GH or House and Garden nutes.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Tommatt, Oct 6, 2010.

1. For my second grow I am definately going to switch nutes from what I feel is a PoS nute line(stealth hydro) to either General Hydro or house and garden. I've heard GH has outperformed AN in some cases, and I've narrowed it down to these 2. I expect the cost to be almost the same, with HnG being a bit more. This will be my second grow. First one is almost complete, if it completes, and should be midly successfull. We'll see in the next couple weeks. Crystals are now starting to form on the leaves, and I hope the buds start growing, but I'm scared.

AN is way to expensive. I'd be open ears for other brands, but right now I"m looking at GH following Lucas Formula, or House and garden. Would like to hear peoples opinions. I know its mostly personal opinion, I"ve read enough threads and have even chimed in that people vary on what they like, and what they know.

I'm probably going to the hydro store friday to pick up what I decide to buy. Right now I"m leaning towards GH due to its simplicity, and Lucas formula is supposed to be a good starting point for the beginner grower. Have not been happy with my current nutes at all. I've learned a lot from this grow though. Probably switching from CFL's (3 actual 100w'ers, 400w equivs) to a 400w HPS, and switching my nute line.

Plan on running either GH/HnG along with MagiCal (Use RO water) and sweet purple (Unless somebody knows something better along the same lines. have no clue what it does, but heard its good stuff. Guess its like molasses?)

2. I have been using H&G on my first grow, check it out in my signature. I am about 5 days from harvest. I use the complete H&G line but in 2 weeks I will be doing a comparative in bubble buckets of GH (Lucas Formula) and H&G.

3. It depends on how much you want to spend....

If you like spending a lot go with H & G, if you like saving money go with GH.

The difference in yield and quality will be indistinguishable.

4. Yes, GH is cheaper. I'll be doing a comparison next!

5. Thanks guys. Gonna go with GH until I get a few grows under my belt first before probably switching over to hng, or not depending on your comparison run! Gonna start some white widow for my first GH grow, as I was for my AUH#1 clones to go back to the veg state.

6. I use the lucas formula, but with a bunch of GH add ons like flora nectar and liquid koolbloom and diamond nectar. Got 2 plants about 4-5 weeks into flower in my sig. Bubble buckets!!!

7. I'll make a thread with my comparison.

8. I've done a few plants with the GH line. Worked great, easy and cheap.

I've since switched to PBP for my hydro.

9. +repped everyone (now that I know its actually a thing and not just something people say lol. Need to go look at my post history and give some people some rep who have helped me since I signed up here)

Can't wait to go to the hydro store tommorow. Gonna pick up GH nutes, maybe a couple additives, and look at HPS bulbs and see their prices compared to what I've seen online. My GF is looking forward to it too, as I'm building her a bubble bucket to do some indoor tomatoes during the winter. Some day I think I"ll have a room full of hydro equipment growing MJ, Tomatoes, and other veggies :D

10. Welcome to the life my friend. I am always at the Hydro store, but then again, I am always expanding or trying something new :)

11. Just got back. Got GH Micro, Grow, Bloom. KoolBloom Ripeneing, and Kool Bloom Bulking (Phosphourous, which I'm lacking) Sugar Peak Grand Finale by earth juice. I want to turn the whole room that I'm using the closet for into a hydro garden. Tomatoes, potatoes, MJ, everything :D

12. One thing I learned when using the GH line was to mix up the Micro in the rez first. A store owner told me that if you add the micro after the others it causes some sort of lockout problem. *shrug* Good luck :wave:

13. interesting, never heard that.

14. Actually, I think i saw that written in the micro bottle when I was looking at it. Bought the big $60 bottle, then saw it's only 5ml per gallon. It's gonna take years to go through my nutrients lol

15. Also Is there any problem with switching to a different line of nutrients mid flowering? Week 7 of 13 or so. Wouldn't want to risk stressing or shocking the plant

16. I wouldn't switch lines mid flower, but if you have too, then you do. They are essentially getting the same minerals, just in probably a slight different dosage.

17. Ok, its not a necessity, and I'd rather not take risks. Just think those nute lines kinda suck and really looking forward to using the new nutes!

I think just adding the KoolBloom I picked up today will help though, as it has large amounts of phosphourous, which fromy reading is essential for bud growth, and I'm pretty sure has been my deficiency. Been reading the labels, checking out GH website for their feed charts and stuff.... I'm impressed so far and cannot wait to give this line a try!

At least I'll be able to see how much the KoolBloom ups PPM, and have an idea of how much to use. I guess theres one more bottle I should buy according to their website, Floraliscious Plus? Gonna have to look into it and see if the sweet grape stuff I have is about the same. All I know about that stuff is I got it with my original kit, and it says "Beneficial to all stages of growth" lol Although floralicious is only 1ml per gallon, while this stuff is 5-15 depending on growth stage. Also surprised that you use all 3 parts throughout the whole grow, micro/grow/bloom.

Got 2 clones going, that have survived for 4 days I believe now, so I think they should be good! Hopefully will see roots next week. Germinating 2 white widow seeds tommorow, as the clones will take up to two months? to go back to a veg state from what I know.

Planning on switching to an HPS bulb from CFL's for my next grow too, and may even LST these sativa's, allthough its pretty seeing an almost 6 foot plant!

Come to think of it, I"m changing almost everything I did with this grow lol.

Thanks again for your help man.

18. Change is always good, have to experiment to see what works for you. I as well can't wait to try out the GH line and bubble buckets. I took clones from my flowering plant that was in week 7 and had roots in 3 days, however it took about 2-3 weeks for it to switch back into veg but now I have about 50 clones ready to be put in as soon as I harvest.

19. Just took a look at your grow journal. Nice job! Those are some good looking buds!

20. I definitely noticed a difference with koolbloom. I think you'll happy using it.