germination help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by stokie22, Dec 7, 2012.

1. so ive started germinating 2 big bud seeds today using the cup of water method. Ive bought a RootIt propagation tray, im just wondering how exactly to use it! when my seed grows the root do i take it from the water and just put it in the foamy stuff? there is a tray which doubles up as a lid, does the lid have to be clear on a propagation tray?
    when first planted does it have to be left in the dark for a while?
    thanks

2. Seeds have sank to the bottom of the mug but no roots are visible? Is this right?

3. yeah once they sink take them out, the water has penetrated the shell and you dont want to drown them. you can put them in your soil now. put it about 1/4" under the surface.

4. Do I not have to wait until I see a root?

5. you dont 'have' to. if you put the seed in before the root appears, then the taproot will anchor itself to the soil instead of anchoring it to a paper towel. imo this will save a tiny bit of time and effort.

regardless, you cant keep the seeds submerged in water until they root, youll kill them. you have to move them to a damp paper towel or damp soil/your medium.

6. I've got some sponge things in a propagation tray. Rootit i think its called. Was going to put the seeds in that when the root appeared then move the sponge thing into my coco when it had grown a couple pairs of leaves

7. sound like a plan. they should grow well in those airy mediums. im starting with soil, i would like to grow in peat moss or coco. whered you get your coco soil?

8. Local hydroponics shop. Does the spongy stuff just go in the coco or to I have to try take the plant out of it?

9. #9 bmeat, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
    straight into it! itll grow through and enjoy its home. sounds like youre on the right track. im stuck with some muddy soil on my tomatos POS hyponex organic. very old :(

10. You use the root tray and just put the seed straight in the root cube. No need to put it in a cup of water. Keep in a warm area and the lid will help maintain humidity. Once they sprout, move them to the media of your choice.

11. The lid is dark plastic doesn't it need to be clear?

12. They technically dont need light until they sprout

13. The roots have come through now. I have put them in the sponge things. Do I have to put them in a dark warm place? And should I put the cover over not

14. i dont understand. if youre germinating for a bit in something, no lights, to imitate being under the soil. when the seed breaks ground give it light.

i germinated one seed till taproot broke, and i just put one in the ground. the germinated one came up quicker. yay its growing!

15. Seedlings have broke ground and are a couple of inches tall. Still have the seed case on. Can these go in my tent now under the cfl?

16. "when the seed breaks ground give it light." as long as its not too powerful

17. Ye I know I need to give it light now, just wondering if it will be ok in my tent under the cfl

18. hell yeah. get some pictures up when it grows some veg. i wanna see what kinda strain you have

19. It's big bud. Surprised how quick it's sprouted! I'll get em under the light now. U sure it'll be ok? It's a 125watt lumii cf grow lamp.

20. image-2238778469.jpg

Under a 125 cfl