june this year.

anyway, the relationship been a little rough these past months. I don't know why, she's just been a lot more pissy over these months. I'm a big sports guy, football first and baseball second. I listen on the radio to as many of the red sox games as I can and I love to watch football on sunday. I've been watching football on sundays ever since I can remember. It's tradition. But now with football sunday my gf gets so fucking bitchy. she tells me she doesn't feel wanted but i always invite her to watch football with me and its not like we dont have sex, etc on sundays. I don't ignore her. I just usually watch football most of the day. She's known this about me since we started dating. SHe never cared really when I watched football at college, prob cause she did homework w/o me distracting her. Now she just gets SO PISSY.

For example, we like to make these bets based on Pro Pick'Em's FF (choose whose gonna win the football games, whoever has most points at the end of the week wins and wins what they bet.) So last week I bet that she had to made make me her new england clam chowder (she makes the best) and tonight shes making it. We went to the store together before sunday night football to buy ingredients for the chowder and anything else. I ask her to go get the potatoes and carrots while i wait in-line at the deli to get turkey meat. she says in this specific tone, like frustrated/angry, "what, are we in a rush?" alluding to that i might wanna get back to watch football -- which I do! but i'm only asking cause there's no point in just standing there when she could grab something. all the while i am being sweet trying to get her to laugh some and kiss her -- and she does laugh some. but then we get home and she starts to cook and i call she is so angry. like whacking the onion with her knife and over-exaggerating her struggles with the shitty potato peeler and can opener for clams. I get up and help her and tell her she can always ask for help and she's like "you say i can but i really can't" which is bullshit. what does that even mean? I always help her when she doesn't ask and when she does. the vibe she gives off now is just so pissy!! She LOVES cooking normally, too. I mean, you'd think she'd be happy cooking one of her favorite recipes and for me-- she tells me she likes cooking for me cause I appreciate her cooking so much. I don't get it. It's like sunday football ruins everything for her today.

oh and this morning i was going to go to church with her & her family but then she wanted to join them for lunch & a movie (lunch w/her family after church is so boring and takes forever!!!) and I wanted to be back to watch the patriots on CBS. she knows that. she knows I want to watch the pats. and she seems perfectly happy and fine about it when she goes and when she gets home she's happy and sweet but then it all goes down hill after just a little while. i don't get it! she gets so extra-super pissy when i watch football. I love football though. Im not giving it up.

How do i calm her down?

sorry for all the text :(

2. Get DVR. Record games. Do what she wants to make her happy, watch games later. Problem solved.

3. what? ... i don't even have cable just basic cable. i'm not rich, DVR, psssh! i work at starbucks and they pay me like SHIT. no other jobs in cali.

watch games later? i might as well not watch them.

4. no, fuck that. Once a week she can deal with you watching tv for 3 hrs. Oh god!!! that's so unfortunate. That was the problem i ran into during world cup last year. I started dating my girl in '08. I told her 2 yrs in advance, world cup comes around every 4 yrs. Month of june, that takes priority over pretty much everything. She still bitched. Oh well, i warned her well in advance. Deal with it. 1 month every 4 years should not be a big deal. Neither should 3 hrs once a week.

5. No screw that. I'm a girl and I still agree with the guy above me. What about what makes him happy? Really, whats the big deal? It's one day out of the week to watch a couple games at home. It's not like you're going out every Sunday to watch the games and leaving her at home.

She needs to realize that this is important to you. Even if she hates football, its something that you have been doing for years. Tell her she needs to love you for who you are, and you are the kind of guy that posts up in front of the TV every Sunday from September to January. If she really cares about you then she'll act interested and watch it with you or just find something else to do.

She needs to get over herself, this really isn't a big deal.

6. Dump her ass on Saturday night.

Beg her back Tues. morning.

7. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFgAORdRUf4]Raging Bull - "About a Steak" - YouTube[/ame]

8. for real. she even tells me she likes football/baseball and watches it with me sometimes. I don't get why she says those things then becomes a bitch on sundays.

9. I did not even read it. That's just how woman work my friend

10. You can record it as suggested. And don't give me any BS about not being able to afford to record it! My baby brother's died on him last week and he was bragging that he got one at a thrift store for less than $10! :p

You might suggest that Sundays are her day to go pamper herself- hit a spa, have a Girl's Day Out with friends, visit with family, watch the latest "Chick-flick" at the theater, etc. You'll just sit and keep out of her way, while you watch football. We all need "Me time". :rolleyes:

11. Shit, bitches be trippin. Lol. But on a real note if my girl ever says I cant watch the Patriots or the Bruins, its gonna be a LONG talk about my god given right to watch sports. And just give her a foot/ back massage while u enjoy the game, that keeps my woman quiet. Lol

12. Tell that cunt to make you a sammich, get you a beer, and give you some head

13. "Bitches be loco"

14. Really? Football over a girl? That's your problem. I'm not that big of a fan of an organization I have no control or say in, whatsoever. I love my Lions, but I like people that I have close, intimate, significant relationships with versus sports organizations.

Am I the only one?

15. Mate c'mon really I don't know how the seasons work over there but here its 3 months. Really think about it lets say 3 hours per game once a week for the 3 months. He wants 36 hours alone a year that's not to much to ask. Hell he does not even want to be alone he just does not want to be barked at

16. not sure how much the following will be useful, especially cuz it really depends upon lots of unknowns...

if you really wanna try and solve the issue there are two (probably more) ways to go about it:
    1) make her feel more involved when you watch the games
    2) help her time activities she does by herself to coincide with your games.

For example: To try and make her feel more involved:
    -perhaps talk with her about the plays during commercial breaks.
    -try preparing the food you wish to have during the game the night before or the morning of. this could make the whole situation more relaxing and enjoyable.
    -try picking out snacks/drinks/lunch that she particularly enjoys for game days. start out with mostly things she likes, and slowly make it more even with things you like
    -i would guess that betting against each other isn't a great idea because it fosters combative and competitive behavior--you two could go in together on a bet against some other friends (preferably another couple?). this could help her feel like she's on your team
    -maybe do something with her that you don't particularly enjoy on saturday or before/after the game.

For example: To try and have her do something she would do by herself at the same time as you watching the game:
    - if you split up chores, perhaps suggesting she do her's while the game is on
    - if she enjoys the gym or reading a book perhaps she can while you watch the game (buying a pair of headphones for the TV (or her) can go along way)

And I would really suggest that you pick out at least a couple sundays during the season on which you will not watch football and make it a point to spend that time with her doing something she enjoys.

The most important thing is to communicate: find out the real specific reason why she's buggin' out--there's usually something: you don't talk with her, she feels uninvolved, she just plain hates sports (not sure bout her), she feels like you're using her (having her do shit because she lost at a bet on something you enjoy and she doesn't isn't going to help her be in a better mood--like i said try being on the same side or if she loses let her slide)

what she means by saying "you say I can but i can't" is that she feels like you'll be unhappy if you help her instead of watching the game. --incidentally it totally reminds me of The Break Up and the whole dish washing scene...

just some ramblings--don't mean to offend if i did..

17. football > errrething

18. [quote name='"yoregan"']Get DVR. Record games. Do what she wants to make her happy, watch games later. Problem solved.[/quote]

Don't do that. She wins then. You are doing nothing wrong. If a childish girl wants to bitch about your life let her go. She's immature. You should tell her she shouldn't be such a selfish bitch.

19. so he is supposed to watch the games later to make her happy? how about she lets him watch the games without bitching so HE can be happy. what the fuck.

20. i know my chica doesnt like that i watch football all day saturday and sunday but she puts up with it. if your girl cant put up with something like that without being a bitch then she has issues.