german engineering appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by docleary, Nov 25, 2009.

1. I have a 02 vw Jetta tdi 50+ plus mpg. Other than living in Norther Wi and gelling up best car i've owned.

2. Do you have a block heater? they re less than 150 bucks and help out your mileage plus instant heat. I have an 03 (and love it) i live in nh and during the cold snap we had i had to put a space heater under my hood to get the car started ( <0 degrees F). Also idk about WI but i know around here most gas stations put additives in the fuel during colder months. My dad has a home heating hvac company and he does additives so that his bulk plant doesnt get all blocked up (additive also goes into the road use tanks).

3. the distributor is new, new wires, new plugs - but that was done to take care of a similar issue.

nothing done man, she sits and waits for money. i haven't even driven the fucking car in months.

how did you get your's running?

4. Fuel filter? Injector cleaner?

5. Doc after months of waiting and searching for the problem. I folded and took it to a euro shop, the techs worked for a week and gave up. Then the owner of the shop dove in and it took him another week or so and finally found it. It was a short in the wire harness near the ecu. That would only fail under WOT. Which made it so hard to find. ... In the end I paid about $400 for them to replace 2 inches of wire. But it worked.. Then I had to sell her. :(

6. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-KnkX_QCU]Audi RS4 AVANT NEW 2013 Paintball Fight Amazing Ad - YouTube[/ame]

7. #407 docleary, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013
    so i pulled the afm to test the flap's ability to move freely, and it was fine. but the bunch of wires that run to the plug that connects to the afm itself was split open, and the red wire is showing some copper.

now to find a roll of electrical tape in my father's shop... and that's no small task.

fingers crossed, i'm hoping that the red wire could be sending a bad signal and causing the car's issues.

i also pulled the spark plugs while checking the plug wires - 1,3, and 4 had heavy deposits on them. here's to the hope that that is valve springs and not piston rings....

8. Oh my god that looks like an insane amount of fun (the ad).

9. What do you guys think of that AMG Hammer^^

10. #411 Smokey!, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013
    If I owned it I'd change the wheels and take off the hood ornament, maybe even swap out the headlights. Other than that, it's a sweet car just the way it sits.

Edit: Something kinda like this http://imageshack.us/f/289/img02901lj.jpg/

11. so, my car needs a clutch.

which is what i thought it was, months ago. but i listened to my father, who said that it seemed to be a fuel issue. i've spent so much time trying to diagnose a non-existent fuel problem... but i guess the good side to that is i know my fuel pumps are fine, i know my wiring harness is weathered but intact, and i know the afm is working correctly.

so now all i have to do is buy a clutch kit and install. should be easy right? murphy's a douche. :rolleyes:

12. so, a month later and the clutch is almost in.

i keep running into little things that set me back from getting it done.

like today, when i finally pulled the transmission out from under the car, i removed the slave cylinder from the bellhousing and the dust boot around the rod is torn... not wanting to end up back under the car in a couple of months, i placed an order for the slave cylinder but it'll take another 3-5 days to show up. :rage:

on a side note, i found a pair of 2002s which by coincidence are owned by the owner of a property my dad and i are caretakers of, just on a different property across town. i'm thinking about calling him up to see if he is willing to part with them. then i could strip 'em down and sell the parts i don't need/want, because the bodies are rusty as fuck and probably can't be saved.

i've been thinking about building an m10 stroker, and this may be my opportunity.

13. Its a shame the 2002's are rusty :(

14. i know man... a roundie is one of the handful of dream cars i have.

but if i can part them, they'll live on in other 2002s.

they'll also help me fund my budget e30. god i hate being poor.

15. guy wants $1000 for the 2002s, which i can't do. maybe if one of the shells was solid enough for a restoration, but neither are. but when one door closes, another opens - i found an unadvertised e30 vert with hardtop for $700, not running.

the hardtop alone is probably worth close to $1000. :metal:

16. slave cylinder came in, so i know what i'm doing this evening.

maybe break in the new clutch a little... i need rear tires anyway.

well, we'll see if this little 4 can spin the 195's i've got in the back. :p

17. fucking rednecks from my hometown....

[​IMG]

18. Picked up a tig welder a few weeks ago. Still need some practice but the Audi is going to love the new toys and ideas I have for her..

19. man, its been cold the last few mornings driving the 318i to work with the heater motor inoperable.

looking for a winter beater, thinking rusty e30 or e36. really want something to just thrash on, without feeling guilty.