Germination Techniques

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gianlucatoto, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Hello, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

First, I soak for 3 days.
    [​IMG]

Then, when sprouted, I'll place them in here.
    [​IMG]

Is that alright? Or do any of you have a better germination technique?

2. Normally I don't soak, I just place in a warm area in between a paper towel. Normally in 24hr they germinate and then go in to coco. I do use the dome technique when in coco with a heating pad and a light source at the top for a little more warmth. They'll pop out usually another 24hr.

3. put it in on top of your fridge, or in your grow room where it's dark but warm.

few paper towels, wet ... fold the seeds in, and zip up the baggie.

in 2 - 3 days you'll have nice long taproots.

4. Just started some beans yesterday. I soaked in water for 18hrs both beans cracked open. So I put both in soil

SMOKE BEAR

5. Thanks for the tips guys!

6. Placed in paper towels like mentioned and put on top of heating mat away from direct light. Here's hoping!!![​IMG]

7. I am by far no expert, and rather new, but, I feel like the seedlings I grow from paper-towel and water seem to not only germinate faster, but, seem to grow faster overall (at least initially).... This isn't something that I have tested in a control setting or anything, but, merely an observation I have seen over and over with the about 15 seedlings I now have lOl.

8. You should research around on this board and check out how many people kill sprouts using this paper towel method. I've grown veggies for decades and cannabis for a little over three years and have never used it. There's no good reason for it and no other agricultural community pays it homage the way the cannabis community does. Once your seed sprouts, you now have the task of transferring that seed into soil without breaking or damaging the fragile sprout, and you also have to orient the seed properly as it goes into the hole or you kill it that way. Wait too long to transfer? Dead sprout. Paper towel too dry? Dead sprout. Paper towel too wet? Dead sprout. You may find this hard to believe, but cannabis seeds sprout in nature just by falling on the ground. No paper towels needed. Assertion of this technique's benefits without any objective data, is the reason this myth persists. (Not trolling you Drugfullvibes, you just happened to be there.) I see more risk in this technique than benefits, and there are more posts of people crying for help to save their seeds than there are people exclaiming how fast their seeds started.
    I start my cannabis seeds in rockwool cubes, but you can use peat pellets or whatever starter medium you want. I use peat pellets for my veggies since they're going into the ground outside, so I know they work too. I moisten the cube/media as appropriate for your chosen starter,punch a hole in the media with a pen/pencil about 3/4" deep, drop the seed in, and then pinch the hole shut. Put the cube in a dish/tray and cover it to retain moisture. Place the tray in a warm space. The top of the fridge is a good place, I put mine on top of the fluorescent fixture in my starter tent. Keep the media moist, but not soggy. I use a mister to keep from over doing it. Having the seed in media prevents light burn on the fresh root, the seed orients itself naturally, and the mass of media around the seed helps store and distribute moisture evenly. Once the cotyledon, the first two faux leaves you'll see, are fully exposed, move the tray to its light source, whatever that may be. The cotyledon will feed the seedling for the first week or so, so no feeding, just water. I usually wait two weeks to feed, which is when I typically transfer the cubes into coco in 8" pots and hit them with a dose of Clonex, which is just a dilute liquid fert. You can transfer to soil the same way, leaving the feed out as the soil will again feed the plant for two weeks with no issues.

9. Will do! I'm open to everything. I have enough seeds to try all methods a couple times. I'll keep you guys posted!

10. Just sprouted all 3 of my babies a few days ago :) I planted directly into it's final container, gave it light and water and let nature take it's course. No nonsense.

• Like Like x 1