Getting the most from your lights.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jcj77d, Jul 21, 2007.

1. going to be using the foil for my grow coming soon lol hopefully itll do fine

2. stickie this mods.:hello:

3. orca film is the best stuff iv ever used.and iv used it alllll!

4. would any stores have mylar?

5. #25 Johnny_Cool, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
    I must say, I had my doubts when I read the claim that aluminium foil is only 55% reflective. After a little Googling I found this out:

From Wikipedia:

"The reflectivity of bright aluminium foil is 88% while dull embossed foil is about 80%"

From Azom.com:

"Reflects approximately 98% of radiant heat and light."

From Aluminum-foil.alexanderhiggins.com:

" Reflects approximately 98% of radiant heat and light"

From Alufoil.org:

"Reflects approximately 98% of radiant heat and light. There is no difference between the reflectivity of a bright and a matte foil surface."

It is fair to say that all these statements don't agree perfectly, but the general concensus is that aluminium foil is considerably more reflective than the OP states.

I would imagine that the key to getting good reflectivity from the foil is to ensure that it remains perfectly smooth and uncreased. I also imagine that the best way to do this would be to wallpaper paste it onto a smooth hard surface and maybe apply a coats of lacquer for protection.

Just sayin'.

6. I've seen in some grow room pics, what appears to be those windshield sunscreens attached to the walls. Does anyone use those, and how do they work? or do they?

Also, I was skeptical of the reflective qualities of aluminum foil, and use it where I don't have a nice white wall in my small area. I might buy the hotspot argument, but I've had no issues, personally. The foil isn't right up against my plants, more like 8".

7. what about white duct tape

8. Any insight on how something like this from Home depot would work? Claims to reflect a lot.
    [​IMG]

9. it works.. but not as effective as panda or mylar... you have to be careful... it might trap in heat... so monitor carefully once installed...

10. Thanks man. I'll give it a shot and report in.

11. I'm confused. Everyone was hot on the emergency blankets for a while. Would a white polyester material be better than the blanket?

12. fabric....... like the flammable stuff... with hot lights around it... hope you have good home owners insurance

white paint... cheap and effective

13. Wow I never knew about the C3 Anti Detection foil untill I read this thread. This just might save my ass from a DEA raid :eek:

14. Locks in heat. Be prepared

15. can i get any of this stuff at walmart or home depot? somewhere Local?

16. If you're large enough to attract the DEA's attention...take my advice and don't post to a public forum.

If you're a personal grower, you shouldn't worry about it. There's only a couple hundred DEA in the country, and they are looking for the large outdoors and commercial indoor ops. Not some dudes closet tent grow with 5 plants.

If you've got an insulated roof, you don't have to worry about IR. It's your vents that they look for on many grows. The heat looks like a fountain on an IR camera, pouring out of one section of a house or building into the cold night air.

--
    The insulation bubble wrap is nice, if mounted flat, it doesn't create any hot spots past a couple of inches. You can acquire it free from pet stores (it's what their fish are shipped in, they throw it away). Or for cheap in those rolls. It is heat insulated, though not heavily (not sufficient against freezing temperatures).

• Like Like x 1
  17. In your guys eyes what is the limit for when your doing with the feds? Well I guess it would actually matter how much light right? You could have 100 plants under a 400w HPS and they wouldn't care. I'd guess anywhere above 3000w and your catching some suspicious eyes?

18. Many "full scale" growers are growing in big houses to justify high electricity usage...(information based on you tube "another grow house got busted" videos...)

19. I just watched like 10 busts on youtube. EVERY one of them was either for smell or electricity stealing. Seems to be the only ways to get busted.

That cave in Tennessee is insane, those people are stupid as fuck. If you have millions of dollars to make that, why wouldn't you just pay the electricity bill?

So seems like as long as you pay your bill and nothing smells your good. And no snitches, a big one. Grow with as few people as possible.