GC Suicide....Ask an Ex-Cop.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by budlover13, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Ok I got a real serious question........

WHATS WITH COPS AND MUSTACHES!!!!?????:p

2. I had the mustache because I could. I prefer a goat, but department policy didn't allow it. (And the ladies said it felt good too)

3. isnt tazing someone so gratifying?

4. How often did you see fatalities?

5. I've been tazed once, for training, and it sucked! Talk about feeling dehumanized from pissing your pants. I never carried a tazer on patrol. My escalation of force went:
    Verbal,
    physical(control holds)
    pepper spray
    baton
    gun

The more weapons an officer carries, the more they are expected to use less than lethal force. If you have to shoot someone, the first thing most people ask is "Why didn't you just taze him?" They don't understand that sometimes you don't have that luxury.

6. Probably once or twice a month. Most were traffic accidents.

7. And if it was legal you wouldn't have to deal wit this. Adults would have access, dealers would be outta the picture and kids would be more inclined to listen to a police force that doesn;t lie to them and wait till their of age.

How can I convinve my friend who's studying law enforcement that weed isn't some dangerous substance?

I respect cops more than many people cause they but their ass on the line to keep us safe. Its the lawmakers and propogandists thats the problem here.

We need cops but we need better laws and education too:smoke:

8. I know you said you support LEAP. Heres my question. Do you speak on their behalf? Do you contact friends on the force and encourage them to join too?

Another (2 part) question. What makes cops act like this? Why doesnt anyone report this type of behavior?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4xjaWjipZs]YouTube - Police Brutality - Baltimore dirty cop beats up 14 year old skateboarder[/ame]

9. I would encourage him to look into LEAP.cc and maybe even use yourself as an example of how benign weed REALLY is.

10. #70 Turtle, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
    Why do so many officers rock the 'stache, lol?

Hypothetical situation. If you have caught someone committing a minor crime. Example: You've caught them with weed, minors with alcohol, speeding, etc. How much does their record play into letting them walk or arresting them? You know, when you guys take our drivers license and type us into that little computer in your car.

11. I don't speak for them, just a supporter. I DO encourage my friends to support them. At least listen to what they have to say regarding the insanity of prohibition.

Part 2, well, some people are just assholes. It's unfortunate when a person like that gets a badge and a gun.

12. A persons record plays a major role in how they are dealt with. That being said, I never used the record by itself as basis for my judgement. I viewed most situations as being completely seperate from past offenses because everyone deserves the chance to turn their life around.

13. On a previous forum I posted on, they had an LEO from Florida for a member. Confirmed by the owner and everything. He spent years helping folks.

So, kudos to you for coming out and hope you stick around (that didn't sound too gay, did it?).

You were a cop in Cali, you said? How did the Medical Marijuana laws affect your policing?

14. Thank you. The MMJ law(Prop215) didn't pass until I was leaving the force. I worked in the mid 90's. So technically it didn't affect me but I was an advocate of MMJ so I really just used my discretion. I've always viewed smoking pot as a victimless crime and in my opinion, if there is no victim there is no crime.

15. a question about persons of interest.

say there was some kind of crime committed yesterday. like a robbery or an assault. or hell even a murder. then the detectives round up witnesses or get clues that lead them to think mr Schmoe has some information they need to get the case done with.

question is, do they put an actual warrant out for this guy they want to talk to? or do they just put it on the hot sheets as a person of interest? AND... when they find the guy if there is no warrant, does the person have to cooperate and go to the station to talk to them? AND... is he placed under arrest for the questioning? and given the right to talk to an attorney?

well i know he can always talk to an attorney but i just want to know if he is read his rights before questioning.

im just watching First 48 a lot and they just seem to go about this kind of thing like its no big deal and they dont always explain certain things very well.

16. thanks for answerin, u seem like a pretty chill cop

17. Wow, lots to this one. A witness can be charged with obstruction if they refuse to cooperate in an investigation. The charges won't always stick, especially with a good lawyer, but it can be done. MOST of the time the best way to get someone to cooperate is using the "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" approach. I was never a detective, which usually handles the investigation, but I do know that it is done quite a bit.

