general small indoor grow questions?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by texas_virus, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Hello you guys I am an eager student that would like to join the ranks of you growers. I just have some basic questions that you guys could probably easily answer.

First let me tell you about my situation. I am moving into an apartment in about a month and decided I would really like to grow, to learn and as a side project. My apartment is on the second floor and I will be growing in a small storage room only accessible through the patio. the room is where my washer and dryer will be housed. This means that it is a separate room that has a power supply, were I wont have to worry about light seeping in, and best of all will have tons (I will purposely put out a lot) of open dryer sheet and soap boxes so it will help with the smell.

In this small room I plan to use a small walmart cabinet, about 3 feet tall. As a lighting source I will use CFL's and it will be cooled with small fans, I will also rig in a carbon filter out of the exhaust fan.

I have read up on the subject and will continue to read more and more till I actaully do this.

But here are my questions.

1. Is a cabinet of that size (24'' 18'' 36'') a suitable space for growing? At first I was considering a pc grow box but heard that that was too small so I thought this would be fine for all stages of growth.

2. Can I use bagseed for my initial grow or should I use a strain?

I live near the border so all the seeds that I can get will be from marijuana that was grown outdoors in Mexico. I read that the plants will only grow to there alloted space so I am leaning towards trying it, just because I don't want to spend $70+ on my first try.

But if a strain is really necessary what strain is best for me. I want something that is short and not too hard to grow. One that will do good in CFL's and, although not a top priority, something that is not ridiculously smelly.

Thanks and hoping to learn a lot.

2. Hi Mate,

I am not normally one to respond to this form of thread but at least it appears you have somewhat read and have a general understanding on your intentions..

1. I have never heard of soap boxes for smell reduction - interesting... Plenty of info on here to make a carbon filter, if you want to ' join the ranks of you growers' you need to be prepared to spend a few dollars, more than $70 to get the proposed filter I would suggest.

2. Can't help with the CFL / box, I am down by Antarctica and those sort of luxurys are not common place. Well, that and we don't even use the same metrics...

3. Don't even bother with PC cases, you want a crop, not a hit.

4. Bagseed will work, you have little or no control over the produce / harvest. Keep in mind that a sativa will grow substantially larger, length wize) than it's indica counterpart. If you don't have a lot of area to work with I would suggest getting seeds from a fellow grower if you can't afford to buy them..

5. To the best of my knowledge, someone correct me if I am wrong, some plants grow better outdoors than in, I would assume that this is in relation to sativa / indica again allthough I am only experienced with indoor. The plant growing within it's space... not sure about that, it relates to the enviroment and moreso, I would assume, when you change the light cycle over. If you were to go for this endevour I would suggest constructing a grow journ: that way you will get experienced input to proportionally increase the overal yield.

6. What is the best strain for you, good question. Who knows really, I personally have not attempted lowryer, I hear that it is a very small plant which may work in your situation? I can not confirm any odour factor, sorry. At least with carbon facilities that should not be an issue.

7. As this is your first grow, I would look at starting with soil. Lots less to get involved with.

8. GOOOD LUCK, READ, LEARN, EXPERIMENT, YIELD!

3. Yess soil is so easy and maintenance free. Im a hydro kind of guy but I threw an extra clone in soil into my room one time and was amazaed how effortless it was. I once went 6 days without watering and it seems like the plant didnt even feel bothered by it. I guess if you keep the lights low and don't give the roots too much space to grow, the plant wont get so big (from my experience, i.e. my soil tree was mostly in the shade under a forest of 5 footers). Good luck!