Gibson Guitars

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Immunetou, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Now, I know this has been talked about here and there in the music forums (yes, I did search to make sure not to retread), we have Fast & Furious for the gun runners, apparently now Gibson Guitars is also a large threat for this admin. I mean, really? You need to activate a full tactical SWAT raid for a guitar seller?

Now, not to jump to far ahead, but if they were selling bombs, tons of cocaine or even "running guns" <that would be rich, the govenment raiding someone ELSE for running guns. LMAO! Would be after the competition, but I digress> but a full tactical raid because of "illegal wood.":mad:
    "Gibson Guitar CEO slams U.S. raids as "overreach""

"(Reuters) - Gibson Guitar Corp.'s chief slammed the U.S. government on Wednesday for sending armed agents to raid two Tennessee factories under a law aimed at curbing the illegal harvest of tropical hardwoods."

Gibson Guitar CEO slams U.S. raids as overreach | Reuters
    <click the link to read the full article. I didn't want to force anyone to read it by posting the whole here.>

So, we now have:
    Fast & Furious
    Gibson Guitars
    Iran Assassination Plot
    <may still turn out be worth the sudden hype, jury is still out for me there>
    Obama Admin fully supports the Occupy Wallstreet Protests <This is enough to tell me something is shady going on there>
    Has bypassed the Congressional process on THREE occasions. <If you have to bypass Congress to get your law passed, you know there is some shady shit there>
    Says nothing about the many countries turning more and more to Sharia Law or its threat to America and its sovereignty <That is Islamic State Government for those who don't know...yeah, we would all have our heads chopped off for being here and saying what we do>
    New Jobs Bill only has a basis of fear for support <What is this, three strikes and your out? Not one economic expert, or otherwise, has said the jobs bill is good and even the Congressional Budget Office and majority of Congress Dems say it is bad>
    Obama has richest people in the world financially backing him, but he is for the poor people <uh huh>
    Has not shut down Gitmo as promised
    Got us into war in Lybia
    Has not pulled us out of Iraq or Afghan
    <Yes, he has withdrawn troops from Iraq, but we are still VERY there>
    The top law enforcement official in America, AG Holder, is caught lying and is lying more to get out of it but is backed by Obama
    Has gone back on promise to lay off MMJ and instead created more legislation than any other president and allowed even more raids on MMJ dispensaries
    <I have not problem going after cartels. They murder and steal and rape for fun, based on evidence, but seriously? Private grows and businesses that followed guidance of the government to be more legit, and then use that info tog o after them? That is fuuuuuuuuuucked up!>
    Has Not taken blame for one of his actions.

I could go on and on. The above are all fact based claims and I can get you the links to support if desired. How much longer are people going to drink this guy's bullshit soup? I mean, seriously. I cannot think of one admin that has had more shady dealings in THREE years, not even a full term, in history. I could be wrong. But has anyone been more fucked up as a president than Obummer?

And for those who vehemently hate Bush, Bush has nothing on this guy. Bush had his controversies but they really weren't that many and majority weren't that big of a deal. Everything Obama does that is shady goes against every ethic, moral and legal basis of America. I really think he is an enemy of the state. I don't think he likes America at all. Either that or he is utterly incompetent.

2. those aren't all his fault, really. but that is overreach, just not by obama

3. I get a kick out of people ready to point a finger at one person, potus, while ignoring the source of the power, the 536 other people on capital hill. (congress/senate)

I also have to point out that many of the nations agencies are behaving in a rogue fashion, ignoring the probable cause, reasonable evidence, search warrants based on proof, not speculation... the 'overreach' is a sign of government failing, central power is over reached and loosing control of its own factions, no checks and balances...i.e... tyranny has taken over and it will take the people rising up to get the government back under our control, as it was intended when this nation was formed.

4. I'm with you on 95% of that stuff. But one or two things up there cause me to raise an eyebrow.

Nixon certainly ranks up there as far as overall terribleness and corruption. Don't forget him.

Obama and Bush are fundamentally the same... only I can't recall Bush going back and forth on MMJ so many times as Obama has. At least with Bush we basically knew where we stood. Obama has changed his opinion on cannabis issues numerous times.

5. I meant to add that I felt the list belonged to him and/or his administration. My point is, it has happened on his watch and he refuses to take any responsibility. That was all.

