Germinating/vegging the easy way.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 3rd Monkey, Feb 5, 2019.

1. I'm new to the forum, not to growing and I see a lot of problems that could easily be avoided.

First, start your seeds in coco. It's ph neutral, drains water superbly, and dries out very nice. Even if you use too large of a pot, it is forgiving. Transplanting with an established root base is super easy, even to hydro/dwc.

Second, wait to transplant until you have an established root base. Nothing is worse for the little guy than destroying his root system.

Third, roots NEED oxygen. No 2 ways about it. Less water is more, until you get the hang of it.

Lastly, and this is for medium grows only, start out with the pot you are going to do a full veg in. Put the soil you are going to use in. Take a solo cup and cut 4 slits in it, from top to bottom, so the cup can almost "fold" open. Stop about 2 inches from the bottom.

Plant the cup in the center of your pot and fill it with coco. Plant your seed and water. When it is 3-5 nodes high, pull the cup, fold the sides open and transplant. If the coco is very wet, your vegging medium is also very wet, needs to dry. Mix the medium up a bit and replant it, with no water for a few days or longer. When your medium is where it needs to be, transplant.

The reason for this is so you have a good draining, aerated medium to germinate in, you can get a hang on watering by feeling the pot so you know when it needs water, and you can test the ph of your medium (if needed) before your roots even touch it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. How long have you been growing in coco and what's your feeding schedule? Got any pics of your grows?

• Like Like x 1
  3. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Lol what the hell is going on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. I've been using coco for about 6 years. I don't grow in coco though, I use it as an amendment and in my compost.

I don't have any pics of any of my grows, not a social media/forum user. Nor do I take a lot of pictures lol. Friend said I should check this place out after last harvest, so here I am.

Starting my outdoor batch next week, is there something you would like to see?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Welcome to GC. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Just trying to help some people out. I saw the pinned stuff but don't know how many other folks have lol.

8. Thanks.

9. Word! Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Thanks.

11. If there's 1 way you want to have a debate on a chat forum website writing a thread like that is 1 of that list especially seen as you actualy don't have growing experience in the very thing you are preaching about but welcome to GC buddy looking forward to seing some activity from you :D

12. Wasn't really a debate. Just an easy way for beginners to learn the basics.

I dunno what you mean about my experience, but alright.

Thanks for the welcome.

13. Well I didn't say you wanted a debate but a post like that will spark a debate weather or not you want it just look at the first few reply you got and you said you havnt actually grown in coco you use it for other ammendmants. Allot of GC users work hard and try to thrive for excellence I don't do all of the things you mention in your thread and my way works just great you said you don't grow in coco but then tell people to grow in coco then go into detail about why grow in coco. soil and hydroponics are equaly as good as coco for growing and in coco you should never let it dry for 1 day never mind a couple coco should be fed and watered every single day bio bizz soil is a quality medium excellent drainage with the pearlite ratio use biobizz soil with there organic grow and bloom and your plants will grow to there full potential and we all know dwc systems produce bigger yields under optimum conditions I'm not trying to be a jerk with you at all I think new growers should be encouraged to try new ways of growing and finding out what works for them good luck in your future grows do a journal for us to jump on with look forward to see some dank buds.

14. Ah, so it was a misunderstanding (totally my fault) about the coco.

I should have said germinate in coco.

The reason I say to germ in coco in the middle of SOIL (I did say soil), is because the coco gives plenty of oxygen to baby roots and buffers the nutrition coming through the slits in the side of the cup. So they are still getting nutrition this way from leeching.

I didn't fully explain and that is my bad.

For what it's worth, I didn't find you to be a jerk. Context is often lost through text on the internet lol, so it takes a LOT to offend me on the Internet.

Believe it or not, I do know what I'm doing (even without pics lol), I grow to survive... No shit.

This is by no means THE WAY, just A way that I've taught other starting growers that has worked with great success.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. No photo no grow is what people say however I don't take that philosophy I'm glad that's cleared up buddy any other grow please I encourage to take photos they are a great asset when pinpointing when plants start showing def and also to share with us I had a guy the other day say to me from photos experiencened growers posted on here inspires him to get better that in itself is what GC foundations are made of :D.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I've never had a reason to document a grow. I grow all of our food for the year, still building my house, raising livestock, developing this junkyard property I bought lol, so I'm often very busy and I will likely forget to take pics of things I would like to share.

We live mostly off-grid (fully off-grid here in the spring, so I'm often interrupted by social services inquiring about my kids and shit like that.

Anyhow, I digress. I started some seeds yesterday and I am looking forward to showcasing my methods. I try to help as much as I can around here with new growers and other problems, but without pics (I have pics of other plants in my grow room right now, just no weed at the moment) I can understand the shit I'm catching I suppose.

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1