General health check and spot question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by andyveedub, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Hey all,

Not sure what to make of these cheesequake plants I got from a friend. They were clones that he had excess of and gave me them around their 4th week. They started a little tall so I bent them down. They seem ok to me. Holding steady like this. I’ve watered them only 3-4 times in the last week and a half. No nutrients since repotting 2 weeks ago in roots organic soil only. Do they look ok? Need anything? And what are those spots from? The leaves have never had water on them so they’re not burnt from that. Any ideas? Thoughts?

IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1268.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. There is an issue with your plant. Your stems and stalks are an intense purple, this can be from a couple of things. I do think you have been watering too much. Not enough to cause puffy leaves but enough to hurt your root zone. See roots need oxygen, give it too much water and they drown like us. Giving too much water can cause the purple color you see on your plant and if you look at the tip of your leaves it looks like a “claw” or “talon”.see how it cures down like that. This is a sign of too much watering. I do not think you should be watering that pant 3-4 times in one week, but I have no idea the light, environment, full age, pot size and many other factors.

Purplish can be caused from a lack of Mag in your soil as well. I would back off all the watering and start with a light feeding on your next water. Do you have an end game?

3. Thank you for your help! It in a 2x3 tent with another plant in the same condition under two 600w LED’s that are around 24” above the plants. They’re in 3 gallon plastic pots. I guess I still haven’t figured out the watering thing yet. I’m not very good at this whole growing thing but trying to figure it out. As far as an end game I have no idea. I’ve been reading a lot and doing a ton of research but maybe this isn’t my thing.

4. #4 Diatt, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Your doing good and she looks good. I would back off the watering, get a feel for your pot. Lift it up after you feed, lift up a few days later and seen the difference. With soil, you want them to be very light and almost all water gone in the soil. Roots need oxygen and every time you water you deprive them of it. More oxygen to the roots healthier the plant, so wait as long as possible in between watering.

She will be getting hungry and you will need to think about some nutrients soon. So far with my leds even with just tap water that has a lot of mag in it, I still need to add mag to my feed or I get purpling. Mag is the most important nutrient in your soil and the most used. Mag is used by the plant to make chlorophyll(green color) and then the plant can convert light, water and co2 into energy.

When you talk about an led, say the brand and real draw from the wall. Also if this is your light source I would recommend only using 1 light to veg, and 2 lights starting 2nd week of flower. Your plant will 2x to 3x it’s size and will need the extra light during that time. Right now you really do not have the canopy to need two lights imo.

5. Cut your watering waaaay back. Let your pots dry all the way out. When the leaves on your plants start to look sad and droopy give them 1 full gallon of water each with a 1/4 strength nutrient solution of your choice. This should be enough water for almost a week 5-7 days. Like Diat said pickup your pots right after you water to get a feel for how they should weigh. As they dry out give them a test feel for weight. Feeling light? Hit them again with water/nutes. As they get bigger so should your nutrient dose. From 1/4 - full strength before the flip.

6. Thank you for the advice. The lights im using are viparspectra 600w reflector series rated at 269 watts of consumed power. How close should the lights be from my plants? Is two still overkill knowing the actual wattage? I was told by someone else on here after repotting, don’t feed only water for about 3 weeks. Is this correct?

Also was wondering about my pH. What’s the idea way to measure? Water and nutrients before watering the plant? Or check my runoff?

7. Best way is to get a ppm and ph meter. Mix up your feed make sure is between 5.5 and 6.5. Don’t test your run off waste of time. Long as your feed is between those you are good. Plants release ions into the soil changing the ph around them.

Best way to measure your nutes is not by ML or TSP but by PPM. Get a PPM meter they are cheap take a gallon of your water and check the ppm. Write this number down. PPM(parts per million) just tells you how much salt is in the water. Every nutrient is just salt, so keep in mind much like us salts can dehydrate them and kill the roots. Like us they want a good balance of water to salt ratio.

Add 1ml of one nutrient and subtract the ppms you wrote down from just the fresh water. Now you know how many PPMs that nutrient adds per 1ml. Do this to all of your nutrients one by one and record it. You can now tell how much ppm you are giving to both.

Let’s say you are in one week of veg, should give it around 100-300 PPM, because of you go too high on your PPMs you will kill your plant from too many salts. Now you know how much each one gives and can decide on how much ppm you want per item in the feed. This will make you learn much more about the feeds and how to use them.