Getting Evicted Nowhere To Go

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by hermandamerman, Apr 16, 2014.

1. #1 hermandamerman, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
    I have a Veteran friend of mine who is really in need of some help. He lives in Connecticut, but is getting evicted because he can't get a job in Connecticut. He can't get a job in Connecticut because his ID cards are are expired and from another state due to being in the military. He can't get a new Ct ID because ct has document requirements that he no longer has copies of and Connecticut won't accept his military documents in proxy of the missing birth certificate or proof of birth abroad. He was born in Italy, but on American soil. He has duel citizenship, but his papers and bc were lost in a house fire a few years back. He has contacted Veterans Inc. several times and they don't return his messages day after day.

He and his gf will be out of a place to live on the 23rd. He is trying to relocate to Massachusetts because Mass RMV will accept his military identification and then he can get a job, bank account, ect...

If anyone knows of some way my friend can be helped relocating, or anything in the slightest(even just info), it would be greatly accepted.

He has disabilities from the war, and off the battlefield as well but doesn't seek disability compensation. He just tries working through the pain but life and everyone else seems to be against him. He is also a grower like us and would be willing to grow for a qualified patient. Thank you and god bless.

2. That's proper sad, unfortunately not in a position to help. Hope he catches a bit of luck!

You're a nice person to try and help though :)

3. #3 cball, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014

tell him to seek the damned benefits he EARNED...jeebusskeyryst....he earned it if he was harmed in the military following orders.

something isn't right though, vets harmed in battle, disabled, have all kinds of access to paperwork and states do accept military papers....

edit:: a copy of a birth cert is very easy to get as well...

5. #5 hermandamerman, Apr 16, 2014
    @[member="cball"]

Birth certificates are easy to get for people born in the states. He wasn't born in the states as I stated. He showed me the letters he has sent for records request and the run around he has received. I personally took him to the DMV here in ct and that's how I know he can't get a Connecticut ID. As I have stated, he is trying to relocate to Mass from Ct because the RMV in mass WILL accept his military papers and wouldn't need the BC or proof of birth abroad. He is only 20 mins from Mass boarder now.

Edit: Thanks for your reply though bro. Any help is thankfully taken. And you do know it takes over a year for a vet to receive benefits after starting a claim? Seeking them now wouldn't help at the moment and would probably take up time that he is running out at the moment.

6. You probably shouldn't give out that number publicly just after you said he was a grower

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Besides calling and trying to get a copy of his birth certificate he needs to go to the VA..I didn't feel like I should be benifetted either but in the end you do what you have to do..also the main VA in St. Louis may have his birth certificate on file and can get him a certified copy

8. [quote name="MOPMan" post="19861196" timestamp="1397675624"]

You probably shouldn't give out that number publicly just after you said he was a grower

And yet you bring more attention to it instead of pm.

Once a grower, always a grower. I wouldn't give out a number that wasn't safe to give. If he was currently growing, he probably wouldn't have an issue with paying his rent and wouldn't be trying to get a regular job. I said he would be willing to grow. Thanks for the response though bro. Good to know people do care.

9. He already has gone to the VA. Going to the VA has not helped him as they make him wait 6 months for appointments. He is in process of getting new Primary Care Provider so he can get SS benefits and get seen in a timely manner and not wait 6 months.

He has already tried getting his bc from St Luis. They do not have it on file. The better solution is to go where he doesn't need a bc and can use military documents instead of hoping to possibly find a copy. Thanks for your reply. Just being able tell him that I'm getting responses and people are talking has seems to calm him some.

10. I honestly wish I could help but I can't. The only suggestion I have is to open a gofundme fundraiser account. I have hear a lot of good stories about it. I can help spread the word if you set one up.

11. #11 Jmosley, Apr 16, 2014
    I love our vets but it seems like he kind of dug his own grave here. Signing up for earned benefits has got to be less shameful (sounds like pride kept him from signing up) then begging online. It may be a very rough year while he waits for approval but only because they weren't signed up for sooner. I wish him the best of luck.

Edit. Put together a quick video and send it to Ellen. That bitch loves saving people. Sounds like a joke but it's what she does.

12. Pretty stupid to put his phone number on the Internet...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. I live in Detroit and around here homelessness is staring us all in the face. Nothing anybody here can do to help your friend unless he just wants a hand out...

14. Somebody already stated that. If you for have anything to say that can benefit the situation why even bother commenting

15. #15 paperplanes11, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
    Because its stupid. You sound like a nice person but the more u speak the more I despise you. I hope your friend gets everything figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Ok. That's some great advice. Thank you. I will let him know and post if he makes one.

17. This thread wasn't started for pity or funds. It was for people in the mass/ct/RI area to hopefully see and offer advice/insight/info. We all know homeless people are all around. That's why I am helping a friend try not to be just one more. Obviously he doesn't want a hand out if he didn't want to seek benefits he earned. He doesn't have anything to do with this thread other than he is the one in need of help.

18. Yeah most people go down to the VA when ignored.

Thats the logical place to start. They have all records on file.

He sounds like he needs to get up n help himself. Theres a lot of problems you listed. He lost his papers years ago? Why is he waiting til its a huge problem before he gets up n does something? Sounds cold but these are some self reliance questions.

Youre a nice friend for helping someone who wont help themselves imo. From 8-5 a dilligent person can get a lot o shit done. I know, ive helped a lot of people in my family who are the same way.

19. Whys everyone being an asshole? Fuck you guys seriously. Someone needs help and the majority of the rp's here are ragging on the op who's just being a friend.

I swear were not all jaded heartless bastards op. If he was in the Pacific north west I'd put him up. Wouldn't be the first grower I've had move in with me.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. Why do you assume he won't help himself? As I already stated, he HAS gone to the VA. People act like the VA is the missing link here, but he has already sought help through the VA and was not helped. The VA does not have ALL records on file. He didn't wait for years to do something. He has been trying for years to no avail and he is on his last leg because of all the issues rolled into one.

If you do not have helpful information, then do not reply. This thread was not started to be a judgment fest on the character of the person in this "real life story". It was created for a source of info/help. So if you don't have something nice to say, do say anything at all.