gen. hydro w/ coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by organicpanic, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Ive been reading up on coco use and finding something about coco absorbing potassium and releasing it later. most coco users have a line of nutes specifically for coco. I have the general hydroponics flora series for hardwater, w/ floralicious plus and liquid koolbloom, does anyone have a feeding schedule that would be good in coco.

2. Hello. I used this for the last grow following it pretty darn close.

http://www.generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/feeding_charts/GH_KeepItSimple_DrainToWaste.pdf

I used the Floranova series with the other additives you mentioned. I also ended up getting some calmag + and used only when it seemed they needed some extra love.

The plants seemed very happy with the system!!

For full disclosure I utilized the hempy bucket system with coco and perlite bottom layer and fed at the strength specified in the pdf for every feeding.

I hope this helped in some way.

3. thank you that does help. yeah what is this im reading about calmag and coco, does coco need supplemental calmag? i use the flora series for hardwater so i shouldnt need any extra calmag unless there is something w coco that makes it so you need more than usual. thanks for your reply though that looks like a good feeding schedule

4. Glad I could help another out. Please keep in mind I've only had one grow - so my advice should only be used as a guide.

If you take a look at Ed's mix he includes Epsom salts into the mix (magnesium sulphate, (magnesium, sulfur, oxygen)). He and his wife(?) are the local coco "go-to" members and I'm sure there's a real good reason they add it prophylactically. http://forum.grasscity.com/coco-coir/620656-askeds-coco-guide.html

I did not add it with every feeding - just when I started to see Mg/Cal issues. I had excellent success with the hempy/coco/GH Floranova/GH feeding Schedule but definitely had some issues which were improved by added calmag.

Not knowing your specific growing technique I'd maybe recommend you get in touch with Ed and let him help you. I believe you will either have to get the fluid CalMag solution if you plan on growing in straight coco or add Epsom salt to your coco mix to avoid any serious issues - especially because you are not using coco specific nutes.

Good luck and remember to "listen" to your plants - they'll tell you what they need. (Man, that sounds corny, but true.)

Bottom Line: Yes, you will need to add something to the coco and ask Ed (AskEd - appropriate name in this case) for some advice.

--spoom

5. for sure, i do have epsom salts so i might try and add a teaspoon per gallon. thanks again, i will definitely have some questions for Ed.