Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Getting a Med Card

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Tseten, Dec 7, 2013.

1. As the title says I'm gonna try to get a medical marijuana card. I live in Michigan and i read that you can get a card for chronic pain. So i have had this terrible pain in my feet for years now, and it cause me to have to sometimes crawl on my hands and knees because of the pain. Stupid question, but does this qualify me to get a med card? If this does qualify me, what would i say to my doctor in order to get it. Plz give me step by step instructions. Also is there a way your parents will find out you have one. Im under 21 thanks.-Testen

2. #2 Hypoxic, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2013
    Is it a documented medical condition you have sought treatment before? Sure there some shady docs that will sign the cert just on your word but most now will want to see some medical records showing documented prior treatment attempts for chronic pain (ie surgery reports, physical therapy docs, pain management records). Chronic pain is so hard to prove and so flimsy that the ones I've seen want to see some proof for that. Technically they should be looking at the med records for all patients but meh whatever it's their license on the line. If you are over 18 than no your parents will not know and cannot find out unless you give explicit consent to the provider to discuss your medical records with anyone else.

Edit: I am in michigan btw for reference

3. Yeah, it sounds like it would qualify you too me. As long as it's documented. And you have the documents.

4. What state are you in?

5. My friend, in California, got his card for almost that exact reason. Yet it was a more mild case. He just had aching feet. 
    When I had my appointment I brought my old medical file, and my doctor said that was really helpful. She went through it all and picked out the things that she needed to know. 
    Good luck! 

6. [quote name="Hypoxic" post="19116263" timestamp="1386389348"]Is it a documented medical condition you have sought treatment before? Sure there some shady docs that will sign the cert just on your word but most now will want to see some medical records showing documented prior treatment attempts for chronic pain (ie surgery reports, physical therapy docs, pain management records). Chronic pain is so hard to prove and so flimsy that the ones I've seen want to see some proof for that. Technically they should be looking at the med records for all patients but meh whatever it's their license on the line. If you are over 18 than no your parents will not know and cannot find out unless you give explicit consent to the provider to discuss your medical records with anyone else.Edit: I am in michigan btw for reference[/quote]Actually yes i am pretty sure it has been documented. I have gone to my doctor a couple times about it. I have even gone through physical therapy. What would you think my chances r now?Thanks again

7. [quote name="Immortality" post="19116290" timestamp="1386389578"]What state are you in?[/quote]Michigan

8. [quote name="HerbTurf" post="19116354" timestamp="1386390108"]My friend, in California, got his card for almost that exact reason. Yet it was a more mild case. He just had aching feet. When I had my appointment I brought my old medical file, and my doctor said that was really helpful. She went through it all and picked out the things that she needed to know. Good luck! [/quote]Sweet, hopefully i can get my card soonThanks

9. [quote name="jreis" post="19116274" timestamp="1386389446"]Yeah, it sounds like it would qualify you too me. As long as it's documented. And you have the documents.[/quote]Love it!

10. Don't fret about it. Bring your documents and you'll be golden :) 

11. [quote name="Tseten" post="19116128" timestamp="1386387928"]As the title says I'm gonna try to get a medical marijuana card. I live in Michigan and i read that you can get a card for chronic pain. So i have had this terrible pain in my feet for years now, and it cause me to have to sometimes crawl on my hands and knees because of the pain. Stupid question, but does this qualify me to get a med card? If this does qualify me, what would i say to my doctor in order to get it. Plz give me step by step instructions. Also is there a way your parents will find out you have one. Im under 21 thanks.-Testen[/quote] a med card is worthless in most states unless ur having a hard time finding a hook up. Dank bud is EVERYWHERE a med card would enable you buy it "legally" at triple the cost.. The supply and demand aspect of weed is crazy(there has never been more weed available than now yet prices at MMD's are crazy) I'd almost compare it to the guys hustlin diamonds around the world

12. #12 Hypoxic, Dec 7, 2013
    If you get your documentation and provide it I see no reason you couldn't get it. You know that in michigan retail store front dispensaries are still illegal right? You need to find a qualified caregiver to get your meds from (or grow yourself). Most caregivers are going to be MORE expensive than black market. My caregiver is $400 an oz and my black market is either 225 or 250 an o depending on how many I take. Don't do it thinking you'll be rolling in cheap bud. It's $100 to the state, most cert places want 100-150 for initial cert and now they are req to do checkups which my place charges $50 for. A med card is not a key to cheap bud like on the west coast. Out here it's more about the protection is provides not the easy access to meds or cheaper prices.

You know all your questions can be answered on the LARA website under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act? I highly advise your read the actual law.

13. [quote name="Hypoxic" post="19117868" timestamp="1386423660"]If you get your documentation and provide it I see no reason you couldn't get it. You know that in michigan retail store front dispensaries are still illegal right? You need to find a qualified caregiver to get your meds from (or grow yourself). Most caregivers are going to be MORE expensive than black market. My caregiver is $400 an oz and my black market is either 225 or 250 an o depending on how many I take. Don't do it thinking you'll be rolling in cheap bud. It's $100 to the state, most cert places want 100-150 for initial cert and now they are req to do checkups which my place charges $50 for. A med card is not a key to cheap bud like on the west coast. Out here it's more about the protection is provides not the easy access to meds or cheaper prices.You know all your questions can be answered on the LARA website under the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act? I highly advise your read the actual law.[/quote]Did realize prices were so different. Ill defiantly hit up the website though.Thanks

14. #14 Hypoxic, Dec 7, 2013
    Yeah most of then figure if you want to be totally legit you'll pay through the nose for your meds. It's really only worth it if you either grow it yourself and want the protection of the card or you have a really great hook up to a caregiver. Also when you get your card they are not going to tell you who you can get it from you still need to find a caregiver which is a little easier than a black market dealer but they won't be breaking your door down. Your gonna be down about $300 before you get your card, than you need to find a caregiver and than the prices are most likely gonna be higher than BM. This of course is all moot if you know a medical caregiver personally and they don't mind taking you on as a patient and will give u great deals since you know them personally.

My biggest reason for getting it is my dad legitametly uses it for his MS and I'd like to provide it to him for free and I also enjoy growing as a hobby. If I did not have either of those two things I'd of stuck with BM even though I qualify for a card all day everyday with my med history.