genetics and breeding

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by findme, Nov 20, 2010.

1. I have a plant that is called purple widow. Now I planted one seed and it ended up being a male which is what I waned for breeding purposes.

my question is, if i pollinate a random bagseed with this plant, what would be the likelihood of any future females to be purple?

2. #2 Loki7, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010
    ummm 25% Mendelian inheritance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Loki

3. sounds like you need to get a couple of generations going.... are you gonna pursue it or just grow this one out?

4. pulled clones off of both plants and waiting for them to get well rooted in the rockwool and then I am going to throw the male and female into a buble bucket and let it veg for a week or two and hit flowering. I want to get a bunch of seeds so I can grow out some generations to find the purple genetics and then make the female purple plant pollinate itself ( for femmed seeds). ... At the end of it all I should have the strain I want.... OG purple widow :)

basically at the end Ill have an OG ( og kush 18) purple (purple power) widow ( white widow). I want the bud to be purple, sweet smelling and taste sour.. probably too much to ask for but as long as it is purple ( my primary goal) and I have a clone for purple widow and a clone for og kush 18 then I am set to meet my other objectives.

damn, I have a loong way to go lol but I guess ill keep you guys updated :).

5. loki omg every thread i go to you end up being there an have some smart piece of smartness to share! = D
    you should tell us in this thread the color of them when you do breed them.

6. how many seeds are you gonna grow at one time? man, i wish i really had the space for it. well, space, time and money that is. lol.

imagine, a warehouse of thousands of plants, all in rows, just growing them out to note their genetic markups for future selection. it'll be like grocery shopping almost. rows and rows of t8's, and whatnot. you'll find your phenotype with ease haha.

sounds like you have some good genes to start with.

7. well, I figure it would be easier and to save time by allowing my purple widow female ( about 30 days into flowering) to grow male nanners and collect that pollen to put it on the og kush.

I have 4 purple widows growing and 2x og kush plants. Some are growing faster than others which is a good thing because it allows me to pollinate the plants within a good time. after doing this i will probably grow out... a max of 2-4 seeds. all I have to do is find the purple widow plant that exhibits the most purple and pollinate that with the og kush femmed pollen.

maaan, if they had a store like that.. That would be too awesome.

8. looks like youre on your way to a clone only strain, good luck man.

9. What do you mean when you say "OG kush 18", I'm curious what the breed number means.

10. the og kush 18 is basically a higher yielding/more sour than the regular og kush plant.

the breed number means that it was number 18 of the clones.. for information purposes I suppose.

11. How do you know you have OG KUSH 18? Is there a grand list of the numbers for each strain?

12. The breeder pack said so.

not exactly but if you were to get into breeding then you would have to label each plant and what better way to do it than to give each one a number.

13. each seed has a 1/8 chance of showing purple about 1/32 of being very simular to the mom, tough lines there for breeding. hybrids dont cross well...

14. So if something has a number attached to it, then it's not a stabilized strain? It's just a Hybrid pheno so to speak?

15. Very true. luckily about a few days ago one of the p.widows showed purple. took a cutting off of it and waiting for it to root :)

16. good then just keep crossin a male back and sonner or later it'll true up a bit.

17. not exactly. usually when someone labels and puts it on the market its usually an improvement from the mother and father. I guess you could call it a hybrid if it was but you could easily have a plant that is 100% indica ( for simplicity lets call it weedomatic) that if inbreeding were to occur, you would find a purple gene plant and the breeding would call it weedomatic # 12 or purple weedomatic but you wouldn't call it weedomatic anymore.

18. But then how are you supposed to know what the number is referring too? Is it just up to the breeder to tell you? I see that the number really has no relevance. They could just as easily call it ganjomatic right?

19. The number has no relevance other than the fact that it yields higher than the regular og kush. They could call it ganjomatic but I would be more specific than just that and put a number to it if it was a sub strain of a strain.

for example.

they have:

northern lights
    northern lights #5
    northern lights #1

each one has different characteristics.