germinating seeds?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by smokinwytetrash, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Ok so im starting my first grow and i was just curious about the seeds. I know that your supposed to germinate them in paper towels but when i put them in dirt which direction should i put the little root thing? Up or down?

2. First of all....germinating seeds in a paper towel is not a good method because you need to constantly make sure the towel is wet and it dries out quick. The best method is to put them in a glass of water and place the glass in a dark area. Then check them every day to see if they are starting to sprout. As soon as you see the sprout place it DOWN in the dirt because its the root. after a few days you will see the leaves coming up from the soil.

3. Just stick the whole seed in water?

4. yea....just drop your seeds in a glass full of water

5. The Paper towel method is one of the best methods to germ seeds m8!
    I would not recommend putting the seed into a glass of water and leaving it there to germ.When the tap-root pops out, it needs water+Oxygen to survive and could easily drown in a glass of water!
    If u tried the paper towel method and it dried out quickly, then u didnt do it correctly.U get a plastic tray and put 1/2 paper towels on it.Pour water onto the tray, leave it a sec, then pour out the excess water.
    Put your seeds on the paper towel and cover em lightly with another damp(not dripping wet) paper towel.Cover the tray in cling-film/Zip-loc bag to KEEP IN MOISTURE AND PREVENT THE TOWELS FROM DRYING OUT!
    Cover the tray with something to block light and place it in a warm place!
    Thats it! Check on em every 12hrs or so and as soon as the tap-root pops out, stick it into the soil bout 1.5cm or so below the surface with the tap-root facing downwards if possible, Either way the root will grow downwards but its easier and quicker to face it downwards in the first place, and place a little soil lightly on top to cover the hole.
    Hope that Helps!
    CWL

6. Use distilled water also with 1/4 teaspoon bleach per gallon. Water ipurities are removed in distilled and bleach keeps long tap roots from getting fungus or mold. Best of luck to you

Gg

7. Could you also boil water and get the impurities out?

8. ive never boiled them before..i was always afraid it would mess it up

9. Huh? u talkin bout boiling seeds or something?

Em, if u collect some ice/frost from your freezer thats distilled water!
    Or just boil some water and it should evaporate a lot of crap in it anyway, but it aint exactly distilled water, more like sterilized water.I just used normal tap water and never had a problem yet anyway!
    CWL

10. couldn't you just leave the water out overnight to de-chlorinate?