Girl Scout Cookies(Auto)

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Johnny Dope, Jan 13, 2016.

1. What's happenin y'all, I'm Johnny.
    This is my first grow in my new setup.
    -3.5'x3.5'x5.5ft grow tent
    -400 watt dimmable ipower mh/hps
    I'm growing 2 plants right now, I'll be adding more, probably a plant every month. I have 1 gsc seed left, and four more different strains on the way.
    I used 5 gallon Walmart buckets and drilled a ton of holes on the bottom.
    One pot I used Fox Farms Ocean Forrest and the other I used Fox Farm Happy Frog.
    The mh is @ 50% for 24hrs(might do research and change that) until the plants break surface.
    I have 6" ducting splitting from my ventilation fan(an air purifying fan) one end going straight into the tent, the other straight into my lights cool tube.
    My plan for the gsc is to break the plant down after harvest, collect the kief, make hash oil, roll the bud in the hash oil, toss the oil covered bud in a container with kief.. and vualla!! moonrocks ;)
    Was going to keep my moonrock idea too myself but I love to help out my fellow stoners n growers get higher! I'll start posting pics now of the setup and I'll continue updating during the process! Thanks! n please subscribe!

2. First set of pics

Attached Files:

3. Johnny D, liking the setup you got goin there. I've just started some white cookies, which is gsc x white widow. I'm super excited for this strain. Have you grown the gsc auto before?

4. #4 Mcjr450, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
    Nice set up man.. Looks like you put alot into in. I really like me some GSC! I have about an 8th left from my last harvest.. Been jarred since right after Halloween.. Some tasty nuggets right there!!! Not a huge harvest but definitely some top shelf Dank for sure. Idk if you've ever grown them before but my advise would be easy on the nutes she's sensitive.

BTW my profile pic is GSC 5 weeks into flower.

5. Man I appreciate that advice! I'll def go easy on the nutes then. My problem is then heat in the tent!
    I can get 78 degrees if I'm lucky..but mostly it stays at 80-81. Which is no bueno. I'll do some research but I thought maybe you could throw some ideas my way.

6. #6 killset, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
    There's nothing wrong w/ 80° don't let them get much higher but you're doing fine. You're plants will handle 80/81 no different then the 78 you can get. Its only 3 degrees, plus its not staying there. Not that it matters. Most grows fluctuate atleast that. I know mine and all the other growers I know does without any problem at all. Problems arise from longer periods of higher temps. Not a little bit of fluctuation from well with in an acceptable range of 78-81. They're not as delicate as you've been led to believe. Seriously man nice set up and it looks like its running just fine. Looks like you have things pretty well under control for the 1st time out of the gate. And the moon rocks idea, thanks man I'm on it...lol

Got a couple questions, maybe I'm not seeing it right. Its hard to tell from the pic and my shitty eyes. On your 1st pic of the tent w/ the door almost all the way zipped shut, is the tent bulging out? Are the exhaust fans turned on in the pic?

7. Sweet. Thanks for reassuring me on the temps bro. Had me a little worried. And yea it bulges. The white fan on the side is on high and it feeds air into the light and tent. I'm thinking maybe turn it down to med? I'm about to update y'all on some pics. I moved the tent by the ac vent. So when that kicks on, the tent gets a good cool down. I don't have any fans pushing air out. But I did open up the vents on the bottom. As you will see in the pics.
    And bro... Let me know when u do those moonrocks. I got it from Kurupt. He's a rapper thats known as the one who "created" the "strain". I read that he used gsc.. So I was like yea thats happening.

8. Duct from ac vent stops right in front of the fan so the cold air is filtered

Attached Files:

9. #9 killset, Jan 14, 2016
    Bulging is not good. You need negative pressure to keep smell under control and exhaust the stale air. It should be sucking in ever so slightly. Blowing outward it will push stinky air out the zippers and any small pin holes. Rather its legal or not, smell is still an issue for most growers. Even in legal states its best to keep things on the down low. Your going to need an inline fan to keep a steady supply of fresh air and dispose of the stale air. Inline fans don't only control temp, they make sure your plants get enough co2. Without it your not allowing your plants to grow to full potential. Plus you need to exhaust the stale air away from the grow so the co2 depleted warm air isn't being sucked back in. It will be very important if you have any warm weather in your area come summer. Short duct with the least amount of bends helps too. Long ducts with bends restrict the airflow causing exhaust fans to work harder

10. #10 Mcjr450, Jan 14, 2016
    Yea man killset is right.. Your gonna want to generate a complete air exchange every 3-5 mins. Bring air in through the bottom and exhaust hot/old air out of the top. I bet you'll see a slight decrease in Temps also! Slight tweak in your setup, other than that everything else looks great.

Also I would like to mention that an air purifier for intake air isnt nesesary.. Intake air from your room would work just fine. Now if you choose not to use a carbon scrubber the purifier may help some with the smell.

11. Ahh ok! I planned on ordering an inline fan and a carbon filter combo next paycheck. With the fan that blows air into the tent on low and that extra fan blowing air out, hopefully I'll be good once I get that. For now I'll do what I can to reduce the bulge! And im really only using that fan cuz it works with the setup and i wasnt using it. Plus it helps prevent me from blowing dust n stuff into the tent. but thanks guys! Love constructive criticism. It's how we learn! Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for these babies to pop thru the soil. I've never germinated. I've always popped the seed into the soil and let nature take its course. Hasn't failed me... Yet... Lol CMON SEEDLINGS! SPROUT MY LITTLE BABIES!!! :p

12. Quick update, I put the intake fan on low, no more bulge!

13. .

Attached Files:

14. #14 killset, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
    That's still not negative pressure man. You're misunderstanding. You won't achieve proper air flow until you buy the proper size inline fan. Turning a regular fan down wont do anything but slow up air flow making things worse. Not having enough co2 will mean your plants will not perform to their potential. The only way to achieve that is with a powerful inline fan. Good thing is if you get the right size fan it will handle both the exhaust and intake when set up right. Imagine someone reducing your oxygen intake and telling you to run a mile. You're going to struggle worse then if you had the ability to adequately breath. Same thing w/ plants but instead of oxygen then utilize co2. The only way we can make sure they have enough co2 is using powerful inline fans. You just lowered the co2 being brought into the tent. Which probably wasn't optimal in the 1st place. Airflow is one of the most important and overlooked parts of growing. People always think its only for smell and heat. Negative pressure is caused by more air being pushed out then in. Your tent is designed for what's called passive air flow. The vents on the bottom are opened and an inline fan exhausts the warm, stale, stinky air. While the inline fan is exhausting the air it is passively pulling in fresh air from the bottom vents

Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Ahh I was just saying I thought I helped until I buy the inline fan or fans. Still planned on getting that, just thought I helped the situation but I guess not. So meanwhile till I tackle that prob, u suggest maybe the fan on medium or high?

16. Please read the last bit of my last post I edited it adding a bit about passive air flow which is what you're tent is designed for. I would turn your fan back up bit understand you are not supplying the plant w/ enough fresh air to optimize your grow. Plus exhausting your tent in the room the tent is in, is just drawing that stale air back into the grow

Sent from my XT1028 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. Sorry man. I'm high af right now n I'm also completely inexperienced in growing in a tent, I'm sorry if I'm a dumbass n not understanding u correctly. I'm trying. Things are so different when u talking to someone via message rather than in person. So it saying I should just use the bottom vent flaps to let the air enter the tent and only use an inline fan pushing air out?

18. Yes you should have an adequately sized exhaust fan pulling the air out of the tent through one of the top holes. You can then leave a couple of flaps open at the bottom for air to be passively drawn in. As the air is pulled out by the exhaust fan, fresh air will naturally be pulled in through the vents at the bottom. I'd say getting a proper exhaust fan (and carbon filter but you can add that a little later once smell becomes more of an issue if you can't afford both right now) is essential and should be prioritised.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

19. Gotchya. Now when these ladies get smelly, those flaps won't let smell out will they? I'm assuming the air current won't let the smell out since it will be suckin air in, but I'm just wondering.

20. UPDATE! Ladies n gentleman.. We have lift off!

Attached Files: