Getting the most from your lights.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jcj77d, Jul 21, 2007.

1. #41 RO76, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
    So if it is trapping heat it means that there is not much can escape trough it...
    I think it can be used to reduce heat signature.That reflective insulation is design to reflect heat back. So if "ONE" covers the attic floor with it (some air space is require between attic floor and that product) then it will reflect heat from the sun back with out letting much of it to penetrate in to the house. And it will reflect heat from the last floor of the house back in to the house with out letting much to escape to the attic (during the cold season) . So if "ONE" covers all surfaces of the "heat producing area" with that material then much of the heat will not escape and that area will "flush" less(will become less visible to IR detectors(?) if the heat sours inside) heat....
    There is also Radiant pain that you can purchase from this website Radiant Barrier Paint | Radiant Barriers Coating | KOOLCOAT
    . You can use it as well to mask the heat signature. To my understanding : The more radiant barriers you have around your "heat producing area" the harder it will be to detect from the outside .
    Here is the link to the website where you can rent IR detector to inspect your house for "heat leaks" Infrared Camera Rentals
    You can also take pictures of the surrounding buildings to compare heat signatures ....
    P.S. Do not rely on my words much, I do not have any personal experiences with any of the materials listed above..
    P.P.S. But Mylar so far is the best (what people said) (95%) light reflective material (not heat reflective)...

2. Where can you get mylar

3. #43 RO76, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
    Here [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Mil-Mylar-Feet-Inch/dp/B000VFW3QS]Amazon.com: Hydrofarm 2 Mil Mylar - 25 Feet x 48 Inch x .002": Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame] this is not the cheapest one, you can find 2 mil Mylar for $19 with shipping, just search online. Or you can get bunch of balloons, but that option is more expensive. Also home depot sells radiant barrier insulation and I believe that shell is made of Mylar (not 100% sure, but looks and feels very similar )
    http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?Page=Do-It-Yourself&PageIndex=674

4. Now that I got a 400w hps, I'm wondering If u went the wrong option. I hung up emergency blanketing, got some at walmart, hung it uP, really shiny, seemed good. This was with a CFL light bank. The walls are white, not sure I'd it's flat or glossy. After reading this more I'm thinking cleaning my walls would be best.

What if it's off white or glossy? Better than emergency blankets?

5. I'd imagine emergency blankets would be more reflective, but also more uneven unless matted against a wall or board or something.

From a photographer's POV, I'd say don't use mirrored material unless you can manage to mount it flat, otherwise you're creating focal points of light and shadows. Not the best. A glossy white would be better than a crinkled reflective...from my POV that is.

--
    Side note...

There's an awesome application for the Iphone called LightMeter. it's free, and it will read your "Lux" reflection off of your canopy.

Using this, i can check how much light each portion of the canopy is getting, from the top to bottom, center to outer corner.

It's been very useful, though not scientifically accurate to any degree. more of a rough guesstimate, and a comparrison tool.

6. Use mylar for light reflection, not tin foil because its reflecting light at oblique angles.. not that good. Mylar reflects 95% of light and does not bad heat build up,just short bit of info. peace

7. #47 pollojunk, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
    Just found this elsewhere.

this is a test

first off i am NOT out to prove anything. this is simply a test you can take this info and do whatever you want with it. it seems when it comes to growing the only right way is MY way. not me personally but in general that is the attitude of the pot grower. i have yet to figure out why all the competition. since day one whenever i mention growing EVERYONE has the best way. people who have never grown a thing in their lives know evrything about pot. it is kinda funny. i have lived and learned, yet everyday i am DISCOVERING new things. not rights and wrongs just different ways.

to each his own.

so here's the set-up. a board, backlighting, and a meter.

the meter was placed at 300 ft candles for the base number on the unpainted pine wood.

unpainted pine - 300

mirror - 375

white paper - 300

foil, flat, shiny
    side - 425

foil, flat, dull
    side - 425

when the foil
    is curled - 500+ light was intensified into bright spots when curled

foil, wrinkled,
    shiny side - 325

foil, wrinkled,
    dull side - 325

mylar - 500

mylar when
    curled - 500+ light was bent evenly due to the thickness of mylar

that's what i got so far. i can try to clarify any of these for now. so any questions?

8. i have a 6x10 room ceiling at an angle (vaulted i think its called) grow area is 4x4x8atleast and going up. i painted the walls 2 3 of them and the other is panda. i left the ceiling and the other wall above the closet red and grey. my question is should i paint the ceiling and that wall white as well? and y? i have the paint just wondering i was saving it for touch up.

Attached Files:

9. Nah man, first off, that's up on the ceiling, and hopefully you are using some sort of reflector on your lights, so not much light will be hitting it anyways AND the light that does hit it has probably traveled from the light, to the plants (or nearby wall) then all the way across the room again, where it will hit your red paint. Then, if you did paint them white, it would bounce again and have to travel a third time across the room before hitting the plant. By this point, the light is not nearly strong enough to make a large difference. Small additive changes help but with that lil scraggly patch it's not worth it unless you "want" to.

It would be good to look into the Inverse Square law, and understand how light travels and bounces. Also an understanding of lumens (or Lux) and the ammount that's is required for photosynthesis.

10. + rep. i think i'm going to go with a combination of foylon and the C3 anti detection film because i'm a paranoid sob

11. Foil is the worst thing you can possibly use it reflect at random angles and causes hot spots and looses reflectivity best is mylar or high reflective pure white paint.

12. There are different reasons why people choose to solar lighting, but whether it is to be put into use, the best. This is why the pursuit of life to your garden, it should have, you need these lights for you to do this.

13. I've been growing for 9-10 years now, and apparently I still have a thing or two to learn about this subject.

Elastomeric paint, eh? I gotta say, mylar is getting to be a right pain in the ass. I did some more research on it, and I gotta say - this is making its way into my grow. Here's a little bit more information on it:

Premium white coating reflects 90%+ sunrays. Forms a thick rubber-like blanket of protection. Higher solids for better coverage. Durable in any climate - expands & contracts. Cured elastomeric film resists mildew & algae. Helps to absorb sound - soap & water cleanup wet. Environmentally compliant - Use for meta, foam,-. concrete, brick, cement tile & aged coatings .

I'm in. The extra reflectivity given by mylar is extremely minimal. It's a gram or two per harvest difference. The ease of this paint, with the additional benefits of sound dampening have me sold. Durable, soap and water to clean it. Resists mildew, highly reflective.... sounds like a $25 gallon will go a long way.

14. #55 hesthedaddy, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I also agree, come kick back and toke with me, I could learn so much!

15. #56 hesthedaddy, Jul 29, 2011
    Hey dude I was scouring the net last night trying to buy some foylor and every site I visited have stopped selling it? Whys this? I really wanted it for the longlife and durability, is there a newer product out there??

16. search harder, Foylon [FOY110] - $225.00 : Specialty Hydroponics
    it might be a different name now, or a different company.

17. #58 hesthedaddy, Jul 31, 2011
    I cant afford that mate am thinking I will have to go with mylar can got 20 ft long by 2 ft (i think) wide from ebay for £25.00

18. Anyone have expeirence with that orca poly?

people know that the cheap flir that most leo use are not strong enough to show IR through walls and shit?

They use the ir to find the hot air expelling your home.. like a vent or the roof. when they see a huge streem of warm air pumping from some where its a red flag.

best to disguise your exhaust as a dryer vent and all will be well..

• Like Like x 1