Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

General Anxiety Disorder and Cannabis

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Thebluelotus, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Hi ,

Have been smoking weed for 15 years now . However , I'd recently enrolled myself in a Post Graduate Computer Science course . I'd to do away with smoking green as I found it to interfere with me remembering course work . I'd previously been diagnosed with Test Anxiety Disorder , I just get fucked up real bad when I'd to take tests . On the insistence of my girl friend I saw a shrink who prescribed me something called Escitalopram . This just made me a man who I am not . I sleep like Rip Van Winkle (10-12 hours a day ) , struggle to get a boner , become agitated and feel like a weak man . Frustrated called up my dealer and just done smoking up a nice juicy joint , now I feel like me , everything is so clear and 'un' hazed .

Did a little research on the internet and all most all of them suggested against using marijuana as self medication for the anxiety . But I know how shit like this is so partial . So my questions are

1) Has anybody used marijuana to treat / control their anxiety disorders ?
    2) Is it really difficult to remember or learn new things when you are smoking a little amount of it say a j everyday or is it just in your mind ?

I feel so fucked up with my tests coming in a month . The medication made things worse . I live an absolutely healthy and normal life when there are no tests . I am 28 and have faced this problem for 10 years now .

Any help would be appreciated .

2. Sorry, but I cannot help too much with Q.1.
    Although I do have a friend who has tried all kinds of meds, and bud is the ONLY thing that helps him.

Believe me man, it's not the weed that decides if you are able to learn or not. Learning comes from your own motivation and effort. When I go to school baked, I actually do ALL my work (and to a good standard too). So, as long as you don't go to class (or study/HW/assignments) overly baked you do just fine!

Also, best of luck too you and hope you do well in your class. =)

3. 1) It makes it worse for the most part
    2) Its very hard to remember with general anxiety since your mind is pre-occupied with other concerns.

Meds work better for me.

4. Apparently , I have something called Test Anxiety Disorder and not GAD . I start puking , lack sleep for months and my heart starts pounding crazy . This does not happen when there are no tests around . My work ( a embedded computer programmer ) requires not so much learning new things but being creative . I found weed helps me in that all though I have significant difficulty in learning new things when on weed and when not on it I am what they call "damn good " . So i go on and off it as the situation demands .
    Medication helped me but I am not quite what I am normally . I beat up a friend real bad a few days back ( thanks to my taekwondo training ) when he was drunk and talking crap . I felt very bad cause minus the pills I would have never done that sort of a thing .

5. Thanks .

6. "test anxiety disorder"?

isnt that usually just called "taking a test"

not making fun of your "condition" or anything...but it seems like everything is a disorder these days...

7. #7 Thebluelotus, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011

I will have to second you ....I am not much of a physician guy , try my best to avoid them . But in my case test taking just screws me up big time . I remember once when taking a rather important test , going three months with half to one hour of sleep , loosing 7 kilos ( 11 lbs ??) of weight and puking at random times throughout the day . I do not think that is normal . I'd enrolled in this course just to overcome this phobia of mine and now I think I am loosing .

but it seems like everything is a disorder these days.

You dittoed my dad when I called him up and told him about this . His advice was Exercise , Eat good food and have good sex . :rolleyes:

8. I dont give two shits and a fuck weed is the best anxiety med out there and could help with jobs i am using it for adhd and anxiety try a stong indica

9. I have mild anxiety. It helps me to relax. As far as remembering things; that's not going to happen. Lol. For me at least.

10. Now a days mostly smoking indica , no wait its called Hashish a .

11. Your dad is right..well, I don't about the sex part ,but the exercise and healthy eating part is right.

Using Exercise to Manage Test Anxiety

Vigorous Exercise Linked With Better Grades - NYTimes.com

How Does Eating Healthy Affect Your Grades? | LIVESTRONG.COM

It helps me tremendously, I been getting nothing but As and Bs in all the classes ever since I started exercising and eating a healthy diet. It's so simple yet it's so effective.

12. im learning programming, smoking helps me.

13. You even say yourself that smoking weed interfere with you remembering course work...how would smoking weed help you on the test? Yeah, maybe you might feel less anxiety (even though smoking weed makes anxiety worse for most people) wouldn't you forget the correct answers to the test and fail?

14. #14 Thebluelotus, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011

+rep .

Yes sir I will exercise . Yes sir I will eat good food and no I wont smoke no more . But the sex? ;)

15. well i guess, at first, i was partly trolling and partly stating my opinion. but it seems like tests really do give you anxiety.

id call it a phobia rather than a disorder but hey, i aint no fuckin doctor :cool:

good luck with it tho man i hope everything works out

16. AHhah, fine, have sex :laughing:

17. any drug in pill form fucks your liver! just saying i would just smoke a big bowl of OG

18. [quote name='"Bun Rips"']any drug in pill form fucks your liver! just saying i would just smoke a big bowl of OG[/quote]

Finally someone agrees shit lately people on gc have just been baging on weed

19. I have really bad anxiety. I'm always on edge..and the smallest noises set me off. Bud is one of the few things that actually chills me out and makes things easy to deal with.