Getting meds when traveling to other states?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Chancelot, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Man wth? Can we obtain meds in our sister states that are medical marijuana friendly?  I mean really this is crazy if we can't. I mean it's not likely that trying to fly with my meds is a good idea from AZ to CA so can I go to a dispensary in or near Hollywood, I called one place and almost got my head bit off WTH?

2. #2 cball, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  3. This does not answer your question directly, but...

When you fly domestically your main concern is the legal environment in the departing state. To figure out the consequences of trying to fly with your meds think of what would happen to you if you were caught in your state (not in the airport or by TSA).

The TSA is not a law enforcement agency. If the TSA finds your meds they will likely turn you over to city or state law enforcement. From there you will be treated according to your state's laws.

For example, if you're flying out of CA and TSA finds less than an ounce of cannabis on you (or in your luggage) you will be tuned over to whatever law enforcement agency is responsible for policing the airport. That LEO can process you as per CA laws (in this case a civil infraction).

So if you're flying out of AZ and are caught with meds by the TSA you will be subject to whatever laws are in place in AZ.

Since there is little security focused on arriving passengers, your only real concern is your departing airport.

This does not apply to international flights.

And, as cball pointed out, your AZ card would not be recognized in CA, so if you are caught after you arrive in CA then you would be subject to CA laws for possession without an affirmative defense.