Getting My Mom Help

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by meowtoyou, May 8, 2011.

1. Well, for those of you who may or may not have seen my "Need Serious Advice" thread, my mom is addicted to pills. (I didn't say what kind, so not illegal, right...?) Anyway, since me and my dad have been going to counseling because our relationship has been shit lately (call me a pussy,) I decided to talk to my counselor about it, and we have come to the conclusion that I'm going to confront my mom about it.

I am asking you guys if you are currently dealing with, or have dealt with anyone in the past, who has been addicted to any type or drug and has gotten help because of YOU. Even if you don't know anyone who is going through or has gone through this, I need some ideas on some things I could say to my mom. Most addicts will deny everything when first confronted, so could you guys please give me some advice on what to say? :) By the way the reason my counselor is related to this is because my counselor wants me to bring my mom in to an appointment and I'm going to talk to her THERE about getting help rather than at home, due to that fact that the Dr. knows what he's talking about (he also specializes in helping people with addictions.)

Thanks to everyone who helped me on my last thread about this, and thanks to everyone who helps me now

2. Put her in ANY rebab/program/therapy you want, it won't change anything unless she wants to change herself.

The only way to do this is to get her to want sobriety more then she wants the "pills". Thats not easy if someone has a serious addiction.

And this is my personal opinion, its arguable, but I don't think any paid "therapist/counselor" guy is going to be able to do anything but make her angry about how he talks to her in a condescending tone.

What she'll probably think is, "you want me to talk to some douchebag on his high-horse about issues in my life that he truly can't relate to?".

3. I agree with some stuff you say, but I'm just trying to let her know how much it hurts me and how scared I am for her. I want her to know how much it kills her to see me going through this. I'm not saying this is going to get her help immediately, but I just want to try to get through to her.

4. I've got a friend who's mom is a pill popper.He's been getting her to smoke some herb and supposedly she's been taking less pills.Idk if she is or not since I'm not there to actually see how it's working out first hand,but if your mom is open to it,give it a try!

Best of luck!

5. Thanks for the suggestion man. I'm going to try to talk to her first, and if she doesn't budge I might give it a shot.

6. If she doesnt budge about smoking, make edibles and dont tell her. I know its a dick move, but its a way. Also make sure if she has a job, make sure she isnt having a drug test or any sort of shit coming up.

7. Her job doesn't drug test. They would have to notify her, and she told me that they are never going to do drug tests there. But what do you mean by make edibles and don't tell her? Just keep making her brownies over and over? Or is she supposed to notice....... :confused:

8. mom was/is an alcoholic... feel for ya bro. it's very tough