Ghetto Micro Grow.. (pics)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Got Milk, Sep 10, 2009.

1. #1 Got Milk, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2009
    Hey all! Got Milk here hehe as you can gather, nothing pleases me more the pulling a bong filled with milky mary jane smoke or rolling a phatttttt Joint.. This lifestyle however is getting more and more expensive these days so ive decided to try and grow my own..

Im an unemployed and a full time student so money is slow to gather and is gone before you can say "Wanna hit?" So naturaly my grow cab is gonna be ghetto as fark but aslong as its safe and does the job i aint complaining..

Here is my cab im building, its going to be a micro grow, going to aim for around 2 plants at a time and going to put iinto flowering from the first day of sprouting..

The cab-

The cab is made from a 40litre storage container, normal white spray paint paint on the inside, and used tinfoil on the outside so lightproof the cab, leaking a little but it will suffice.

Lighting -

Found a clearance on 20watt 2700k globes, reduced from $12 for two to $3!. Found 4 free extension cables, and bought my 4 sockets because apparently "Australia baned Y connecters for lights, you have to use a different socket for each globe" So yeah hooked up lights using lamp sockets and by removing the female part of an extension cord. Wired up + to + and - to -..

Ventillation -

I used ac/dc phone chargers to power my computer fans, 5Volt charger for my exhaust fan as its only a 5cm double ballbearing computer fan, and used a 9volt charger for intake for my 8cm double ballbearing computer fan.. Cut the red and black wires on the fans and stripped back, did the same with chargers, then matched up red to red, black to black and then taped them shut..

Cost So Far-

1.Storage Container -- Found Around Home
    2.White Spray Paint -- $3
    3.Tin Foil -- Found Around Home
    4.Two Computer Fans -- $8
    5.Ac/Dc Phone Chargers -- Found Around Home
    6.Duct Tape -- Found Around Home
    7.Four 20watt CFLs -- $6
    8.Four Lamp Lighting Sockets --$16
    9.Four Extension Cords -- Found Around Home
    10.Power Boards/Double Adapters -- Found Around Home
    11.Pots -- Found Around Home
    12.Soil -- $4

Total So Far -- $36!!

Update: 13/09- Tested lighting and ventillation at warmest part of the day, temps generally stayed below 80F and didnt get hotter then 83F..

Update: 15/09- Cleared up spot around cab, its under a little desk thing and covered by a dooner, its will suffice for lightproofing, exhaust fan is a tad noisy but it will be deafened by my future DIY Carbon Filter.

Decided to begin Germination of some seeds also, using the cup of water method.. Still waiting for those taproots.. Bout 36hours from dropping in warm water...

ANYWHOS Here are some piccys, soz for quality.. Used fone.

Before any work.. Can of flyspray to put size in perspective -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dreaded... LIGHTPROOFING.. Yes it was painted white inside, and no your not mistaken, that is tin foil on the ousside to keep light out.. -

[​IMG]

80mm double ball bearing computer fan INTAKE -

[​IMG]

50mm double ball bearing computer fan OUTAKE -

[​IMG]

Inside the cab -

[​IMG]

Lights for my cabb -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see i have a light leaking problem haha..

[​IMG]

Well thats about it for now ill update once more work has taken place, comments anyone? What yall think? recon its comming along or?

Germinated a seed, Its sprouted and currently growing..Check journal in my sig =]

Comming soon:

HomeMade Carbon Filter....

:smoking: Peace.

2. how tall is it? looks like a good start tho.. are u going to be goin with a lowrider strain?

3. Are you doing this in a dorm room? if so, I'd really get something to kep the stink down.
    But it looks really covert :)

4. Thanks for the response guys =]

91hatchman, Its over 2 feet tall, roughly 30inches or so? Its about 12inches deep and about 18inches wide.

Nope, im actually justing using bagseed from nonamed dank, its my first indoor grow so i dont wanna pay for something i might destroy haha.. If this grow goes sucessfull ima order some seeeeds =]

GBoD, No im living in a little granny flat at the front of my parents house atm, they rarely ever come into my room, and the cab will be stashed out of line of sight, but yes i will definately be installing a DIY carbon filter made from 2 mesh pencil cups, panyhose and activated carbon... Shouldnt cost me much over $15 to make.

