Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

General categories of cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by nope327, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Hey guys. So I have been starting my path to becoming a connoisseur and started to question- are there parent categories of cannabis. For example there are ales and lagers for beer (sativa, indica or rudalaris) but within you have things like Weiss beers, pale ales, brown ales, amber etc. Are there parents categories of weed? I know there are skunks and diesels out there. Does all weed fall into basic sub - categories like these?

2. Damn that's a good question... I think theres just a lot of different strains of weed and some just have narrower categories like kush, haze, etc. Not completely sure though.

3. i feel that there are certain categories like kushes and hazes and exotic strains, but its actually acquiring said strain, and it being 100% authentic, that is difficult.

4. As they say in France about wine, it's all in the "Terroir".  You've got 2 basic strains of weed, Indica and Sativa, then the differences come from the soil where the plant evolved.  It adds different traits to the basic strain like flavor and taste.  

Now, I've noticed a homogenization of various hybrid strains being grown mostly indoors in who knows what type of soil.  I'm not saying that all weed now looks and tastes the same but it's going in that direction.  Compared to when I started smoking weed in the early 70's, the weed today is more consistently good, but lacks the variety I used to see in those days.  Mostly a good thing, but there were a few really standout strains back then I've never seen again that were quite unique.  ThaiSticks are one I have the best memories of.  Nothing, and I really do mean nothing today even comes close to the taste of a real ThaiStick.  NOTHING!!!  Gold Colombian is another awesome tasting weed, long gone.  Too bad...that gold taste is really good, not a sweet green flavor...more like a mellow, well cured smooth and mellow smoke.  Today's weed certainly gets me ripped.....just miss the flavor of those old outdoor strains.  It was unique.

5. I guess different phenothpes are like that. You can plant 10 seeds from the same strain and end up with 10 completely different plants that taste, smell, look and are more or less potent. Take medicine man for example. It's supposed to be one of the heaviest indicas on the market (original white rhino) except 90% of the journals i've looked at people end up getting nothing but sativa dominant phenos. F2 hybrids can give you dozens variations leaning toward either parent. A little sidenote is that the pictures you see on seedbanks are the breeders best stock of that strain. I was reading about a tga strain (i believe l) that the odds of getting that pheno in the pic are 1 in 140.

6. you have 4 basic categories of herb, each one is the mother strain of all strains out there! you have kush(OG) which originated strains such as bubba and purple. then haze which gave us super silver and lemon. and then diesel originating in New York, mother of sour d which we all know and love. and finally you have exotics that made their way into the states back when our parents were toking. this includes the stuff from acapulco and colombia which is rare and possibly extinct

7. Well as stated above it would something like this;

OG's
    Kush
    Haze
    Diesel

Not until full legalization will we have real sub categories.

8. The cool thing is that like alcohol, weed comes in different variations and potency.

For example...

Beer=Flower

Wine/Liqueur=Keef, Maybe Edibles

High Proof Alcohol(Vodka, Whisky)= BHO, Wax.

I dunno just a funny thought.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Og kush was made after overgrow got shut down and it's been fucked all kinds of ways. Thats why there isn't an original og kush.

10. Skunk, dank, pungent, blue, purple, earthy, ect. That would be another way of categorizing i suppose.

11. Guys, this is awesome. Thank you!

12. You got your essential land races, dont know if anyone mentioned these.... Your mexican and south american stuff, Thai buds, African strains, pakistani etc... All of these have been crossed so many times there are tons of genetics out there.

13. I would compare it to our genetics, there used to be pure races but these days everybody is a mix (for the most part)

Tracing genetics back to a source is exactly the same as tracing a family tree and there are people trying to do that. But the only reliable way to categorize is by % sativa and % indica, because genetics of strains we call "classics" came from parent strains that were the "classics" back in the '60s

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app