George W Bush on Immigration in 2001

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 506764, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Thoughts on this short clip from Bush in 2001?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. That sour faced sumbitch....a liar and con
    Nothing more.. just look at the ferret faced fucker..in the video he reminds me of a child who shit his pants just for attention

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Okay I'm no Bush fan myself but I thought this was an interesting take and wanted to discuss it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Where did Bush talk about illegal immigrants? He was talking about legal immigrants. When has Trump said anything against immigrants? He talks about illegal immigrants.

As far as America First goes, Trump has never implied he didn't care what goes on in other countries as in Bush's example of who cares what's happening in Europe. Trump is saying America's priority should be what's best for Americans, not we're the only ones that matter.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Trump's rhetoric goes beyond the legal/illegal dichotomy. "Why are we letting in all these people from shithole countries?"

Also, for the record, I don't necessarily agree with Bush. He warns against isolationism but there's dangers in interventionism too. We've seen that with how we've been targeted by extremists in the Middle East since engaging in so many regime change wars in their countries.

Personally I believe we need to broaden who we let in legally and stop toppling foreign dictators solely for the reason that they don't play ball with the US. We've ruined and ended too many lives fighting ill advised wars.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Trump was saying we should accept legal immigrants who can benefit America instead of those needing handouts to survive and he was right. Personally I think Bush made the biggest blunder in the history of the country with making war on in the ME. I don't care that everyone in the world thought Iraq had WMD. He made the same mistake people pushing the anti Trump Russian angle made and the anti-hydroxychloroquine faction are making, the truth will eventually come out and if they are wrong they'll look like idiots. Never take a firm stand unless you're certain you're right because you put your reputation on the line.

• Like Like x 2
  7. If we fix the problem with there being so many people in here that don't have papers we would find out that we could really use a ton of immigrants, no matter where they're from or what their education level is. Priority one would be putting those already working here on a path to citizenship. After that, immigration should work with employers in industries in need of immigrant labor and be involved in getting these people jobs as soon as they walk in. The harvest of fruits and vegetables relies heavily on an immigrant workforce because by and large natural born American citizens don't want to work that hard. There are many industries failing to find good help, they could gain a lot by a steady stream of documented and legal immigration.

We also need to bring manufacturing back to the US. I'm in favor of imposing tariffs on clothing produced in overseas sweatshops, just enough that it's no longer worth it to outsource manufacturing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I agree with most of that. If we had quotas for guest workers there would still be a stream of people coming in without permission. As soon as illegals become legal they become Americans and will no longer be desperate enough to pick prunes for peanuts. I have no solutions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Although I don't necessarily disagree, I don't give a shit about something Bush said nearly 20 years ago. The geopolitical situation of North America was vastly different in 2001. The 9/11 attacks pushed the idea of border security & national security to the forefront. Bush went on to enact a bunch of strict immigration laws like increased border security and fencing, e-verify with harsher penalties for people who hire illegal immigrants. He expanded ICE and had the most deportations until Obama. The wall idea originated with the Bush admin. Bush in office was much closer to Trump ideologically on immigration. This is revisionism of the highest order - the same people who hated Bush while he was in office committing war crimes are now trying to paint him as some We Are The World motherfucker. It's just not true.

Also America does not need to bring back manufacturing. People need to let this idea go. America is a post-industrialist nation with automation right around the corner. You're bringing back a bunch of jobs that will just as soon be lost. America needs to modernise their education system and social program infrastructure if they want to remain a 21st century leader. Looking to the past instead of the future is a problem that people on both sides have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Automation is a huge mistake. We need to give jobs to people, not machines. Automation is an important step in making the majority of Americans reliant on the government instead of employers for income.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. When more automation comes it's going to come first to the countries that already have a manufacturing base.

12. How do you propose to stop it? Not considering for a moment that it's already started and its too late...
    You stop the automation in one sector and it's just going to pop up in another.
    This is how economies evolve.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Automation is going to be the downfall of actual humans doing the jobs. In the future there will also be soldier Robots. No fighter pilots. No humans on Naval Ships. All drones. Grocery clerks, gas stations, Fast Food jobs. ALL GONE. Then what will people do????

14. We'll become slaves to the system. Totally reliant on the government to provide for us since automation has removed our means of providing for ourselves. We cannot allow this to happen.

15. I agree, but I dont see any way to stop it. Its already happening.

16. If the government wasn't so corrupt and ineffective they could stop it. But the people behind automation own the government.

17. in 2001 my grandmother, a democrat, was still alive and definitely supported border control

• Like Like x 1
  18. I think most support border control. Question is how to do it.

IMHO Drones, Heat Sensors, Artificial Intelligence and other high tech are much better than a wall. Wall is easy to get over, and takes Billions for upkeep, also disturbs animal migration, and alot of the land is on Indian Territory, and they do not want walls.
    Tech beats out a wall every time, and is less money to maintain.

Im a rock climber of more than 40 years, am 61 years old, and I can tell by looking at the tRUmp wall, thats its easily scaled.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Automation will create more wealth with the least effort than ever before. I welcome automation. It will lead to self sustainability imo. The real battle will be how to combat the powers that be to use the automation to maintain control and subservience. You put some solar panels and wind mills, what have you, up on a piece of land and you add automation technology propelled by renewable energy, you create product enslaving the sun and wind as opposed to humans. We work for $$ so we can buy things we need to live off of, but if automation were prevalent then I see less dependence on society. Imo it can't come soon enough. 3d printers will evolve and soon you'll be able to print what you need. Drones fertilizing and spraying crops, automatic combines (they already have self steering combines), 3d printed houses, medicines, ect. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime but I imagine generations down the road kids will be amazed at how we lived as they read in history books. We used to use slaves to make product, now we use poor people to make product, its the same system just shifted a bit. Once automation happens I see "modern day slavery" diminishing.

EDIT:
    It works in Star Trek lol

20. Where do you get money to begin with though? What about land? If automation takes over everyone is going to be locked into their economic position with little to no way to advance. We'll be entirely reliant on the government to provide for us. Sure, some professions can't be automated but there will be intense competition for those jobs. It's just another way to take power and money out of the hands of the people and concentrate it at the top. Not something I support.

• Agree Agree x 2