Getting ready for my fall grow. Base soil Happy Frog.. what else should I add?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Hamjack, Oct 8, 2017.

1. #1 Hamjack, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    I'm staying all organic. For amendments I have dolomite lime, Coast of Maine Organic Dry Fertilizer, rice hulls, kelp meal, rock dust and a bag of worm castings. I also have Coast of Maine soil that has been used to grow 1 small auto. Recommendations for my mix, proportions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Coast of Maine lobster compost

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. how many gallons are you making

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

4. 24 gallons. I'm filling 4 6 gallon smart pots.

5. Why use happy frog at all? Prebagged soils use inferior ingredients. You can build your own base soil far better and cheaper with just peat, aeration and compost/ewc. The most important part is the compost component. I've read that coast of maines is good so you could use that plus some of your castings. Check out the "no till revisited" thread for an excellent recipe that you already have most of the important ingredients for. The only real changes that I did to that recipe were to add a liming component and up the aeration rate.

My other piece of advice is to get way bigger pots. Big as you can fit and work with easily. Best thing I ever did for my garden was bigger soil, makes the whole process easier and the end product better.

6. I prefer lava rock for aeration the roots and soil life love the texture I cant tell you how many times I've found roots rapping around the lava rock when transplanting new clones.

7. It's an indoor grow, second floor, and I have a bad back. Hence 6 gallon bags. I usually use Coast of Maine soils, but I ordered a bag of Happy Frog based on reviews.

8. I bet that I grow way better grass than most of those people giving happy frog good reviews . Youre clearly already planning on mixing soil so why not build better for cheaper? Build it a few cf at a time on a tarp and its easy. Id very highly recommend at least checking out the thread I mentioned. The easy organic soil for beginners thread is another good one that could help you put together some ammounts/ratios.

As for pot size/weight. Mine is indoors down a set of stairs. Im also old with a tired back... Im just saying that in many years of growing very few things had the positive effect on my garden that bigger soil did. Even just 10-15 gal pots will outperform the 6g in every way and theyre still pretty manageable.

9. Okay I'm not here to judge I'm here to Simply give you an answer to a question that you ask for every 5 gallon pot I would use a half a cup of kelp meal Rock Dust rice hull and dry fertilizer with at least one cup of worm casting per pot make sure you start well and let it cook for a little before transplanting your seedlings if you can look into some malted barley powder that could be a great amendment to add I wouldn't use the Dolemite Lime just yet but when you are reusing your soil after 6 months or so and if it shows that it needs it I also like using crab shell. Make sure you use something to aerator that us 1/3 of esch pot so the roots get enough oxygen

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks. I also have malted barley that I can grind to add.

• Like Like x 1