ghetto rigged 400w mh (pictures)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Earljones, Aug 18, 2009.

1. so this guy i met on caigslist gave me 4 lamps...2 1000w hps lamps(one of them is ghetto rigged) a 400 w mh ghetto rigged and a 200w hps ghetto rigged....well i was going to use the nice 1000w hps lamp but it is extremely noisy and my neighbor would hear it from where my grow room(closet :rolleyes:) so i figure the other 1000w has to be just a noisy so i will not use it...so i figure i will use the 400w mh lamp for 4-5 plants...will this be enough? will i need to use more?...i want to grow them about 3 1'2 to 4 ft tall before i flower them....and anyone know what i can use to put the ballst in? it just looks unsafe so i want to contain it somehow(see pics below)

heres the ballast
    [​IMG]

now they were smart enough to put washers between the wood and the inductor
    [​IMG]

space between inductor and board(maybe about 1/2 in off wood)
    [​IMG]

and heres the hood(i took the one from the 1000whps
    [​IMG]

2. Sounds like you got a deal, but be damn careful with all that ghetto rigged shit....its not worth burning a house down for a few plants.....

3. yeah i know..which is why i dont want to use it with the ballast wide open like that..i am thinking about getting a cheap computer case because then i could have some pc fans moving some air around it..what you think?

4. go get an ammo can from the surplus store. i have several ballasts that have found homes in them. add a fan or ventilation holes and your golden.

5. also 6 plants for a 400W bulb just fit fine

i have 2x400W, growing 6 plants under each... check out my grow journal for some pics!