general hydroponics ph tester help please !

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Blazex1, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Ok so i know alot of people are familiar with general hydroponics ph test kit
    the one you put drops into a sample of water
    I dont have a digital ph tester
    so does anyone who has this kit and or a digital ph tester post a pic of what the color should look like at 5.8 ??
    It would help alot to be able to see the exact color im trying to get thanks.

2. its on the bottle
    [​IMG]

3. the bottle isnt nearly accurate enough. that looks like 6.0
    I was wondering if anyone with an actual digital meter can take a picture of what the water will look like at 5.8 exactly

4. [quote name='"Blazex1"']the bottle isnt nearly accurate enough. that looks like 6.0
    I was wondering if anyone with an actual digital meter can take a picture of what the water will look like at 5.8 exactly[/quote]

You won't get accurate without a machine. Growing start-up isn't cheap.

5. do ya self a favour get a proer meter mate drops never accurate esp for hydro

6. this is the problem with the dropper system... the water does not change color with a PH tester...

your going to be guessing... so just do the best you can, it will be enough

7. Oh fml! Got home and my meter is mysteriously not working. Reads temp but not ph.

8. Silly question, but is it calibrated?

9. [quote name='"Strain 23"']

Silly question, but is it calibrated?[/quote]

I fixed it. Turns out,.my helper left the power on. I changed the battery and prayed to the mj gods. And yeah, its calibrated. Not silly. We are stoners

10. well the thing is I dont have money for a ph meter
    and the ones i do have money for I dont trust
    like the yellow milwaki one for 20 bucks on amazon.com
    does anyone have experience with this one?

Well I have the test strips and drops, trying to use the best of both cheap worlds hah

Can anyone show me a picture of the drops at 5.8 though? just so I can guess close to that?!

Thats really what im looking for but would I rather be on the high side of 5.8 or low side?

11. I have never used drops, so I couldn't tell you the color, but my nute solution is deep pink and I'm sure it would mess up a reading with the drops. Those are meant for clear water. Now if you do have to use them, try going on the high side, then a little closer to the low side. This will ensure a broader spectrum and more nutrients will be available regardless.

Happy Growing ~23

12. i've had three of those... I loved it... it worked pretty good... but it only measures PH and does not compensate for temp..

I loved it till i dropped my best one in a five gallon bucket..... and I swore I would never do that... the other two failed because of dry probes... once you get a waterproof meter you will never go back

so if your in a pinch, I'd get that one... don't forget the ph UP, ph DOWN, and 7.0 and 4.0 calibration solutions(4.0 is not mandatory but good to have) and storage solution

13. how does all that work?

14. [quote name='"Tihspeed"']i've had three of those... I loved it... it worked pretty good... but it only measures PH and does not compensate for temp..

I loved it till i dropped my best one in a five gallon bucket..... and I swore I would never do that... the other two failed because of dry probes... once you get a waterproof meter you will never go back

so if your in a pinch, I'd get that one... don't forget the ph UP, ph DOWN, and 7.0 and 4.0 calibration solutions(4.0 is not mandatory but good to have) and storage solution[/quote]

The hydro guy actually said you can store the meter in the calibration solution and that only the 7.0 is necessary. That can save you some $$

15. Speed, never have I been more scared than when my Hannah went into the solution. If it weren't the combo waterproof I would have had some serious problems, and after some raging probably one less 5 gallon bucket.

Zoome, I have had the same meter practically since it came out. The Hannah pH/tdS/ppm waterproof and storing it dry I have never needed to change the probe. And although not needed this frequently, I calibrate my meter once or twice a month.

As for the 7.0 AND 4.0, that's the way I see it should be, use both. If you can use 7.01, 4.01 and 10.01 to fully calibrate your meter. It never hurts to be 100% spot on, especially when it comes to your babies.

Happy Growing ~23

16. how does that work? you let it sit in the calibration solution whenever your not using it? i dont get it

17. Actually yes. Although most companies make a calibration and storage solution. The cap on my meter has an area to put a few drops of storage solution where the pH probe sits, while the rest of the probes stay dry. The meter you buy should come with a detailed set of instructions including storage and calibration.

HAppy Growing ~23

18. sounds too complex. so are you saying that the neut solution will throw off the readings on the drops and on the paper strips?

19. partially true... using 7 will get you by... but without calibrating using the 4(mind you im talking about a good meter)your doing yourself a disservice... you need both to properly calibrate a meter... you meter will be off without the second calibration... i know... i tried to get by only using the 7... I was over .5 off... but like i said, you only really see this with better meters