Gil-mania! My first No-Till ever

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Gilman420, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Hi and welcome to the start of my first no-till soil grow. I am going all organic. Which means you need to know soil mechanics well. I have started a Living Soil thread here in the organic section of GC. I am currently going to be looking for a micro scope to check out the soil life. For now I have mixed up the starter mix and just need some worms to throw into the pots. My soil is made up of :
    -compost from duck and chicken bedding
    -Canadian Sphagnum Peat moss
    -Lava rocks/pumice

I made a homemade plant pot out of garden fabric and a laundry basket :) and the one on the right is a 15 Gal smarty.
    P7301104.JPG P7301105.JPG
    Also got some molasses for the watering.
    P7301106.JPG
    As for the first plants going in we got some clones clipped, 2 have roots. I hope I get some roots on the other ones.

First are the goblin god clones (REG) from sanctuary gardens
    P7301107.JPG
    Next up are the two with roots the first one is a Purple Trainwreck clone (FEM) from Humboldt County Seed Org. and the other split top clone is an Afghani (REG) not sure what seed company the sex on that is already known to be female. P7301109.JPG P7301110.JPG P7301111.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  2. A microscope will turn you into a soil expert incredibly quick. Keep it up yo!

lovin u (=

• Like Like x 4
  3. I am not sure if I should spend extra to get one that has the USB hook up or just get a cheaper one and try to take a picture with my camera threw the eye piece. I really want to post pictures ya know...guess I love you guys and gals too much to leave you out...I might spend the extra and get a dope microscope for you guys to see the pics.

• Like Like x 2
  4. if you want to post pics a usb scope is the way to go.

• Like Like x 3
  5. I took these pictures last night. This is still just the start, so I haven't put the mulch down yet, but I have a ton of hay so I am good. Also, I still need to find a large supply of worms. I might go forage out in the woods under a rotting log :)
    P8031118.JPG
    Below is Purple Trainwreck
    P8031119.JPG
    Below is Afghani
    P8031120.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. just check the magnification on the usb microscope before buying. I've seen a few bs versions for sale that or are only like 5x-10x optical or just a sensor with digital zoom. some are pretty much just upside down webcams haha

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yea I saw some of those. This one looks like a compound microscope and instead of the eye piece it has a cord coming out and into the computer. It says it has both, it comes with eye pieces as well.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. verry cool, that looks ideal. you get a compact sensor, but with full optics. the eyepiece should be super useful, you could focus and observe normally, and then connect the camera sensor when the shot is already focused and composed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. It is here :D I am trying to set it up now. P8111133.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  10. Well, I got the scope working. I can't seem to find any micro organisms yet. All I see are bubbles I think. These pics were taken two days ago...I will have to update soon as they are starting to grow alot quicker.
    P8121147.JPG
    Same pic as above except flash this time. P8121148.JPG
    Purple Trainwreck below P8121149.JPG
    Afghani below, seems to not be doing as well as PTW P8121150.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. so far so good but i think that laundry pot is over crowded, or it will be soon. you will be surprised how much they can grow in big soil volume. personally i think 1 plant per 20 gallon container should be the limit. not saying it cant be more just you will have to do a lot of training.

• Like Like x 3
  12. I see, I think I saw someone else put three or four plants in a 20 gallon and that is why I thought it was ok. I might not veg them as long then so they don't get too big, but I do have the flower tent full tho until 2 months or so. Will make an interesting grow. Yea, I was thinking about trying to train them to cover the soil with a nice canopy. I am thinking about buying tomato cages later on.

• Like Like x 2
  13. I have 2 plants per 10 gal smart pot. Works fine, next time i might do 1 per 10 gal or 2 per 20 gal.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  14. It's only been 4 days since last pics, but things have changed alot. Put some straw down. I decided to throw certain veg. scraps on too. Still need to get worms :( I know I am slacking. Also, I have some fungus gnats. I am thinking that is what is going on with the afghani on the left.
    P8181166.JPG
    Purple Trainwreck chugging along
    P8181167.JPG
    Afghani is starting to look better.
    P8181168.JPG Tied her down with these clips and pipe cleaners. Temps are still high. Looking forward to fall temps :)
    P8181169.JPG
    Still trying to grow some roots on my goblin god cuts. One had a small tap root on the bottom. I am waiting until I see one come out the bottom of the container.
    P8181170.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. Get worms asap! Some malted barley and cover crop. Gonna eant some neem cake and kelp meal. Also humic acid. I use bioag ful-power.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'd be careful mulching with food scraps in containers, you don't want to start thermal composting on top of your plants.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ok, I hear ya. That will cause heat in the soil? I know compost piles heat up. I won't do anymore of that. I just need to get a worm bin going damit. I am going to just buy some fishing worms today, cuz I don't have time or a back yard to dig. Is lettuce ok to put as mulch if it gets wilted?

• Like Like x 2
  18. yeah leafy greens are fine, id just let it dry out a little before mulching with it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. So, I found out today fishing worms are not good composters. I am going to order red wiggler worms from the internet. I found some worms dead on the top of the soil on the pot with the hay. Group update-
    P8261182.JPG P8261183.JPG
    Purple Trainwreck is definitely taking over the plant pot. P8261184.JPG
    Afghani going slow and steady P8261185.JPG
    Cover crop is coming in :) P8261186.JPG
    My goblin god clone finally had some roots. Yay! She is in her new home, a 15 gallon smart pot. P8261188.JPG P8261189.JPG

• Like Like x 4