And yes, Nixon was pretty jacked up too. Bush was screwed up but had his good points too. So far, what are Obama's good points? Other than feel good emotional answers, can anyone point to anything factual he has done that has put this country on a road to success? And I am being open for suggestions here, not trying to be a complete pain in the ass.

6. I do have to give some credence to your point. Well played. I do understand that the pres doesn't have his fingers in everything that occurs. I get in a twist when it is clear that he does and still refuses to admit it.

7. #7 garrison68, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
    Gibson is not what it once was, it's a huge corporation that just churns out expensive instruments that are not worth nearly what people pay. How many more millions of Les Pauls, one of the muddiest-sounding electric guitars ever made, does the world really need? Every time you turn around they're releasing new versions of it, and wasting good wood for basically the same crappy sound that almost all of them have. Just my 2 cents.

8. Well he did authorize the head shot on that Somali pirate and he likes beer so he's got that going for him :D

9. How can anyone believe that Obama is sitting in the white house naive to all of this and innocent with nothing but good intentions?

I wish people would stop with all the unrealistic optimism. Obama is a globalist puppet who was put in office to finish us off as a super power.

It's just as simple as that.

10. I don't care if they make the worst guitar in the world and sell it highly over priced it is none of the governments business.

If Gibson were using illegals or manufacturing in China they would have been left alone.

11. Using up rare woods so that future generations can't have any is wrong, whoever does it. Gibson adds insult to injury by manufacturing junk, pandering to collectors and kids, for profit. Addionally, and this is not necessarily Gibson's fault, fine old instruments have been priced out of reach for working musicians, and often end up in collectors' closets rather than being played. They do have the right to do this, and we have a right to point it out.

12. If your going to take that stance wouldn't it make more sense that he is told nothing? If he is a puppet and just does as he is told he is much safer to that group by keeping him in the dark than if they give him all their secrets.

13. Well wood is replaceable. Anyone can go online right now and buy all sorts of rare hardwoods. I don't think Gibson is trying to destroy the planet. They can price their guitars at any price they want if it makes them money. I think they are trying to run a business and manufacture a product. If they haven't broken a law then the feds should not be harassing them.

14. I'm sure they do that to all presidents.

There are lots of people in the state department and the pentagon who don't change every four years. Many of the advisors are the same from term to term. Besides that all the presidents are CFR members and run with a certain crowd of people so they do tend to down with the plan what ever it may be.

15. The real issue is about forcing Gibson to move their manufacturing over seas as every US manufacturer will do eventually. That's how you create a post industrial society in America.

Gibson Guitar uses a small fraction of the world's tropical hardwoods, compared to that used for furniture and flooring, and because it uses so little it can use it sustainably, Juszkiewicz said. He said his company has been a leader in this area with its line of SmartWood instruments, using wood certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.

"The issue here is not illegal logging or some conservation abuse," he said. "The laws that are being identified by the Department of Justice have to do with protectionism by the country of origin, keeping work in that country and therefore not allowing something that isn't that value-added to be exported."

The Lacey Act, enacted in 1900 and amended in 2008 to broaden the range of plant products it includes, makes it illegal to trade in plants obtained in violation of U.S. or foreign law.

16. Gibson already has overseas manufaturing plants and most of their instruments, marketed under other names, such as Epiphone, have not been made in the United States for many years.

17. [quote name='"maxrule"']

Well wood is replaceable. Anyone can go online right now and buy all sorts of rare hardwoods. I don't think Gibson is trying to destroy the planet. They can price their guitars at any price they want if it makes them money. I think they are trying to run a business and manufacture a product. If they haven't broken a law then the feds should not be harassing them.[/quote]

Well they DID break a law, didn't they?

But yeah, this pretty much sucks. Uber bull.

18. I used to have an Epiphone. It was a great guitar. But I really don't know that much about the instruments. I'm no musician.

19. Complete bullshit. Obama is such a massive fuck it's ridiculous.

20. #20 maxrule, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011

Yeah the feds are saying that they broke a law that was amended in 2008, The Lacey Act. No charges have been brought.

I'm sure its a very important piece environmental of legislation. :rolleyes:

Cross The Border, Lose Your Bentley; The Lacey Act Applies To Automobiles, Too | The Truth About Cars

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96QOaEUnPY0]Dana with Gibson CEO - Henry Juszkiewicz - YouTube[/ame]