Another way is leverage. In most places, a person can be held for questioning for up to 72hrs without being arrested or charged. This applies to a suspect though, idk about a witness. As a witness OR a suspect, the key phrases to pay attention to are "You have the right to speak to an attorney"(nowhere does it say immediately), "before, during, OR after answering any questions"(OR means 1 will be available to you), and "You have the right to remain silent"(doesn't mean you won't be silent while being held for 72 hours without legal representation).

I would imagine that an officer wouldn't require a witness to go to the station for questioning out of a desire to make them as comfortable and safe as possible. A dead witness does nobody any good. To my knowledge there usually isn't a warrant except in extreme circumstances(such as a court order compelling them to testify). The warrant would not be issued until the person refused to cooperate and then the charge would most likely be Contempt or Obstruction. A person cannot be compelled to incriminate themselves with testimony, but they can be forced to incriminate others.

18. that fucked up.

BUT, i dont know that in court if you are issued a subpoena, if you dont want to snitch, all you have to say is "i cant remember". this works especially well if the witness feels threatened by the suspect or was at one point a victim in a different circumstance.

the reason being is that if you say i DONT remember is that you are conveniently forgetting and thus could just be making up a story or trying to pussyfoot the question. by saying CANT remember it means that you either dont remember cuz your mind didnt take note of the situation, or that your mind wont allow you to remember because it blocked out something painful.

but i think if you are friends with the suspect or happened to be with them before or after the crime was committed shouldnt mean you MUST provide details of your activities cuz what if they involved some crime not being investigated yet.

like say dude comes to my place cuz he is dropping off a bunch of weed and we go real fast to make a deal with a dude. then ends up later after we depart, dude leaves and goes to rob some guy down the street. that shouldnt mean that i should have to say anything about the guy, cuz for one i dont know and all i know is that i didnt have anything to do with what was happening after the fact we were together. and that shouldnt mean i should have ot go into detail to prove to them i dont know.

i know it would make me look like sketchy, but unless they have actual evidence that says i was slightly involved in the crime in question. i shouldnt be made to answer to anything. and when i say evidence i mean like a finger print, or something with my name on it.

so heres a legit question. we know your stance on weed, but whats your overall opinion of the american governmental system. like legislative, executive, and judicial systems. when i ask i mean do you think that there are certain laws that have been passed just to fuck with people? like for example, the law requiring you to have a light for your license plate. to me thats pretty stupid. i can see its purpose, but anyone who is authorized to run a persons plate ought to have a flashlight handy or one of those swivel lights on the cop cars.

also why is it a law to be required to be in possession of your drivers license at all times in your car, if the cop is gonna run the thing anyways in the computer to see if its active or not. i can see you should have it for ID purposes, but i keep an ID in my car anyways just in case i forget my wallet or lose my id like i have before.

i think those are blue laws that dont really mean anything its just they are leverage for a cop to stop someone when otherwise they arent doing anything wrong, like not wearing a seatbelt.

do you think that the legislative branch give the executive branch too much power? and do you think that the judicial branch is a little too lenient on the executive branch when they do something a little too far past the line?

19. I think the overall governmental system is too oppressive as it stands. There is too much corruption and money involved. Like privatized prisons. How can you make an industry that is dependent of inmate population for a profit? It is unethical and immoral no matter how I look at it.

It is my personal belief that there should be no law passed that isn't approved by the public.

I don't think the license plate law was intended as a tool to investigate but has become one. I can't even count the number of vehicles I stopped for that. I don't doubt that that was the intent of some though.

Idk the reasoning behind having to have your license in possession except for ID purposes. Like many of the laws today, it's just enforced.

I also think that our system of checks and balances is way out of whack. I honestly don't even see it existing anymore. There's too much money and corruption.

20. Did you know any crooked cops? Like those that plant evidence on innocent people or steal things. How hard is it for a civilian to prove that a cop stole/planted evidence?