Germinating question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DJJROME, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Quick question for the newbie I used the paper towel method and it's been 48 hours I had my seeds separated by the kind they are. I had 2 each in a paper towel, One of each kind out of 2 differnent ziplock have a little root sticking but the other other zip lock bag still don't have a root. Should I let it shit a little longer?

@dj_jrome

2. #2 PatrickXy6dC, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    I'd plant the ones with roots and wait for the ones that haven't germed.  Sometimes it takes three or four days, but I would even wait longer.
    Have a good grow, enjoy the cultivation of your cannabis, and have fun!  Good harvest to come!

Also- glad to hear you used the paper towel method.  It's a tried and true method of germing.  It's great as you don't have to wait for the new sprout to show its head- you know it will.

3. Thanks joker and also I picked up the wrong bulbs and its 2 30watts equivalent to 150watts cfl I thought it was 6500k but it turns out to be 3100k at 3100lumens each. Can I use those for the seedlings until the ones I ordered comes in

@dj_jrome

4. Certainly, mate.  Use the ones you have for now.  Good catch.

5. I ended up exchanging them for 4 23watts 5000k Equivalent to 100w at 1600each ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1428014451.977127.jpg

@dj_jrome

6. Is this normal ? If u can't tell it's the seed on top of the sprout

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1428359327.038201.jpg

Stay high 🍁

7. Yep it's normal! Mist it once early on, and once before your lights go out. Should help it slip the shell.
    If the shell doesn't come off by this time tomorrow, you can prepare for surgery to remove it delicately!
    But mist it! Should help the seedling shake the helmet.

Also the CFLs give off more light from the sides(coils), so maybe you can find a way to mount them horizontally.
    Once you see the first "true leaves", not the cotyledons, you can pretty much drop the CFLs right on top of the seedling, to keep it from stretching. You can keep the CFLs literally 2-3" from your plants at all time, and they'll love it.

8. Even with my reflexive hood shining the light back down? The reason I asked is because it's home made and I drilled holes in the top. Plus my other plants don't seem to mine it. Also I have my light cycle 24-0 until all my plants sprout and I'm going to switch it to 18-6. That's actually the last one too sprout. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1428360497.803634.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1428360513.756377.jpg

Stay high 🍁

9. Even with tho hood bro! It's not that you're doing anything wrong, it's just that there's a better was to use the CFLs. But you'll still get where you wanna be with that set up. As your plant get's bigger you will have to add more CFLs tho, around the sides of the plant, because from the top, they won't fully penetrate down to the bottom of the plant.

18/6 should be your light cycle...You can do 19/5 or 20/4, but on 24/0, you're just wasting energy.
    The plants still grow in the dark haha, more importantly, the roots put their work in during the dark :)

10. Ok good to know and yea I'm adding more Cfls I have the y-splitter so I'll have 8cfls under each reflector and i have another one for the other half of the box that I'm making so I'll do that one for the cfls to be on the sides and lol ok I'll start the 18-6cycle now
    Stay high 🍁

11. When should I start adding more lights? Right now I have them under 4 23watts equivalent to 100w at 5000k 1600lumens. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1428849038.834371.jpg

Stay high 🍁

12. Put those clear cups inside another solid color cup. Roots don't like light. This way you can still pull the clear cup out to check on development.

13. thanks for the tip it's my first time grow

Stay high 🍁

14. Hey bro, sorry I just saw this thread and didn't respond sooner, but you can throw as much light on them as you can. All 8 CFLs are fine as long as you can keep the temps in control bro.
    Are you gonna make this your grow thread? 
    If so I'll subscribe to it! Just let me know.

DON'T water them again until your cups feel pretty light.
    This easiest mistake you can make right now is over watering!

15. It's all good man I appreciate the reply though. And yes I'm going to be make this my grow trend 😁😁 so thanks for the subscribe!!!!

Stay high 🍁

16. You got me in the mood to do some cloning man. Here's what I was talking about having a clear cup inside of a colored cup. Helps keep an eye on the roots of seedling and clones to know exactly when to transplant. Plus its just interesting to watch

Attached Files:

17. Previously I'd just double cup my red solos, but from now on I'll be using this one lol!
    I've seen the clear cups used without issues with the roots, but I always thought better to be safer than sorry and went with the red ones.
    The clear inside the red tho?! Sounds like a def. win!

Thanks for sharing

18. thanks for the tip man best idea ever I see a huge difference already ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1428959812.647891.jpg

Stay high 🍁

19. 6 god bud, 6 LSD clones all solo cupped and sandwich baggied in for the night

Attached Files:

20. How soon should I transplant my plants from the solo cup into a smart pot. And can I go straight to a 7gallon pot it will be the pot I'm flowing in

Stay high 🍁