german engineering appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by docleary, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Oh yeah, I don't want everyone doing that. You just don't see people having much fun anymore. I sure as hell wouldn't go that close through traffic, especially with the vehicle I drive... has very little steering feel. But if it's rainy or snowy I'll gladly tear up a big parking lot and try drifting in the Jeep :p

I agree, it's scary how few people pay attention these days... And I'd love raised speed limits, why shouldn't I be able to go 140 down a road with a center divider at 2am when there's no other cars on the road? There really is nothing that could go wrong.

2. For one at 2am at 140 on any road, you would be driving beyond what your headlights can light up. Meaning no time to react to pot holes, animals, strands divers, vehicle on the side of the road. It would be idiotic

3. I should clarify, 140 km/h. Not mph. On a lit road, where there is a 99% guarantee of no animals. That is the road I'm thinking of.

4. Exactly. 140 is a very nice speed :)

I sometimes wonder why so many areas are restricted for bullshit and then I drive on a country road with some insane bends and still open for 100kmh :confused:

I don't know shit about what defines a highway or a freeway in america, but here we have 2 kinds of faster roads, smaller cities and villages are connected through "Landstraßen" country roads literally. (The other one being the autobahn obviously.) There you have a max speed of 100 but if there is a proper beam barrier etc you can basically go 300 (130 is advised). My driving teacher got lasered at 200, when the cops thought it was a normale open "country highway" which has a limit of 100. He got it cleared luckily otherwise he would have lost his job. Always good to know your shit :D

5. Ahh, that's MUCH different.

6. It's as easy as that.

And midintoke, I understand what you're saying man but with the technological development , driving a mclaren on 140 kmh is basically the same as driving a camry on 90kmh, the break response is the same, better stability and better vision to. Our reaction time is the only problem, therefor not everyone should be allowed to drive fast but the difference between an accident in both scenarios isn't going to be big as a matter of fact, you are most likely to flip over in a camry than a mclaren.

7. Yeah, I always forget that not everyone uses km/h to measure speed

8. Yeah, reaction time, the big problem. But there is another problem. The problem with speed is that breaking from 300 is still gonna need a couple of meters before coming to a fullstop or close to standing speed.

A german test driver of Mercedes Benz was in a trial a couple of years ago. He drove on an open area of the autobahn and was doing 250+kmh when moving close to a woman in some very small chinese fabricat. He came flying, she saw it, got a shock because of how fast he was approaching behind her, steered right, lost control, steered into the beam barrier and went straight into the woods. I think she and her kid both died and the guy obviously lost his job over it.

The nice thing about it that there is a conspiracy theory going on (even though I normally hate them, but because it's pretty obvious it's pretty clear that maybe the guy wasn't guilty)

When he was trialed for killing the two he had proof of being somewhere 20 minutes prior to the accident. If he wanted to get there that fast he would have needed to drive an average of 250 which is impossible due to all the traffic etc (police even tested it under same conditions and failed). Somehow the judge didn't believe him (maybe he is guilty after all), so he got a jail sentence of 2 years afaik.

The thing is his license plate was never recognized by anyone and the dude was seen driving on the right side @120kmh due to restrictions and loosing his job if he gets lasered.

It probably was some other test driver of MB...

I don't know why I just wrote that story, but I thought you guys might like it :D and it kind of makes my point of that in some situations driving fast can result in a clusterfuck, just because other people are dumb and I don't like the idea of that :smoking:

9. Here is my car, 1990 Volkswagen Corrado.

Got it at 16, im now 21 :)

Its been a LONG journey with her...maybe too long...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. What engine does it have?

11. Nice Corrado! One thing I like about most of the VW crowd is that they like to keep their cars clean - not all flashy, loud but nice sounding exhaust (not a super fart blaster), and many slap on a turbo or increase the stock's pressure.

I'm not in to the whole "hellaflush" thing (is that correct?)... I don't like cars that sit 1" off the ground with slanted wheels just barely stuffed in the wheelwells. There are a few that can make it look alright, but it just seems dumb to me.

12. G60, Like most G60s it has its problems right now, But it actually has never left me stranded in the 5 years ive owned it :)

But i can tell its time to dump some money in it lol

13. Here are some more random pictures of it throughout our history. Yep, it used to be green... and green and black.... lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. #374 IceCreamKidd, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  15. Anyone know these rims?

[​IMG]

16. kinda look like bbs rs

17. ^no, but they're pretty sexy.

18. well ok they re bbs rs look a likes that come on bmws, they are one peice instead of three if i understand correctly. A quick google showed they are bbs style 5s

19. so i think i'm not going to sell my e30. i think she's due for a new engine, and i'm thinking about spending my tax refund on the car. only, i cannot decide which engine to transplant into her. so i pose this question to other bmw enthusiasts, especially e30 owners: what non-///M engine should i go with?

i'm not looking for lots of power. anywhere from 200hp to 250hp would suit my eventual needs. i've had a v8 e30 and don't want to go that route this time. nothing bigger than a straight six. aluminum if possible. please don't suggest an m20.

i'm considering building an m10 stroker, but the m10 is an old engine.

20. Don't you like the M20 or M50B25 engines? Build a 327 :D