Germination Methods

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Abe421, Oct 6, 2014.

1. #1 Abe421, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    Hey, GC, I'm about to start a grow. I just need help on some germination methods, and fully understanding one of them. Here are the 3 methods:

1) You take a glass cup, pour tap water into it, and throw in a seed. You keep the cup in a dark, warm place. You then wait no more than 3 days, and the seed should have sunk and should have a good tap root, making it ready for soil.
    Now, this is the one I'm having trouble with. Does the water need to be warm?
    And does this actually work? I have a strong feeling the seed would just drown in the water.

2) You take the seed, and put it into a wet paper towel, and into a ziplock bag. Keep it warm and dark, and you should have a taproot in a couple days or so.
    I've done this before just fine, and I wash out my paper towel to get out the chemicals. And I use water that has been sitting for at least 24 hours.

3) This is where you do the water cup method but only for a day, then you move to method 2.

Now, I have read that all methods work good. But method 1 is easier and simpler. So, can I use method one? Would it actually work?

Thanks in advance for all the replies

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 lFourTwenty, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
    I do method 1 and yes it works very well..3 days is too long though I only let it soak for 24 hours, sometimes the seed will have been popped but most times it's just getting ready to pop. Then I just pour the water and seed in the shot glass into the hole in the soil, cover it up, seedling will be showing very soon.

The reason to soak the seed is pretty much just to hydrate it and jumpstart the germination process

Alot of people do number 2 but trust me, number 1 is much simpler.

3. Yeah, I want to do method 1, for the reason that it's simpler.
    And you just soak it for 24hrs, and regardless if the root sprouted, you just plant it in soil?

4. Yes that's correct

5. I put mine in a shot glass for 12-16 hrs till they sink.
    Wet a paper towel put on plate put seed onto towel wet another towel place on top of seed close with another plate.
    I put in the airing cupboard for 24hrs then you will see a tap route plant in soil 24-48 hrs later you have a seedling.
    Alb with your grow.

not alot of people know that I don't know that, but I bloody well don't!

6. IFourTwenty, you keep the cup in a dark, warm place as well?
    And is warmth important?

CockneyDevil, thanks for the help. However, I want use method 1, as it's simpler and easier, and just new way that I haven't tried.

I think warmer temperatures make it germinate faster, but I never pay attention to it, I just do what's easiest..last time I germinated some they were just sitting on the counter for a day.

8. Hey.guys first grow here did the paper towel method works great the tap roots came throw in two days going to let go one more day then plant!

Sent from my HTCONE using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Both methods work. Both methods have the same success rate. Both methods have been scrutinized and torn apart by fans of either or. I personally will never do anything but the paper towel method. Others will never do anything but water. It's preference. But one thing I can say is paper towel method is in no way hard. It's the same thing.
    Take out a glass. Fill it with water. Drop in a seed.
    OR
    Wet a paper towel. Drop in a seed. Put in ziplock bag.

10. Paper towel, ceramic plate, put in a plastic bag, set on heating pad in drawer.

11. I've never used any sort of heat ( not that I'm knocking it) and I've had close to 100% success rate. I know warmth is good for them in that stage I just wanna point out that it isn't a necessary step.
    I guess the main point I was getting across is that I can't stand when ppl say the paper towel method is hard or a lot of steps or whatever. No one actually said that here tho lol so I'm just being protective of my method.

12. Thanks for all your help guys.
    I do understand that all the methods are very simple, and easy. I just wanted to try a different method. My usual method is number 2.
    I wanted to try method 1 to see how it is, but I wasn't 100% sure on how to do it, until now. Thanks again guys

13. I love the paper towel method, but I never put mine in a ziplock bag for the same reason I don't use the cup of water method. MJ roots need and want air AND moisture. Leaving them in a ziplock puts you at a risk of mold. A couple wet paper towels folded on a plate with the seeds in the middle works 100%.

14. I know it seems a lot of assing about but it works for me.
    Good luck m8

not alot of people know that I don't know that, but I bloody well don't!

15. I agree i use number 1 with no problems
    number two works also but i dont use the plastic bag
    I woulden't worry about letting the water sit out for a day and warm places to much.
    Its a seed and it will pop!

16. I would have to say method 1 is best if not sowing immediately. If using tap water and not distilled I like to let the impurities evaporate before chucking seeds in ( town water can easily kill little ones ). 24 to 36 hours soaking, does not matter if dark or light, room temp is great unless you didn't pay your heat bill then maybe put the cup on your receiver or set top box. 72 hours generally will drown the seed. 24 to 36 hours generally has a tap, if not I wait til it sinks and sow, tap or no tap.

Paper towel method I used to do, but I don't like the idea of starting my babies in chemically induced and manufactured towels. And like one poster in this thread said, "2 days in paper towel, I see tap roots but going to wait another day"...... them taps can pop out remarkably fast, can grow and intertwine through the paper towel, giving a noob a very easy way to break the tap, paper towel can easily dry out taking your seeds life with it.

17. My paper towels could beat up your paper towels

18. Gosh, I've been gone for a while, sorry about that, haha

But anyways, thanks for all your help guys, it definitely helped a lot. Helped simplify everything and helped me understand it better.
    Also, I actually wash my paper towels too, so the chemicals get out of the paper towel.

Now, the problem I'm having is that every time I germinate seeds, they either don't germinate, or the just barely germinate. The root comes out just a little, and completely stops, whether I continue to keep it in germination, or plant it. They are bagseeds, but I've grown a couple bagseeds before, but not sure why it's not working now.