Germination in a cup of water?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HandleYours, Jan 13, 2015.

1. I've read that you can germinate seeds in a cup of water, is this true, or should I use toilet paper instead... Don't have paper towels at the moment.

One more question also... If it is possible to germinate seeds in a glass of water should I try and keep the water warm, or is 69 degrees air temp fine? Not sure of the temp of the water.

2. The best thing about using a cup of water is to determine if the seed is viable or not. All seeds will float to begin with and after a few hours to maybe 24 hours, the seed will absorb water and sink if it is viable. You can wait for the tap root to emerge, or just place in moist soil and it should sprout in a day or two. I don't use paper towels anymore, but that method will work also as long as the paper is kept moist but not sopping wet. 69 temp is okay, but 75 is better. Good luck!

3. Alright thanks a bunch. I just got some bagseed from some stuff I purchased, hopefully they're good!

This will be my first ever grow. :)

4. Stop throwing seeds in water.........STOP. It does not germinate them any faster, and its a really really easy way to kill the seeds. Just germinate them in a small plastic container with a lid or saran wrap and some humidity in some papertowels....thats it.
    S T O P    M A K I N G   I T    C O M P L I C A T E D

5. OP didn't say anything about germinating faster. 

6. #7 james.wolverine97, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    What if you were to get a lid of one of those multi family bottle of coke/pepsi bottle fill it in half so the seed is partially in water and partially sticking out?

7. If you are growing in soil just drop the dry seed in lightly dampened soil and cover it. 

If you are growing hydro then very lightly dampened paper towels in a zip lock bag works well. 

Dont dunk them in water,  there's a high chance of drowning and nothing to be gained.  Leave that for banana seeds 

8. #10 Jimmiejam, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
    It's okay.. I germed 9 seeds by letting them soak up water in a cup.. Tapping them down maybe every 1-5 hours (Do not soak for more than 24 hours).. once they sank I let them soak up 1 hour more at least and move them to the paper towel or toilet paper.. Keep the paper moist.. and warm. (didn't have any paper towels so I used tp)..

:smoke: