Germination For Newbies

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ShaunDizzle, Jul 22, 2014.

1. #1 ShaunDizzle, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
    Greetings! I am Dizzle and today will be sharing a few methods I have used for seed germination. Not only do I grow a little MJ from time to time but also am an organic farmer in the deserts of Southern Arizona. I have grown pretty much everything that can strive in these brutal conditions. I am a bit of a story teller who goes into details that probably don't matter so bear with me.

Plug Flats on Heat Mats- So anything we grow here on the farm that gets transplanted into field or Greenhouse and plus how I always sprout my MJ seed nowadays is started in a Plug Flat on top of a Heat Mat. It's very simple. You can find both flats and heating mats at Johnnyseeds.com I preffer the styrofoam flats since I can reuse them over and over again. So basically I used a small plastic container to get my potting soil mix into the flats. Wipe off excess dirt off the top of it. I then take a chopstick and make a little whole about 1/2 inch deep or so. Drop my seed into the hole and gently cover with dirt. You never want to pack down you dirt too much, a gentle pat will do fine. After that I water evenly and gently. Give time for excess water to drain out the bottom I just set it out in the yard when I water it. Be sure to keep the soil good and moist, never let it dry! Once there is no water dripping out of the bottom place it on your heating pad, set to around 72 degrees or so. I also keep it under a UV bulb. I usually transplant once I see the 3rd set of leaves showing. Use a chopstick to pop out your seedling very gently (there is a hole in the bottom of the flat) and then transplant into a bigger pot or into the ground. 

Pellet Greenhouse- My very first time growing MJ was back in 2002. I had decided I wanted to give it a shot on a single outdoor plant in Georgia. I had this really sweet tasting and keefy mid that is called "Christmas Tree" from Eastern Tennessee and it's pretty famous in the south and was graded as "fire mids" since it just had buttloads of seed in it. All the seeds, atleast to me a first time grower looked really good and healthy. So I am going to Home Depot to pick up supplies, I had in mind to do the paper towel Germination until I came across a 81 Pellet Greenhouse on the shelves. (same exact one here http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-JS81GH-Start-Pellet-Greenhouse/dp/B002JUR8NQ) So it was a bit pricey at around $20 so I decided to give it a shot since I just had literally hundreds of the Christmas Tree seeds to use. It's very simple to use you just followed the instructions. Instead of one seed per pellet, I went ahead and used two per pellet since I had so many seeds to choose from after I added my warm spring water. Sure enough, I was extremely suprised by the germination rate. I planted 162 seeds and got a wooping 159 to sprout. I took out the smallest of the two if that were growing out of the same pellet once leaves began to show. I remember this working method to work super fast too. The warmth from the water stays trapped in the greenhouse making for good sprouting conditions. I kept them under a small lamp for the first few days to pick out the strongest looking 4 plants hoping one of them would be a female and sure enough my tallest and leggiest was a girl and did pretty good.

Hope this helps for you! Also Hotkaps are great for outdoor seedlings, look em up! Just stake them to the ground please so they don't blow away and cause litter! They are great things though for direct seeding and protecting your small plant.