getting addicted to dxm

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Hunokeli, Mar 4, 2009.

1. i find my self taking it more and more. is this going to mess me up super bad? i know its not good for you, but other than weed, what is, ya know.

please no preaching. thanks

2. Yeah that is why I don't take it that often. I think it is possible to get addicted to but I wouldn't say it is extremely addicting. If you aren't into alcohol then I guess that is it unless you can score some mushrooms, acid, and etc. Some say it is like multiple alcohol binges when it comes to your liver and that it puts holes in your brain. All I know is I feel a strain when I try to laugh these days. Not a comfortable feeling and I've only done it once every 2 weeks for the last 3 months.

3. Yes you can and will end up with problems from taking this stuff too often. Some things might take months before they will go away from doing this too much and some things won't go away at all. Erowid is a good place to read about other peoples experiences and there are also some good guides on there that might help you further explain the implications of being addicted to DXM.

Personally I believe I was addicted to it for a while. I started taking it almost every night for about a month and I don't think I've harmed myself too much but I do know that you have to respect it and understand that even though it is so easy to get that it doesn't mean it can't cause damage over the long term. However when I was taking it that month I did notice my behavior change. I didn't care to hang out with my friends and everything in my day led up to the night when I would trip. My mornings began to be hell because I would wake up and still be messed up from the night before. I'd go to school, sometimes I'd even take a small dose beforehand and not give fuck all about my classes. Thankfully I learned responsible use of it after a particularly bad experience trying to reach sigma. I don't remember much but my friends were freaked out because I was shaking uncontrollably and acting just insane.

I would say that a smart user of it would stick to once or so every two weeks if that at all. Honestly after doing it a lot most of the really good effects leave. It no longer makes me in any way nauseous after dosing and I only very very rarely lose my stereoscopic vision. The special of the trip has really left. If I do it every once in a while I have a decent experience but any more than that and I don't even have CEVs.

My advice. Force yourself to cut back. If you really are addicted you'll know. You'll try to convince yourself that your bored and have nothing to do so you might as well just trip. Also if you're ALWAYS stealing to get it then that's going to end up badly also. I know because thats how I got it for my entire month. Every grocery store and rite aid in my area were ALWAYS out of Zicam Cough Max because I would take them all. A couple of them even stopped carrying them because they were basically lose all they put on the shelf.

There's nothing wrong with tripping on DXM once in a while but you have to learn moderation and sometimes, like me, its the hard way.

4. yea fucks up your brain big time and you its irreversible.

5. There's absolutely no evidence for this. Don't listen to this kid.

Truth is, we just don't know. There have been very few studies that have looked into the dissociative effects of DXM. With that in mind, it's always best to err on the side of caution and only use it sparingly. If you're addicted just remove it from your home, stop stealing/buying it, and give it a rest. Tolerance builds with DXM quickly so I'm not sure why anybody gets addicted to it.

6. Yes, especially if you take too much. Some of the more important dangers you might want to know about are:
    Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and allergic reactions (often from the cough syrup itself)
    Hot flashes, dizziness, and bad trips
    Psychotic breaks (generally from high dose use)
    Psychological addiction and depression (generally from regular use)
    Irreversible brain damage (from chronic use at high doses)
    The last -- brain damage -- is fairly rare, occurring in less than 1% of the regular users I've interviewed. They all used DXM very frequently. If you do DXM twice a month or less, you'll probably be OK. But remember there's always the risk of something going wrong.
    in the DXM faq on erowid.

7. Now go and read where William White retracts his brain damage statements. There is absolutely no CONCLUSIVE evidence that DXM causes brain damage because there have been no clinical studies documenting brain structure before, during, and after heavy DXM use.