Getting started growing, have a few questions.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by MadNicePillows, Apr 16, 2009.

1. #1 MadNicePillows, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
    Hey everyone! I have been reading threads on here and have been doing research on other sites as well to prepare myself for growing. First off - I am going to be doing an indoor grow. I have the basic list of things I'll be needing to buy and a basic understanding of how to construct my grow box. However, there are a few things that I still have questions about.

1. I will be using CFL's for the vegetative stage of my plant's life, however I am unsure of what type to get. Do I look for the long cylindrical ones? Regular bulb-shaped?

2. I do not have a very good understanding of how lumens work. I have read that it is a standard to have around 100 watts per plant, however i'm not sure if I need to calculate lumens into that part.

3. What is a good pH range for the water I will be watering my plans with? (I will be doing a soil grow).

4. As far as regulating pH goes, what do i add to the water to increase and decrease pH?

5. Do I test the pH runoff, or the water I will be giving my plants? (I have heard both, so I am confused about which to do.)

Thanks in advance for your input!

(Also, if I left out any details necessary to answer these questions please let me know)

2. as far as light...how long are you veging? how big do you want your plants?

What are you useing for flower?

inside or outside?

soil or hydro? (for pH ranges)

:p

3. I'm going to plan on veging them for as long as possible to get them as large as I can before I switch to flowering.

And I'm using bagseed I got from some of the middies my friend's been pushing just so I can have a practice run sorta.

Indoor growbox

and soil

4. 1. and 2. - read Kamels cfl guide, it's a sticky in either indoor growing or beginners, soz, can't remember which. :)
    You want ACTUAL watts, not equivalent and you are right, 100watts per plant as a general rule.

3. pH 6.5 - 6.8

4. You can get a product called pH up or down for this purpose, some household products work too, try searching.

5. I just test the run off and only change the water I'm using if my plants show problems or my pH is way off.

Good luck. :)

5. Thanks! I have read through Kamel's CFL guide and found it to be very helpful. And the pH up - down sounds very simple haha