Get rid of chromuim crusher for spacecase or sharpshooter

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by theNYCstoner, Jul 31, 2012.

1. #21 coekc, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012
    I know this is a bit late, but I wanted to weigh in on the Aluminum Shavings debate. I would not be arrogant enough to say that everything I post is beyond reproach, so if you have any evidence to the contrary, post it and I will consider myself humbled.

While I see the possibility that the Al-Al wear on the aluminum threads produces aluminum shavings that range from large to microscopic, I do not believe that this happens often enough or in large enough quantities to affect the user's health. Most aluminum components develop a naturally occurring sapphire surface, which makes it extremely difficult to process. That being said, aluminum is relatively easy to melt, however this will most likely cause a thin/invisible coating of aluminum at the point where it contacted the smoking tool.

In order to actually get the aluminum to vaporize and become airborne (called the Point of Sublimation) would require temperatures in excess of 4566 F, which is close to 3 times hotter than the temperature required to soften borosilicate glass. The water filtration found in most bongs is probably sufficient to re-condense aluminum back to its solid, inert form, just in case you happen to use an acetylene torch to smoke your buds.
    :smoke:

Hope this helps! Sorry for the long post.

Sources:
    Aluminium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Borosilicate glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My Job: Mechanical Engineer

2. Here's my situation... I am in the process for looking for a new grinder, and even though i can afford a Space Case, the likelihood of it being confiscated (whether it be by cops or parents, or me losing it) is very high. So I'm looking for a good grinder $30 or below. Would you suggest the Chromium Crusher, OP? I understand the bud gets stuck sometimes, but I can deal with that. But i wonder if the keif collects well and if it grinds good w/ out shavings? For everyone else, does anyone know another grinder? I'm thinking Chromium or Piranha..

3. I just looked at the Space Case "titanium" version -which is NOT made from titanium, at all! It just uses a titanium anodized coating over an aluminum body!

It's probably all good, but I'm just wondering why not get a brand-new never been used electric coffee grinder and use that to grind everything into a dust-like powder? It seems like it would do a better job than hand-powered.....right? Anyone ever tried a coffee grinder for herb?

4. Cosmic. Has Teflon lip in between metal. Shuts kief way over anything.
    This is 5 days after buying
    [​IMG]

5. no way to catch kief, and whats wrong with hand powered ? What happens if your electric go out ?

An electric grinder is totally pointless when doing it by hand isn't exactly laborious, and there is nothing wrong with it, plus who wants their weed in dust form ?

6. Well I agree with your last post but I was told that grinding it to that stage is essential to good vaporizing. I smoke mostly only the sticky icky and I have been scissoring the weed inside the bowl -so as not to lose ANY kief to begin with...but, apparently that's not good enough....or so I've been told.

And if the electricity goes out, then I wouldn't worry that much. It usually comes back on after a few minutes!

:)

7. [quote name='"tstick"']Well I agree with your last post but I was told that grinding it to that stage is essential to good vaporizing. I smoke mostly only the sticky icky and I have been scissoring the weed inside the bowl -so as not to lose ANY kief to begin with...but, apparently that's not good enough....or so I've been told.

And if the electricity goes out, then I wouldn't worry that much. It usually comes back on after a few minutes!

:)[/quote]

Heh, try it, I'm Sure its all personal preferance really.