Getting New Camera. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by gloppypop, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Hey, I'm going to Meijer and the mall later to pick up a few things for my dorm. I wanted to get a camera too because my old one has been broken for a quite some time.

I'm no professional photographer, but I do take a lot of pictures (friends, landscapes, buildings, etc.) And I'm looking for a nice "all-around" camera, as I wont be taking any specific types of pictures.

I wanted to get one that could take close-up pictures nicely and that has a nice picture quality (with high megapixel). Picture quality is probably the most important factor for me.

I know a lot of people on these forums own cameras and are knowledgeable, so I ask :

What brands should I be looking at?

Thanks. :)

Oh, and as far as price, $250 range or less.

2. I'd probably get a Canon G9 for ~$250 if i was looking for a point and shoot.
    prices for it will go down soon since the G10 has been announced and will be released soon.

3. Canon CyberShot A590 vs Canon A9.

For my purpose, which one would be better? Or is the G9 just a better camera overall?

If this needs to be moved to the Artists Corner, please do so.

4. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...byside&cameras=canon_a590is,canon_g9&show=all

If you want good Image quality, get a G9

your looking at..
    4.1 more MP
    6x zoom versus 4x
    1cm macro range versus 5cm
    Rechargeable Lith-Ion batteries
    overall much better quality.

I dont like the cybershots, they're for little girls who cant take pictures without them being blurry.