Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

getting rid of mould on weed

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by zombiecrab, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hi

I picked up a oz a few days ago(really nice stuff) and I just went to look at it today and its a bit mouldy. It wasn't when I brought it, but it was a bit damp.

I didn't stick it in a air tight container because it was still a bit wet, so it went into my nearly but not quite to air tight container so it can dry out slowly.

Now that I'v seen the mould I am trying to think of ways to deal with it. So far I have stuck it in the freezer so that will hopefully stop the spread for now (I know its not a permanent solution but it should buy me some time).

I was wondering if using it in some sort of edible would be a good idea or if I just dry the bud out completely and store it in a airtight jar as that might make the weed a unliveable environment for the mould. I think its too wide spread to cut it off(i will double check this when its frozen).

So any advice (keep in mind its a ounce and I can't afford to throw it away)

2. smoke it!..get fuccked up:hello:

Id say just smoke whats smokable unless its covered in mold..:( if so id throw it out man

3. lol give it the "fucked up my cellphone in the pool" treatment

just stick it in a big ziplock bag of white rice, that should suck the moisture right out of it...as for the mold, i would try scraping it off? if you dont wanna throw the bud out, you'll have to

4. Hoping the freezing will kill it tbh, I'm not to hopeful but its all I got. If it fails I will try and separate it out.

Just checked the second oz that I got from him(this was in a airtight container) and thats got mould on it as well. fml

5. you got two ounces of moldy weed? wtf..:eek:
    id go get my money back

6. Wasn't mouldy when I got it, just a bit damp.

7. Dude, don't smoke moldy weed. You could seriously die from that. You may have to cut your losses and throw it out, but you could still probably salvage it for edibles or homemade hash which you should look into because I'm not sure if that would be safe or not.

8. never ever smoke moldy weed man. its been said previously and is really the best weed, cut your losses and throw it out. store it better next time to avoid this happening again.

9. ^^agreed..
    ive done it before

10. That sucks!

11. That totally sucks! I'm going with the 'make hash' idea though.

12. I have a great idea!:D
    Just sell the shit to an idiot..:hello:
    Be like..ay bro heard you need some dank..I got me some fire, this shits called Master OG Mold:smoke::smoke:...$25/g!:p
    Its gunna work:)

13. What You Should Know About Mold Issues on Marijuana | Spark Report

found that link on another thread. So my plan is:

freeze (doing now)

put in oven at 300 f for 15 mins like the artical says.

then as that link says its better to smoke then to eat I plan on trying a lil but through my bong. If it still tastes funny or whatever then I plan on making Isopropyl hash since all that's left are things that can be dissolved in it.

I know the senseable thing to do would be to throw it away, but its 2 fucking ounces. I have to try some things first.

If I where one of you guys I would be saying the exact things your saying but from the other side(my side) I'm looking at it like throwing £320 down the toilet.

14. What You Should Know About Mold Issues on Marijuana | Spark Report

found that link on another thread. So my plan is:

freeze (doing now)

put in oven at 300 f for 15 mins like the artical says.

then as that link says its better to smoke then to eat I plan on trying a lil but through my bong. If it still tastes funny or whatever then I plan on making Isopropyl hash since all that's left are things that can be dissolved in it.

I know the senseable thing to do would be to throw it away, but its 2 fucking ounces. I have to try some things first.

If I where one of you guys I would be saying the exact things your saying but from the other side(my side) I'm looking at it like throwing £320 down the toilet.

15. That's probably EXACTLY what I'd do!!

16. ok last bit of info(well maybe). Here is a pic of a dead leaf I found attached to the stem of a big bud. This is quite a large leaf so the amount of mould may be deceptive.

Also, just got this out the freezer so its still a bit crystalline form there. Oh and this was at the top of the jar and I think most of the weed doesn't have this much mould.

So can anyone identify weed form a pic(is that even possible).

[​IMG]

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9416/imag0011uw.jpg (full size)

17. Bumping to say that the link on post number 13 helped me to identify some mould on some wet bud I'd acquired. In retrospect I should have dried it myself (in one go rather than before each vape session) and will definitely do this in future. I will however try cutting the small amount of mould off and baking the remaining bud at 300F for 15mins to see if this helps to kill off the mould. Hopefully the OP had some luck salvaging the bud. I'm somewhat disappointed about losing an eighth to mould and can only imagine how frustrating it would be to lose 100s of £s worth of bud to mould.

Incidentally, the link says that ingesting mouldy bud is more dangerous than smoking. Would the same apply for vaporizing? Or is smoking it safer since the much higher heat kills off some of the mould spores?

18. Getting high is not worth dying for. Just cut your losses and don't buy wet weed next time.

19. Make a concentrate with it. Use some kind of solvent like alcohol or butane to extract all the good stuff and leave the mold on the grit you throw out. That's one of the only ways to safely consume moldy weed which can be incredibly dangerous to smoke.

20. #20 bhang3, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. You're right about not smoking it and possibly just throwing it out. I've recently gotten some 99% iso alcohol for cleaning my volcano so I could look into extracting using that. However I reckon it's actually only about 2g. I've got a couple of other grams of some other strains so it's not the end of the world if I chuck it out. I just thought that the oven method was an easy way of salvaging it.

On the plus side, I've been on a break from bud for sometime otherwise I might have vaped it by accident. On the otherhand, maybe it went moldy due to no attention lol