Germination Issues - 1st Timer

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TapEmbargo, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Heres the specs:

Seeds are from the Sagarmatha Garderners Choice so I don't know the exact strain but were purchased from Dr. C. I received 10 seeds, four were quite large and lighter in color, the remaining 6 appeared to be from 2 different strains but were much smaller, closer to average in my opinion.

I started germinating one of the larger and three smaller seeds, set between 2 moist paper towels inside of a tupperware container set on top of a seedling heat mat. The water came from a RO system and the pH was about 6.0.

In about 24 hours the larger seed had a nice healthy tap-root. By the next day I transplanted it to a rockwool cube and within a week it has grown about 1-2" with the first set of true leaves starting to show. I cannot get any of the smaller seeds to germinate...

Anyone have any experience with Sagarmatha strains? The smaller seeds were started from 2-7 days back and I have nothing cracking open yet. I haven't tried scuffing them and I was reserving that for a last resort. I want to transfer more plants to the ebb/flow at the same time so they are on the same schedule.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    -Tap

2. I don't know everything, but simple is better. I just stick in wet paper towels up on a shelf above the dinner plates in the dark. I don't heat em, I just keep em moist, not soakin. Between 2 an 7 days? You might be a little impatient, they will come around in my experience, in the next few days, good luck my friend. I am surprised the one showed in 24 hours, that's great! I have had to wait for crackin, but I also had my buried sprouts come up within 24 hrs, again good luck

3. Thanks for the tips.. How important is it for them to be in the dark? Does the wet paper towel create enough darkness or should I put the whole container somewhere else?

4. Well, think of the darkness as the seeds being underground, the opposite bright light would also mean drying out of the paper towels. So to sum up, nice and moist, not soakin wet as this could promote mold. Room temp, out of the way, shelf in a cabinet, under the sink? Dark, moist, sorta warm, think like a seed my son, what would you like. LOL! Keep it simple, they will do what comes natural. They do not need to be sealed airtight, oxygen is good. Good Luck

5. If you are intending to grow in soil, I have never found any advantage whatever in germinating seeds in paper towels, it just adds a totally unnecessary extra step. I can in fact list several disadvantages.
    I start my seeds off about 4 mm deep in my compost mix, keep them warm and moist, they pop the surface in 1 to 5 days.
    If you were growing tomatoes or cacti you would read the instructions on the packet and put them straight in soil - why treat MJ differently?? ​

6. I am not growing in soil, but I do agree with your theory. The only method I have done is starting seeds in paper towels and transferring to rockwool cubes once the taproot is 3-5mm. Seeds are limited for me but once i get more in I am going to try starting a bunch just in rockwool cubes, similar to your methods in soil, just to see how my numbers change.

Thanks for the tips.
    -Tap

7. #7 cantharis, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
    Rockwool cubes can´t be your final medium - are you going onto soil or hydro??

8. Im always leaving something out. I am starting in rockwool cubes and will transfer to hydroton filled pots for an ebb/flow hydro system.