Getting My First Car.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by AddyT420, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Lol a 240....

First thing OP. What kind of budget do you have in mind? Until you give us a price people are just argue with each other.

2. OP states under $3,000.

3. Tell that to my old Jeep.

If he's going to crash, he's going to crash. What he's driving won't change that. Nothing forces you to try to drift, if you do that then you have to realize it's very possible to wreck your vehicle. And if you don't realize that's a possibility, then you shouldn't drift, race, or even drive for that matter.

4. #24 Beef Supreme, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013

You are suggesting he buy a drifting car when it's his first car. Really? Just dangle a fucking evil apple in front of adam and eve while you're at it, what could happen?

First car and drifting don't even belong in the same sentence. /facepalm

Also if it took you a week to drop a dodge dakota v6 you did not know what you were doing and also probably didn't have the appropriate tools/skills.

I see 200-300k chevy/dodge/ford 90s model trucks with original motor/trans all the time. They're as reliable as any foreign awd/fwd and don't cost as much to repair due to not needing imported parts and dealership repairs for when things are out of hand. They're also easy to repair and if you think there's tons of info on 240s you should see how much is available for a plain old 90s truck such as a c1500. A kid with the will and a $100 tool kit can make an american truck go a LONG way.

Trucks are designed for utility and reliability, not fun, btw.

To the op: Don't buy a sports car for your first car, no v8s, no drifting. Those cars will eat you up in money in the long run from being ragged on for fun. You want something reliable,
    simple, and cheap. Look at some four or six banger awd/fwd sedans or a pickup.

5. #25 vinman46, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
    Coil overs and exhaust all for 1500? eBay/used here I come. Welding a diff on a D/D lmao have kicking out every time, If you find a 240 with a younger owner good chance he beat the shit out of it and wants to unload it

6. Ty finally someone else with half a brain

7. I beg to differ. My first and second cars were both sports cars. I think they're great to learn to drive on. They generally are going to have better handling than most other cars on the road. You just can't take them for-granted, they'll come back and bite you in the ass.

But I feel much safer and better driving a sports car everyday. I've avoided shit in the road and deer in slippery conditions that I would have hit had I been driving an econobox, or truck. Can't tell you how many times a sports car having good handling has saved my ass, and not just in my sports cars. And this is all just regular driving around.

I also don't care for comfy, soft suspensions. I like to feel every curve and bank on the road so i can get in tune with the handling of the vehicle and it's balance.

Can't forget good brakes on sports cars as well. Many times I've had to stop quickly and done it with complete ease and control.

8. [quote name='"vinman46"']Coil overs and exhaust all for 1500? eBay/used here I come. Welding a diff on a D/D lmao have kicking out every time, If you find a 240 with a younger owner good chance he beat the shit out of it and wants to unload it[/quote]
    Yeah my friend drove the shit out of his 180sx before he sold it if you buy a modded car there's a good chance it's been thrashed

9. I still think he should look into trucks. If he got something with 4x4 he could avoid getting stuck in bad weather. Being his first vehicle there's a high possibility it's going to get crashed. There's not much safer than a full size pickup. Not to mention the silverado offers the 4.3 v6 that is reliable and gets good gas mileage for a truck.

10. I do to the edit was so maybe some other people realuzed a 240 isnt a good first car lol

11. Volvo 240. I bought mine with 200, 000 miles on it for 800 bucks five years ago and she is still running strong :)

12. ^thats a damn good value!

13. Ive put maybe 1200 into over that time so 2000 over 5 years and im just approaching 300, 000 miles :)

14. #34 BlazeLE, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
    just all of this. i cant stand the floaty feel. i need to feel connected to the road, the problem with most people is they dont care about driving and are as disconnected as they can possibly be. its why so many get into accidents, they dont truly understand what they're doing when they're piloting a 2500+lb hunk of metal.

if you have fun while driving you will like to do it and when you like to do something you care more about it. this is why a sports car is the best first car. if you can drive a light RWD car with a welded diff you can drive just about any other 4 wheeled vehicle with ease. its also smaller than a truck which is so much easier to park and such.

15. A welded diff is not what you want for a D/D

16. There also fast, easy to push past personal limits and likely to be crashed.....theres a reasin insurance companies charge young guys in sports cars more....imo buy a slow economical car or a truck/suv wait till you have experience driving before you get the fun car and enjoy your freedom it brings. And easier to park? All you have to do is make a wider turn pretty simple and easy.

17. Haha shit, Dumbasses push their own personal limits. I push the car's limits and find out where they're at and then I comfortably drive just under that limit, everywhere.

Stupid kids whose parents don't teach them how to really drive are the ones that go out and wreck their first cars that are sports cars. Seen it plenty of times at my old high school. Some kid gets a brand new sports car when they turn 16, a week later they end up dead after they ran into a wall at 120...

I just chalk that up to that kid was a fuckin idiot, and I continue on with my perfect driving record, and I still speed and drive near the limit everywhere in a sports car.

Don't blame the car, blame the driver. I've done nothing but drive sports cars and I turned out to be a decent driver.

18. #38 High on blunts, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
    Yea Alright mario andretti.....all im doing is offering reasonable advice. Yes stupid people crash cars, yes sports cars are fun (i own 1) no they are not good first cars people will do stupid things in them, especially teenagers.

Im now done discussing because i cant understand how you think its a good idea 4 him to drive a car like that.

Op please do yourself a favor dont buy a sports car for your first ride get something to drive for a couple years an wait to buy the cool car after you have some experience driving on the road without your parents there to voice reason.

19. sports car was my first car and ive driven for 2 years with a perfect driving record and ive avoided a few accidents thanks to the fact that my car can handle.

20. Subaru, Subaru