5. sounds like it should work... are you going to lst them???

6. Im not sure if ill low stress them, Im putting them into flowering straight up so i dont really wanna stress the plants to much.. I might LST them though..

7. Light Setup Complete..

8. looks good man, keep us posted... nice sig btw. that shit is distracting lol

9. hmm.... idk you might have to i am working with similar height restraints and started flowering from day 1. ive had to bend them a few times but right now they are no more than 7 inches tall.

10. Hmm ill defo consider it then..

UPDATE: Seeds currently germinatiing.. Using cup of water method...

Tested lights and vents today at warmest part of the day (my lights will be on at night) and temps stayed below 80F...

11. Your set up sounds good to go! haha, good luck man, Get some Hollands Hope seeds if you do anouther indoor grow.

12. how did you wire up the fans and lights?

i know a bit about wiring so dont worry about confusion.

13. #13 Got Milk, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009
    Fans where wired as simply as i could, read a guide on here about it actually, just simple pc fans, stripped back cables on 2 fans, and same thing on 2 fone chargers, matched up + and - and then just taped them back up to seal cables..

As for lighting, Australia doesnt sell Y splitters anymore... So i had to purchase -
    4 20watt cfls baonnet style
    4 lamp light sockets
    4 power cables.

Stripped back power cables, threaded them into the holes i made in my cab, connected + of cable to + of socket, same for negatives, then i put in lights and we were all gravy..
    Ill tape up cables to sockets to keep connections extra strong as one of my globes flickered a little when i bumped its cable..

All cabling goes outside the cab, the 2 fans plug into an extention cord, and the 4 lights plug into a power board which will soon be on a 12/12timer ($5 from local warehouse)

14. Damn bro amazing setup. Ive actually been looking for a setup like this and I think i might try it out. But some questions, one are you just using regular lights? And finally what are you using to power the computer fans? I was thinking of just jumping a computer power supply. But mass kudos to you excellent design.

15. Thanks for the praise mate :D means alot to know other people think its comming along too!

Yes im using regular lighting, i bout 4 20watt cfls, 2700k heating (warm white) as im putting my babys into flowering from day one after sprouting. To connect those lights i bought 4 'lamp sockets' and wired them using an extenstion cord for each light (cut the female end off, stripped back wires then matches positive to positve, negative to negative)

And i used ac/dc phone chargers to power my computer fans, 5Volt charger for my exhaust fan as its only a 5cm double ballbearing computer fan, and used a 9volt charger for intake for my 8cm double ballbearing computer fan.. Cut the red and black wires on the fans and stripped back, did the same with chargers, then matched up red to red, black to black and then taped them shut..

Cheers for post! :smoking:

16. Dude your box looks great. I think mine would have been a lot easier if I'd gone with something like that. It'd be a lot easier to work plastic than plywood with the crappy tools I've got. I think I didn't use my best judgement. The wood insulates the heat too. Ugh...I do think my ventilation is better now though.

Good luck on your grow man, I'm taking a seat.

17. i love this idea.

keep us updated

18. Thanks for the posts guys =]

Yeah i chose the plastic box for that main reason, its plastic and i have shit tools layin around.. So much easier to munipulate..

19. Going straight into flowering? Care to elaborate on that technique? IT seems like you would loose alot of potential growth and yeild by doing that. But, i'm just starting on my first one, so do educate us!

20. Hehe thats the point :D

Yeah as you can tell my grow box is tiny, its just over 2 foot tall. This way of growing is very popular with people like me, who live with the parents or need to have thier cab hiddin.

Putting a plant on 12/12 from day 1 means the plant will start flowering in a few weeks and within 2 months will be ready to harvest.. It shouldnt grow over a foot in size, i will be Low Stress Training the plant to keep it short and bushy and help it yeild to its maximum potential at that size...

Hope that helped :bongin: