germination question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by nonfiction, Dec 10, 2012.

1. i just picked up a few of those jiffy pellets, and i pushed a germinated seed into it and it was still a little hard and a piece of the root broke off, will my plant grow? will it be stunted? im starting to germinate a second seed as a backup, but curious to see if i should abandon the first or keep my lights running anyways

2. keep it running. i dont think itll heal enough to grow though, but you never know. the taproot is a very important part of the plants. its like a brainstem. next time make a shallow hole with a pen or something, then put it in.

3. i did, it just wasnt perfectly lined up i guess, it was pretty fragile, and it was a fair size piece that broke off, but there still was some of the root coming out of the stem... we'll see, i imagine if it does manage to repair it'll be slow :( but whatever, we'll see

4. It's very likely it'll survive as long as everything else goes well, like making sure you don't keep it too wet or dry, temperature, etc.

You're right though, it will be slower. Waiting for a seed to pop is always hard haha. I would say give it a good 7 days before giving up on (hopefully) her. :)

5. Have you tried planting the seed into the jiffy pellet before germinating? I know lots of people germ in paper towels and such, but why bother? It'll do the job on its own like it does in nature and there is less handeling so less chance of messing something up...

6. 100% her ;-) and thanks! I'll keep her in an airtight container for the next week opening every few days to mist, i'll post a picture if anything creeps out :)

7. yeah? I guess I see your point, does it take longer though?

8. also, if i dont wait for taproot to come out i may put it in up side down?

9. #9 bmeat, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
    probably not. im going to do an experiment with my next batch of 3 in my s.o.g. i have seeds from the same plant, so theyre the same genes. im going to germinate one with a paper towel on a heating pad till taproot just peeks, and the other one straight into the soil.

you can plant the seed in anyway. the taproot grows down with gravity and the plant grows up against it. i think that the best position is taproot up, as the seed unfolds and pushes itself in both directions, but think about it. when a cannabis plant drops its seeds, they just fall on the ground.

10. really? oh wow great to know, thanks i'll be doing it tonight then!

11. :smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking:

Attached Files:

12. thanks dude, appreciate the help!

13. If i'm going to germinate in the pellet, how damp should i keep the soil? Can i put two pellets in a bowl and saran wrap the top keeping humidity in or does it need some air circulation (until something pops up)

14. man i had bad luck with the pellets i would not do that i just wasted 10 seeds

15. really? what happened? any chance it was the seeds? =/

16. Just make sure there is plenty of room in the container for air. With jiffy starters you have to be careful not to have them too wet or dry. They usually sell a tray/dome setup with them that works well.

17. how wet is too wet? how dry is too dry? would "damp" be an accurate word? the only hydro shop around didn't sell them >.< was going to grab like a salad container from a restaurant, will stuff like that block the light or nah?

18. #18 nonfiction, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2012
    Also, two tubes of full spectrum 40w fluorescent lights (30k hrs, not sure if it matters) (2 inches from peat pellets) is probably better than a few CFLs right?

19. [quote name='"nonfiction"']how wet is too wet? how dry is too dry? would "damp" be an accurate word? the only hydro shop around didn't sell them >.< was going to grab like a salad container from a restaurant, will stuff like that block the light or nah?[/quote]

Yes, damp is a good description. Not dry, but not soggy. They sell those trays at Walmart during the summer or any hydro store should be able to order one in the future.

Actually, if you have a hydro store I highly recomend rapid rooters over the peat pucks. I use a rooter tray with a dome and heat mat. Just drop in a seed and wait. It germs and sprouts quickly and reliably.

20. Just make sure as soon as you see green you uncover it. The seedling will need plenty of fresh air and room.

I don't like starting in the same container I'm going to finish in. I tried direct sowing this year and had my worst year ever in terms of sprouts. It's too hard to keep the seed at the proper moisture level. I use plastic cups to start in since it's easier to keep the water level in check.

You want your medium moist. Your pellet should feel wet to the touch but not drip. Anything you can do to keep the humidity level consistent is good, but once you see growth, let it breathe. :p

My method of starting is this:

Drop the seeds in a cup of water. Viable seeds will sink. A day or two after they sink, they will crack, and then I put them in a solo cup with mild soil. I use a spray bottle to mist the soil so it doesn't get disturbed. I keep misting until the sprout starts putting out true leaves. Once it gets a couple sets of true leaves, I start letting the soil dry out forcing the roots to grow, seeking out the water in the bottom of my cup.

Transplant into final container, and voila, you're out of seedling phase and into veg :D