Getting Started: ?'s About fans...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by HerbGuy, Aug 4, 2009.

1. I have just started amassing parts and was wondering if my adapter will run(safely run mind you!) a PC fan. It reads

InPut:100-120~50/60Hz 0.2A
    OutPut:+12 0.41A

Can I run two fans off this one adapter? More questions to come about lighting.

2. now you need to find a cpu fan that is rated for .41 amp(output) or 2 cpu fans .20 amps and it will be fine....

3. Thanx for the reply! I got it working with a small fan. I have a second fan waiting but how do I hook two fans up to the adapter with only one positive and one negative lead? I mean, do I just splice the two cables again, or what? Is that okay as long as I don't exceed the adapter's amp output rating? Hope that makes sense?!

4. Got it figured out! Thanx for the link! Just the info I needed. Got two fans to run under my adapter's max amp output :)!

5. just be carefull, Each of my fans pull .3amp/300mAp, Im using a 1amp/1000mAp charger plug, so Im only using 60% of the plugs rating. My plug still gets PRETTY WARM. Just a heads up to not get real close to the top of a plugs rating, YOU NEVER KNOW if a power surge can push it over the fire threshhold.

6. Thnx again! Question though... The two fans I am running are both done in a parallel set up, and one fan is .19amps, while the other is .20 exact. Since the fans are paralleled, does this mean I'm only using at most .20 amps through the adapter, or is it the 3.9 value you get by combining the amp ratings? I want to be safe!! Thnx again.

7. you add and count them both. You are using .39amps/390mAp so If you are using a 1amp/1000mAp plug you will be OK as you are only using 40% of the plugs capacity.

good luck!

8. Thnx again. I have since switched to a 1amp adapter since the other was .41 amps and the fans together were drawing .39 amps of power! Way too close for comfort thnx again:D!