Get'n My "Geek" On!

Discussion in 'General' started by Pot Geek, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Hehe, I don't call myself "Pot Geek" for nothin'. I actually am a computer geek. :) I'd normally post this to a geekier forum, but I've puffed down a few bowls and feel more comfortable doing it here. :D

What a day. Made some $$$ today. I'm a Mac geek, by the way. Don't hate me becuse I'm a Mac user, I just "Think Different." Lady with an old Performa 6230 (circa 1995). Her computer died and parts for it arn't available, but I was able to recover the data from her hard drive. Then I had to hand-translate every file she had from MS Works 3.0 (note, not Word, Works), which is incompatable with practically EVERYTHING else on the market, into AppleWorks 6 documents for the new iMac I got her to replace her old performa. That's taken me a good lot of time, so I got a nice sum of dough for it.

Well, it couldn't have come at a better time. My poor, old, S-VHS, 13 lb. camcorder from 1989 was offically declaired dead Saturday. I've taken it apart multiple times. I even replaced the record button with a Momentary Push Button Normally Open from RadioShack. The erase head doesn't erase all the time, so if you tape over something you'll wind up with two signals on the tape and the VCR can't figure out which signal to follow.

I knew I had to go digital with my next camcorder. I'm very good at video editing the "old fashioned" way, with two VCRs. But I really want to be able to really edit my video, add titles, sounds, all that. And there's only a certain level of accuracy you can get the "old fashioned way." I want to, eventually, buy a new eMac to edit with.

After hours of reading reviews on www.Amazon.com, I finally decided on The Samsung SCD23.

What's even better, though, is that I also ordered a FireWire & USB 2.0 PCI expansion card for my Beige G3. That will allow me to connect the new camcorder driectly to the computer and move video back and forth. It's not the fastest machine in the world, and I accept the fact that vidoe editing on it will be painfully slow, but at least I'll be able to do it! OH, and I also ordered an 80GB hard drive for
    it, too.

For just under $500 I got a camcorder, bag, and a complete video editing studio. Plus they all fit under the "new gadgets to play with" category.

I'm a very happy geek! :D

2. lol, I'm a geek too. If it's something electronic, chances are I've already modified it or have plans to. :D

A Mac lover huh? You're lucky I'm in a good mood this morning, so I won't give you too much crap. ;) I personally am not a big fan of Macs. But I do think they are top of the line for graphic work.

I'll leave you with this though....

Q: What's the difference between a MAC and a bucket of cow crap?

A: Three pounds and a gameboy screen.

LOL!!! :D

3. I'm a geek, too. I also don't care for macs. I don't care too much for windows either, but PC's are still better as long as you Linux it. I don't think macs are even that great at graphics anymore. They used to be, but now PC's have caught up. My god-mother owns a graphics design business and only uses macs, but I think that's partly because she's probably never owned a real computer.

4. lets just say this, the new dual processor g5 is only as fast (if that) compared to the latest intel/amd 32bit cpu...

5. Yay! I finally got my camcorder! Sweet!

I love the night vision mode, it can actually see in complete darkness (no color, though). And it's so small and lightweight. I got a little teeny case for it. In that little teeny case I can pack the Camera, battery, power adapter, power cord, video dubbing cords, tripod mount, and lightbulb power adapter. And I have room for approx. 3 tapes in the front pocket still, and probably two more tapes under the camera inside the bag.

I need to go buy some tapes now at Wal-Mart.

I'm a very happy geek! :D

6. Im a geek to. Sounds like you had one hell of a time with that iMac situation. But sounds like a nice camera set up.

7. Haha I am a complete pot geek too. But how come I havent seen you posting much until today?

Anyways you seem cool bro (macs are evil, remember that) but other that that being a pot geek owns!

Later bro

8. By today do you mean 11-13-2003?:p

9. WTF!

How did I get here?

I usually just click "New Posts" wow I am fuckin confused?

10. to hell with mac pc is the best i got a Pentium D Dual core with an ecs motherboard 1Gb dual channel kingston ram dvdburner maxtor 250GB harddrive with 16MB cache 450watt power supply sound blaster audigy sound card with logitech 5.1 surround sound and a gefore fx5200 with tv out video card its fast a hell waiting for windows vista to come out then i will have the perfect setup macs are pure evil

11. QFT..i much prefer the pc for web and the windows os, but at school, the design comps are almost all macs. they are way better for handling and display for pretty much any design work.

12. How much $$$ did you get for doing that shit? Please dont tell me $500...

13. I am a potgeek I don't care about the pointless fights betwwen Mac and Pc users. There is never a winner. Why can't Pc and Mac users just accept that both are good in their own ways. Bill Gates probably owns a few Macs and Steave Jobs probably owns a few Pcs. I own 6 Pcs, but I am still going to buy a Mac because I like them for their sleekness. Everyone fighting just needs to sit down and smoke a bowl and just stop fighting.:hello: