Ghs - Bubba Kush, Lemon Skunk, El Nino, Trainwreck, Cheese

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by dweenz, Jun 14, 2013.

1. #1 dweenz, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
    Hello all this is my my first journal. I am finishing my flower room and have 7 lovely ladies in my veg room all started from GHS feminised seed stock. I started the seeds may 10th so they are almost 6 weeks old. Growing them in dirt to make sure they live! I will clone from each strain for my 24 plant undercurrent. 3 Bubbas and 1 of each other strain. I plan to do half hydro half soil for my first try in a while I don't want to have a zero harvest if I fuck up the dwc :). I am wondering if they look stunted a bit for 6 weeks, I had a 7.5 - 8 ph in my tap water and didnt realize it till they were about 4 weeks along. I also recently transplanted them into the 2 gallon pots. they have been in the 2 gallon pots for 2 weeks now.

so far these seedlings have been good the trainwreck went super tall right away and was constantly falling over. i supported it and now it is the biggest by far of my plants. the stock is 3 times thicker than any others. my lemon skunk was really weak looking early on and had warped leaves but it is now filling out nicely. the el nino has shown some leaves with discoloration and decay almost or rust. but just a couple leaves so far and not too major. the cheese has been the most bushy  of them all lots of branching early on. the bubbas i had 3 that lived and one of them was very stunted compared to her sisters. since i have been giving them ph balanced tap water only she has recovered alot and now shows the light green tips of new growth.

the smell from the plants is as follows bubba kush - very strong odour from this one hard to describe citrus skunk kinda pungant, Train wreck - kinda reminds me of old school pot plant smell earthy tones, Lemon skunk - i cannot detect an odour from this plant yet unless i rub the stock which i dont like to do. El nino - smells strange to me not strong smelling maybe like a hay smell... but this is just the faint odours from the leaves and stem im sure the buds will be much different.
    IMAG0059.jpg IMAG0060.jpg IMAG0061.jpg
    IMAG0062.jpg IMAG0063.jpg IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0065.jpg IMAG0072.jpg

I have already completed a DIY chiller from a 30 pint dehumidifier I got off kijiji for 50 bucks.
    IMAG0079.jpg

I am waiting for the stainless wort chiller to arrive total cost for me  on the chiller is about 150 so far the shipping on the wort chiller was a hard pill to swallow but i wanted to get er done it cost me 80 bucks once shipping was all in. I live in BC canada and it was shipped from new york. I built a box for the condenser and sealed it up good with 6 inch ducting out either end it doubles as an exhaust fan for the room. to maintain a negative air pressure and not allow smells to escape. though my room is well sealed any positive air pressure in the room can force the smells out of the fresh air intake which is unfiltered.

I also have a carbon filter and 400 cfm exhaust fan for when it gets too hot or too humid the exhaust kicks in. I am going to run 2000 watts 1000 for the hydro and 1000 for the dirt. I plan to run 6- 5" net pots per tub and 4 tubs for a 5 ft  x 4 ft area a 5th tub as a control manifold. still in the process of figuring it all out though any pointers appreciated. my veg room currently is only running a 200 watt cfl which is adequate for the 7 seedlings in there now. I will likely get a 400 watt metal halide to replace the cfl at some point.

I plan to stagger my grows so i can harvest once a month.my veg area is 4ft x 6ft and i have about 10 x 10 to flower. i like the sea of green idea of shorter plants and less veg time. a lot to think about for a first time hydro guy. 

2. Got my uniseals and pipe today going to start building tonight! super stoked to have parts to work with now. i got a 3x3x3 sxsxs T and a 3" to 1" reducer then i realized 1 " is big for my pump and went with a 3/4 reducer. 4 3" 90's and a length of pipe im ready to rock this thing. i went back to home depot to get 4 bins and realized they are slightly bigger than the other one i bought before but no matter i need 4 for my plants and one for my return/control tub so it works out. I will post some pics of it completed. my girls are looking nice that trainwreck is really outstretching the rest. im going to probably bend her over soon ;) hoping i can get cuttings in another week or 2 itching to get this thing running. I think i will just keep my cuttings in the cloner  for an extra week or 2 after i see roots and get a mini veg out of them before they hit the 12/12 in my sog. i am totaly new to this so i don't really know what im doing but i think this should work.

3. #3 dweenz, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
    some updated pics of the girls.
    <div> View attachment 119405 View attachment 119404 View attachment 119403
    View attachment 119401 View attachment 119400
    View attachment 119399 View attachment 119398
    View attachment 119406

this is the trainwrecks biggest leaf thus far. i bent it over but haven't taken pics yet.

so far so good stunted them a bit early on without adjusting my tap ph it was 7.5 - 8 and 130 ppm they got very dark green at one point and stopped growing new growth for a few days but since i have adjusted it to 6 ph its been all good.

i havent given them regular nutes i fed with gh twice and not since adjusting ph i figured the nutes are still there in the soil. was thinking wait till they yellow a bit lower leaves to feed? massive growth is not my goal i need clones and mothers enough to keep up with my 24 site grow and at some point will flower these mothers in dirt as well. pics are coming soon of my UC 100+ gallon 24 site RDWC.

I got my 5 inch holesaw today and am awaiting net pots hoping soon. pipework is together and I am installing a water line with RO filter and 2 45 gallon drums as a top up reservoir. i think i will use the lucas formula for my first run and see how it goes i have heard mixed reviews but i want to run this under current without a changeout if i can. the current culture guys say it works.  i have heard claims of people getting 3 runs without a scrub down changeout cold water and lots of circulation.

i am not doing any veg on this other than what they get in the cloner (if i leave em in there for 3-4 weeks they will get a bit of stretch no?) then pop em in the 12/12 and they stretch a bit more but my goal is sog. keep em short but with lots of bud sites and maintain a square foot per plant  (roughly)

i can tell already the TW is gonna be a bitch to control on the height but it  does seem to bend rather well. all the rest seem quite uniform the cheese and elnino are out pacing the kushes but they had a 6-7 day head start. cheese has an amazing amount of branching in a short 12 inch height it is literally a bush. the el nino is like  a mix between the branching of the cheese and the kush  in that it has alot of branches but they stay stubby so far like the kushes. and last but not least the lemon skunk it grows very sparse compared to the rest branching is medium length between tw and el nino it has blasted out some large fan leaves and is starting to fill out though. my kushes are all quite uniform in structure though 2 of them are more developed than the smallest. but she is responding very well to the ph change and shooting out some nice new growth. things i would do different so far is add a bit more perlite to my bx promix and possibly a bottom feed system i think a couple times when i really soaked em it may have slowed things a bit not sure. if my confidence in hydro goes up i will consider keeping my mothers in their own hydro set up.

what do ya think am i completely nutz?   :bongin:
    </div>

4. #4 dweenz, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
    The tw got bent :)

like a drifter in the dark

Attached Files:

5. Well it's been a while since my last update. Got me some clones cut tonight here's hoping my diy cloner does the job. I have all 34 filled I just filled the cloner with ph'd 5.8 tap at 130 ppm will probably add to 300 ppm when I see roots. And I have changed my mind a bit as far as not vegging. I will do a 3 or 4 week veg in 5 inch netpots same as my bud room. And just transfer from veg room to bud room. Hoping that will increase my harvest. My bud room is now going to be a 48 site 5ft x 8ft undercurrent rdwc. I was going to do half hydro half dirt but said fuck it. Just want it set up and not have to add more sites later. 1373353088971.jpg 1373353115580.jpg

______ ______
    like a drifter in the dark