Getting a Guitar - What to get?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Twistedd, Aug 14, 2011.

1. So I've always had the urge to learn the guitar, but never really got around to actually learn it. I've had a guitar before, but didn't really take it serious, but now I plan on it. Before I had a shitty First Act electric, but I want to get an acoustic this time around. I like the feel and the sound they generate.

I've been looking at some different brands of guitars and what not and to all the people who play guitar (acoustic preferably) which guitar should I get?

Washburn WD100DL Dreadnought Mahogany Acoustic Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

or

Ibanez PF30S PF Series Acoustic Guitar: Shop Guitars & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

2. Don't overlook Yamaha, they're a great value - I've had one for over 35 years, the model is now out of production, but it still plays great and blows away almost every new guitar, regardless of price, that I've tried in music megastores. Here's one that got great reviews on amazon, and it's in your price range.

GuitarCenter

3. I've had a Washburn similar the the model you posted, and it's done me good for the past 7 years or so. Yamaha makes great acoustics as well.

I've played a few acoustic Ibanez's, and I've found that above the 350$ price range, they're great guitars, but under they can go either way. Their electrics are pretty amazing, though. :D

Good luck with learning guitar, dude! If you really get into it, it's amazing. Been a passion of mine for over 10 years now. :D

4. Get the Washburn brosef.

5. Scratch that washburn, MAKE SURE you get something with a cutaway, you'll be thanking me later when you're trying to hit anything above the 14th fret.

and as a personal opinion, Electric > acoustic for something to learn on. If I were you I'd pick up the LP Special II GT

Epiphone Les Paul Special II GT Electric Guitar | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

You'll get the ladies carrying this beast around as well

[​IMG]

6. Yeah I got a LP knockoff not too long ago, its cost about 150 more than the epiphone LP special. I was just going to get the epiphone, but everybody and their dog has one. Im really happy with it though, it's a great guitar.

So far ive found the hardest part about learning to play guitar is just memorizing the chords and their associated letter lol, im such a stoner.

7. My best advice is to go to a local music shop. Most likely they will have someone who knows something about guitars there. It's important to play the guitar you want before buying it.

8. Playing the guitar first is really important. I've been playing for almost 10 years and every guitar i've purchased online has come with really bad buzzing, intonation was off, etc. Go to a local shop and talk to the owners and they should be able to cut you a deal with the initial set-up for the guitar. A good intonation and string height change can make a $200 guitar sound like a $500 guitar.