General Hydroponics Purchased by Scotts-Miracle Gro Subsidary

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by OhioStateBuckeyes, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..

Dear Lord please help us.

No but in all seriousness they probably just bought the formulas. Obviously they're going to buy GH. GH is one of the largest hydroponic nutrient brands. Hopefully they don't change the formulas or add their time released GARBAGE to them but I doubt they would. IMO this will just make GH products more readily available and cheaper. More people are going to be growing hydroponically soon so this was a good way for them to capitalize on the upcoming market. They also sell the aerogarden so they probably want to corner the market.

I'm high but I think most of that makes sense.

2. They wont get another penny of my money. I guess I will either be switching to an three part or just bite the bullet and buy enough jacks to last a year or two. That's a damn shame, I really liked the GH products.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wow good thing i stocked up on GH products recently. but do you really think they will fuck the formulas up?

4. I'm not sure if they will mess with the formulas, but they wont tell anyone if they do. I guarantee what they will do is start looking for ways to cut cost and maximize profit. Whether that comes from changing the formula, finding cheaper and possibly lower quality chemicals, or whatever else. Scotts, Mg, Monsanto, whatever label you want to use has no problem peddling low quality crap to soccer moms and ignorant growers. Never mind all the other bad stuff tied to those companies.

• Like Like x 1
    great point, those big corporations will do anything to cut costs, and that will for sure ruin the brand. formulas are screwed.

6. For many years back in the late 80's and early 90's I used Eco brand nutrients very successfully. Check out their granulated, dissolvable line of hydroponic nutrients. Cheap and very very effective in a simple grow and bloom 1 part formula.

http://www.ecogrow.com/nutrientsadditives-ecogrow-nutrients-c-4_11.html

J

7. I have also been seeing another brand on tv maybe nature's organic or some shit. I noticed the little mg symbol on top. Noobs beware.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Thanks, it looks interesting. Do you have to supplement cal-mag with their nutrients?

9. Nope. This is as simple as it gets - 1 part nutrient, dissolve in water, pH balance and feed.

We were doing drain to waste setups just hand watering through a 50/50 medium of perlite and vermiculite and the results were amazing. I think too many of the hydro Nute companies today make things too complicated on purpose just to be able to sell you yet another bottle. With the eco brand nutrients it's just a Grow or Bloom formula. Sure, you could add other items to the mix but we never found it necessary at all. Very healthy growth with just the one powdered nutrient.

I never tried the liquid nutrients because they were a little more expensive so can't comment on them but we loved the powdered nutes. The only reason I stopped using them is because some years ago I switched to homemade soil organic gardening but if I was to still be a hydro guy I'd be using the Eco brand hands down. These guys were the ONLY other hydroponic nutrient manufacturer back in the 80's besides GH so it was Eco or GH. Since then a slew of other nutrient companies have popped up but jeez, look at how many different bottles they want you to buy - IMO it's all a scam to get you to spend more money. GH comes in second with their 2 part but Eco has managed to keep it as simple as it gets with their 1 part Grow or Bloom.

J

10. Cool, I may give them a try. At $28 for 5lbs of dry ferts its hard to beat the price. I had considered using Jr Peters hydrofeed, but you have to add the calcium nitrate separately which just seems to be a pita.

I agree on the nutrient companies. I believe 95% of what they sell is over hyped snake oil designed to take peoples money with little to no benefit. I bought in to that crap for a while until I discovered it is just as easy to grow a quality product without all the bs bud boosters, flower enhancers, and whatever molasses based miracle they want to peddle.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I sure hope nothing changes, other than being able to roll right down to Wally World or Home De Pot and restock. 
    Been pleased with GH lines. Will switch in a heartbeat if it starts fuckin' with my medijuana! 

• Like Like x 1
  12. will that really compare to companies like AN and that green planet though? they will very quickly be ran out of the MJ growing community if they don't keep up to par no?

13. Right! The Eco product was so damn easy and it's a complete hydroponic nutrient. I'd stir a few tablespoons of the dissolvable powder into my watering bucket, add a few drops of pH Down (or was it up? Lol) and its off to the races.

I specifically remember when those plants were in all their glory, leaving the house for 3-4 hours and coming home to new growth. I kid you not.

Simple, cost effective and very healthy plants is a win/win in my book.

Good luck man. Hey - it's worth a shot right? Made in the good ol USA is a plus too!

J

14. My only concern would be that science has taught us a lot more about MJ since the 80s, has the nute line modernized their recipe?

15. I doubt it will have any effect on AN sales. The only advantage scotts could bring to GH is price. AN is far from the cheapest thing out there which leads me to believe that the people currently using AN aren't doing so because of price. While I believe a simple three part nutrient solution can bring just as good of results as anything I wouldn't say Gh is superior but merely equal at a lower cost. If anything I think An and other nutes may get a boost in sales from people that refuse to deal with scotts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. that's what i'm saying! AN has the reputation, the only reason I use it is because it's the best i've ever used. it works. so i'll pay the couple of bucks more because i know im making my money back lol.... now there's even less incentive for me to try these cheaper brands to compare when theyre being sold to companies like that, as soon as the quality decreases from scotts trying to save money all the growers are going to be forced to experiment with new brands....

17. I couldn't say; but if our plants (there was a gang of us using these nutrients back then) we're growing excellent back then I'd actually hope that they hadn't changed the recipe.

Might be worth a call or email to Eco Enterprises? At the very least, a 5lb box wouldn't be a big hit on the pocketbook just to try them out. I've actually been thinking about trying a few plants again with it myself - just for fun. My real love these days is with organic gardening - ganja, flowers, lots of vegetables and even house plants but boy was it fun watching those plants grow on overdrive back then. They were on steroids, that's for sure.

J

18. This is all business folks. The #1 rule in business, is if it ain't broke then don't change it.

In other words, if any of the original GH products were/are profitable, then they will most likely stay that way.

Stop getting your panties all wadded up, who gives a fuck? It's not like there are 1000 different nutrient lines to choose from anyways

And yes, I use GH trio nutes

19. well, alot of people give a fuck, since their 3-part flora series is probably the most widely used grow nutrient out there (nobody uses the green bottle, FloraGro, so I guess you can call it a 2 part series).

Their silica product, Armor Si, is better than the others out there. All of the other products that I have tried get deposits built up at the bottom of the bottle (Dyna-Gro Protek-t being the worst offender). The last thing I need is Scotts/MG messing with the formula because they want to use a cheaper supplier that provides poorer quality minerals (or nutrients).

I dont want people to switch to other nutrient lines. I dont want to smoke Advanced Nutrients Bud Ignitor paclobutrazol buds. Yes, bud ignitor has paclobutrazol in it. Advanced Nutrients won't tell you their "secret formula," though.

Also, FYI, general hydroponics flora bloom & micro are widely used among hydroponic food producers. The pH balanced nutrients make it nearly brainless to grow fruits and vegetables hydroponically. They are used because its only $130 for 6 gallons of bloom and $175 for 6 gallons of micro. Now, those vegetables are going to be grown by Scotts/Miracle Gro products......Great.

Monsanto/Scotts/Miracle-Gro/Hawthorne Group purchasing GH is one of those big fucking deals to get your panties wadded up over.

• Like Like x 1